C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy introduction.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:41 AM
Cryptoboy
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome from a new 74 owner myself! Looks like you got a good find there!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

WOW! What a lucky man. Nice find and welcome to the forum. I also have a 74 that sat in a garage untouched for 33 years. Hang in there, you'll love it.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

You were blessed with a free car. Doesn't look too bad actually. What does it look under the hood?

Welcome. You will never leave now.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:35 AM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Vette looks great. welcome to your second home.

Terry
Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 AM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks gang ! Under the hood looks just like the outside, complete, original, dirty, but untouched. I got the engine to run first thing, then turned almost immediately to the interior, had to get rid of the mouse smell. Pulled the seats, door panels, gauge cluster, consoles, and carpets. Washed things down and getting ready to paint the bulkheads, inner panels, floors and such, just need to decide on either Black or Steel Cities Gray. Since the car was originally orange then maroon and I don't want to return it to the original orange, the next color is up to me.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Team Evil
... had to get rid of the mouse smell. ...
Just remember Dalton's (My Father) Second Law. "There never was, and never will be, a constipated mouse."

I don't have photos to show, but the heater box was full of mouse treasures. The heater fan was an object of their undivided attention. The heater core was filled with their contributions. There were signs of mice having been there, most everywhere. Even here:
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2017, 07:07 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Harrow
Just remember Dalton's (My Father) Second Law. "There never was, and never will be, a constipated mouse."

I don't have photos to show, but the heater box was full of mouse treasures. The heater fan was an object of their undivided attention. The heater core was filled with their contributions. There were signs of mice having been there, most everywhere
Old 09-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Team Evil
Racer

I learned that lesson for sure yesterday. I thought that I was making progress, but there was still smell when first opening the doors. The gauge console was out, so I thought to pull the passenger side dash as well and found yet another mess ! I'll probably have to remove all of the ducting as well, just to get everything and anything cleaned out and new again. This interior stuff is all just work, free labor, so no money spent on the car as yet. I need a console that the shifter plate sits on, and am bidding on a '67 gas cap assembly, but so far it's still a free Corvette. I was even thinking of keeping a sort of chart to keep tally of what I spend, what I can sell, and what I can trade just to know what this car is actually costing me. Seems like it would be a lot of fun, up to a point. After that point, I'll erase everything and start lying to my wife.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:15 PM
See 3
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I was even thinking of keeping a sort of chart to keep tally of what I spend, what I can sell, and what I can trade just to know what this car is actually costing me. Seems like it would be a lot of fun, up to a point. After that point, I'll erase everything and start lying to my wife.
I just hope that after I'm gone my Wife doesn't sell my car for what I've told her I have into it...........
Old 09-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Team Evil
Racer

So very true ! On the flip side of that, my friend died a few weeks ago and his wife asked if I might help with the sale of his project car. He was spending money like crazy on it telling her that it would be worth MUCH more than those expenses when it was done. He loved the car, but it wasn't really worth anything on the collector car market and it was still in the early project phase. She hoped to get $15,000 for it, it was really worth around $3,000 IF you could find the right buyer. Up side was that he really loved the car and loved working on it and told his wife whatever she needed to hear in order for him to continue enjoying himself.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by See 3
That looks like a GREAT find! You are going to have fun with this one!

Could you tell me what the tire size is in the rear? Looks great!
Old 09-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Alex66
Pro

Originally Posted by stingraymaniac
It's black now but it was tan from factory, fire away with questions

Seats look great too, what Kind are they? Look like upholstered Recaro's...
Old 09-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Just found another photo of the Vette just before we pulled it out of the barn. Engine bay, filthy but mostly stock and intact. I don't know the condition of the old air conditioning system, but it's going to need to be rebuilt and converted over to newer refrigerant with new seals and such. Maybe a new compressor as well, not sure. I'll probably photograph/video all of it and remove it along with the emissions equipment and save it for the new owner.

Last edited by Team Evil; 09-30-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Team Evil
Racer

I'll check the tire size for you tomorrow, OK?
The following users liked this post:
Alex66 (09-30-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Alex, the rear tire size is 225 70R 15. The wheels are those Western turbine rims that were most seen on Vans during the early 70's. These will be the first to go once I have the car up on jack stands. I've just fallen in love with the classic, elegant look of the stock steel wheels, caps, and trim rings. Nothing beats those for me.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Alex66
Pro

Alex, the rear tire size is 225 70R 15. The wheels are those Western turbine rims that were most seen on Vans during the early 70's. These will be the first to go once I have the car up on jack stands. I've just fallen in love with the classic, elegant look of the stock steel wheels, caps, and trim rings. Nothing beats those for me.

Thank you! I like it!!
Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 PM
tzeller
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a great project and will definitely be worth the work. Good luck with the restoration.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Again, thank you ! The price was right and I have the space and enough spare time right now, so it's looks like I'll be keeping it and trying for a resurrection. I've only poked a little bit underneath so I'm not sure of the condition of or what the frame and suspension looks like, but top side looks pretty good considering it's over twenty year nap. It was originally a "Buff & Fluff" job from Corvettes and Classics out of Taunton, MA. made to look cosmetically pleasing and dumped out onto the lot for sale, so there are a lot of short cuts that I'm going to have to rectify, I've already come across quite a few of them in disassembling the interior, it appears to have put been put together from a variety of C3s. So far, nothing that I cant make right or repair, or replace, but still . . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New guy introduction.