Sponsored by:

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Kidwonder33
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain

I know this comes up alot and trust me I have read all the other post and what not and tried some of the suggestions on those post. But I am still getting a battery drain. So, I wondered if it was so how coming from the alternator plug it's self. For I just put a new alternator in the corvette. So the corvette was converted to serpentine driven and the alternator plug was changed to the cs plug. So I did some volt readings on the plug with the key in the locked postion. So for the letter "S" where the first wire is plugged in is getting a reading of 12.76. Now the reading where the second wire is plugged in letter "L" reads 0.00. So my question it is this wire up Right? Are those the correct readings? Thanks for your tine.

Last edited by Kidwonder33; 09-16-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:58 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

What is the year of the car? If you unplug it you should have no drain on the battery. If you do you have another problem. Did the new alternator come with wiring instruction?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Kidwonder33
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by henrikse
What is the year of the car? If you unplug it you should have no drain on the battery. If you do you have another problem. Did the new alternator come with wiring instruction?
it's a 1978. I followed the wiring instruction as well. I did notice it still occurred once it was unplugged. So far I have unplugged the interior lights, the fuses associated with interior lights and or timer delays. I also unplugged the timer deal in the glove box. Any thing else you would suggest?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:48 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Easiest way is to put the meter on current and start pulling fuses to find circuit with short. How much current is it drawing?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:23 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

how fast is the drain.. does the battery go dead overnight or over a couple of weeks?

alarm system, aftermarket radio, power antenna, bad diodes on alternator, mis wired alternator, stuck on courtesy light timer, bad battery, dirty battery top, bad wiper switch.. are all good examples of possible problems.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a bad warning buzzer recently in my 78 that drained me out a few times. Had the bad interior light timer too that was a big drain.

On the buzzer it sounded like a click, almost like a relay in the drivers foot well area. Had my son tap the neg. cable while I got closer to find the cause. Pulled that box out and poof, problems gone. Trying to find a new one that isn't used/possibly has the same issue has been a challenge. I have an auto search setup on eBay though for an NOS one.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery drain

Quick Reply: Battery drain