C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took My Car For A Ride Tonight FOR THE FIRST TIME!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:32 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Wow, those tires are so bald you can see the air.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 76bomb
So how fast did you get going? 65? 70?

Tell me you had the "T" roofs out and had the wind rushing past.
Are your tires old? or worn to the cords?

Are your tie rods and idler arms tight? Ball joints good?

Can you find a place that will do a "free" alignment check?

Make sure those lug nuts are tight.
T-tops we're off. So much fun. Tires are like new, I'm going to have to go through the suspension.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 PM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default safety check

Well, I have a car that was in storage for many years.

If your NYS inspection didn’t reveal any major problems with the suspension – which theoretically they should – then maybe you should get to know the car a bit first. Mine passed NYS inspection in spring 2017 and since then I have personally checked out the brakes, suspension and found them to me fine … for a 49 year old car.

Today I took it up a ramp to the interstate. Banged through 4 gears, had the top down and the sidepipes absolutely singing. The carb needs a rebuild so a few gas farts notwithstanding 80-90mph well within reach. So, I get it out on the open highway and it runs like a scalded dog….

I feel like I’m after the last gasoline tanker in the world…..like the Road Warrior….

Well, when I look around unfortunately for me it’s 2017 and the world is filled with goddamned bubbles, eggs and wedges. Cheap SUVs can cruise at that speed easily … while it’s totally silent inside… while kiddies watch cartoons on the back seat….

Meanwhile I feel like the Red Baron…..

I guess what I’m saying is get used to the car and what its actual capabilities really are before your spend a lot of money on it. Safety is prime but in my case a near half-century old design is just that
Old 10-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pigfarmer
Well, I have a car that was in storage for many years.

If your NYS inspection didn’t reveal any major problems with the suspension – which theoretically they should – then maybe you should get to know the car a bit first. Mine passed NYS inspection in spring 2017 and since then I have personally checked out the brakes, suspension and found them to me fine … for a 49 year old car.

Today I took it up a ramp to the interstate. Banged through 4 gears, had the top down and the sidepipes absolutely singing. The carb needs a rebuild so a few gas farts notwithstanding 80-90mph well within reach. So, I get it out on the open highway and it runs like a scalded dog….

I feel like I’m after the last gasoline tanker in the world…..like the Road Warrior….

Well, when I look around unfortunately for me it’s 2017 and the world is filled with goddamned bubbles, eggs and wedges. Cheap SUVs can cruise at that speed easily … while it’s totally silent inside… while kiddies watch cartoons on the back seat….

Meanwhile I feel like the Red Baron…..

I guess what I’m saying is get used to the car and what its actual capabilities really are before your spend a lot of money on it. Safety is prime but in my case a near half-century old design is just that
Great story and I get that feeling.

I didn't go through inspection yet, I know I'll fail. I have lights out and my horn and wipers don't work. I'll go through eventually.

Quick Reply: Took My Car For A Ride Tonight FOR THE FIRST TIME!