Hope I did the right thing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Hope I did the right thing!

Went apple picking this weekend at a place called Tougas farm here in Northborough MA. when I was walking back to the car, my wife spotted a nice red vette there, probably a 69, ( i don't know the difference between the chrome bumper cars ). I noticed he left his running lights on, having JUST dealt with leaving my lights on and killing my battery I gently put down tha bag of apples, walked over and ever so carefully reach over the window ( t-tops were off but windows were up) and pushed in the light switch. I hope I did the right thing. always a questionable situation when it comes to another man's vette.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

I definitely think you did the right thing. I sure would have appreciated your act of kindness!!

John

Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I would have thanked you.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:38 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Awesome thing to do. You didn't happen to take my cigarette lighter did you ?. lol.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:54 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default I'd say thanks

Originally Posted by Tooonz
Went apple picking this weekend at a place called Tougas farm here in Northborough MA. when I was walking back to the car, my wife spotted a nice red vette there, probably a 69, ( i don't know the difference between the chrome bumper cars ). I noticed he left his running lights on, having JUST dealt with leaving my lights on and killing my battery I gently put down tha bag of apples, walked over and ever so carefully reach over the window ( t-tops were off but windows were up) and pushed in the light switch. I hope I did the right thing. always a questionable situation when it comes to another man's vette.
Doing something like that is a decent thing.

From another p.o.v I recently stopped by a bike shop on my Wide Glide. I was only standing a few feet away talking to the owner and didn't lock the ignition. Quiet place, been going there for years and was about to get right back on. It wasn't in my direct line of sight however.

Someone I casually knew from the gym said hello to me....and then a few minutes later came back in and said 'nice bike' and commented on the mileage.

Uhhhh...you have to turn on the ignition to see that. Definitely NOT cool or decent. I never said a word to him - considered it a lesson to myself to lock it no matter what. I've seen him since and he's unaware that he might have done something wrong. I never said a word to him - he's not the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree and it would be pointless. One day he'll put his fingers on the wrong bike...

Helping someone out is the right thing to do. Being nosy ain't
Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 AM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I would have done the same and maybe left a note just in case somebody reported you and it got back to the owner. It would drive me nuts to know that a stranger was reaching over the glass without knowing why.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
Awesome thing to do. You didn't happen to take my cigarette lighter did you ?. lol.
No it was not me !

Touching another persons vette is always risky, or any classic car to be exact. But I now what a dead battery feels like from leaving the running lights on. They will never know. The note idea was a good one.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:53 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

You definitely did good! I did not see this personally, but at a car show at the huge Corvette dealer here in north Myrtle Beach, my wife saw someone sitting in OUR 68 coupe!!! She had to tell him to get out of the passenger seat! She or I would have let him sit in it if we had been around and he had asked us. Lou.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooonz
No it was not me !

Touching another persons vette is always risky, or any classic car to be exact. But I now what a dead battery feels like from leaving the running lights on. They will never know. The note idea was a good one.
Your right, leaving a note could have let someone know what you did just in case someone saw you, but no biggie, you did a great thing.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:30 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Definitely the right thing. Granted the owner would have wondered what the hell you were doing if they happened to be walking up, but, I can't imagine in what situation he or she wouldn't be thankful for your help.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:33 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Just Ask.... were really nice people...

Went to a local cruise nite and had this young lady ask if she could take a photo op with my car. I told her open it up and take a pic in the drivers seat.
She about fainted.
She got all giggly and ran over to the door.
I said it's a 68 its got a push button.
She smiled smartly and said you think I didn't know it was a 68.
Here her daddy has a 73.
I was actually flattered.

But on the flip side... if I walked back and found here sitting inside with out asking I might have been a little short with her.

By the way I would have appreciated what you did if it was my car.
Marshal

Last edited by marshal135; 09-11-2017 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts along the way
Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
You definitely did good! I did not see this personally, but at a car show at the huge Corvette dealer here in north Myrtle Beach, my wife saw someone sitting in OUR 68 coupe!!! She had to tell him to get out of the passenger seat! She or I would have let him sit in it if we had been around and he had asked us. Lou.
This kind of stuff always amazes me. In what world is it ok to make yourself at home in another man's ride, without getting permission?

At car shows, you wouldn't even think the "Look but don't touch" signs would be necessary. Sadly, not the case.

Being a good Samaritan and turning off the lights is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Well done!

Last edited by RJ1AZ; 09-11-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well, there are people who would not appreciate your doing something to help them...even though their battery would be drained when they returned.

But, I never question trying to help another fellow human...even if they are really a$$29itS.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:57 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,294 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I leave mine on all the time. Alot of people have actually come up to me to remind me. I also leave the windows down so I wouldnt be surprised if someone nice like you actually saved my but and shut off my lights for me.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:17 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I went through a spell where someone thought it great fun to turn my wiper switch on in the parking lot at work, always having the tops off. I eventually learned to check the switch before starting the car. Never found out who it was but it stopped eventually.

Last edited by revitup; 09-12-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:56 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I would have done the same thing! Good for you.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:13 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by revitup
I went through a spell where someone thought it great fun to turn my wiper switch on in the parking lot at work, always having the tops off. I eventually learned to check the switch before starting the car. Never found out who it was but it stopped eventually.
As long as this was meant in fun, I wouldn't be agree. But there is no way to tell that. I guess your response would be whatever mood you are in.

Get notified of new replies

To Hope I did the right thing!

Old 09-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
My husband is a mechanic. One time at his shop after hours they had a third generation firebird there and I was wondering about changing the seats in my C3. I liked the way the firebird's seats looked and asked him if I could sit in it to see how they felt. He wouldn't let me.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well, he was there and you asked if you could sit in it. He said "No" and that is certainly the owner's choice to make. If the owner is available, asking would be the proper thing to do...as would abiding by the owner's wishes.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:26 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Your husband was working on this guy's Firebird and he would not let you sit in his car!!!
I have NEVER denied anyone to sit in my car, as a matter of fact, I tell people to sit in my 68 coupe and you would not not believe how excited they are to do so. Lou.

Quick Reply: Hope I did the right thing!