Sponsored by:

New guy introduction.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New guy introduction.

Hi all, I've been watching this forum for a time and found it to be a really nice place for friends, help, and information. I hope that I can fit in with the group. I was just recently given a '74 Corvette Coupe, a genuine New Hampshire barn find. Bought used, driven for the Summer, then put up for the next twenty years. Everything works but needs work. After getting the engine running (barely) I've starting in on stripping out the interior, removing the rodent residue, and generally repairing, replacing, and resurrecting whatever is in sight. I know nothing at all about the C3 Corvette, or ANY VETTE honestly, I'm hoping that I can find a place here and find the help needed to put this back on the road once again. Thank you, Rob.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:41 PM
homestead
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to the site! Post some pics when you get a chance!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:37 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Congratulations!!!

Congratulations on acquiring a 74!!!

C3's are the best! Styling like never before or since!

Couple of thoughts:

1. This forum is the best, great folks happy to share and help, you came to the right place.
2. Go buy an 1974 Corvette AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual, OEM book) of how the St Louis factory put your Corvette together) off ebay or elsewhere. This is the best "paper" resource for working on your Corvette IMHO.
3. Also get a 1974 GM factory OEM Service Manual and Overhaul Manual, also ebay, great reference material.
4. Lots of other info available too, Haynes, Chilton, online, online, and more online help.
5. You might have a very original 74. Whether you decide to keep it all original or go full blown restromod, either way is great BTW, you might get a 74 NCRS manual (I am thinking this is the 73/74 National Corvette Restorers Society judging manual). This manual will tell you what is original and what has been changed which I always find interesting.
6. Go to some Corvette shows in your area, great place to check out other Corvettes and meet some great people.

Good luck and hope this helps as this is what references I like. Half the fun is fixing it up I always say!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to the madness.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Thank you for the terrific advice and the welcome ! My Photobucket account no longer allows third party posting, so the pics will have to wait until I find another host, but I'm taking photos as I go along, so nothing is getting lost. For now, I hope to keep the car as stock as I can, but I AM changing a few things that look "wrong" to my eye. It's unfortunate though that I have a bit of tunnel vision in that I look at each piece that I remove as an individual item rather than having the ability to see it as a part of a much greater whole. Those things that seem wrong to me would most likely blend right into the larger picture when re-assembled, but right now stand out as massive errors on the part of the GM styling department. Weird as can be, I know, but my cross to carry. Rob—
Old 09-25-2017, 02:04 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,001 Posts

My 2nd Corvette was a 74, had a lot of fun owning that car. Welcome to CF.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Team Evil
Racer

I'm now embarrassed to say that my first Corvette was a '67 Coupe, there wasn't a single piece of that car that didn't rattle or buzz. I traded my MG for it, owned it for a week or so, and traded it for a '64 409 Chevy convertible. I still AM an idiot, but I try not to show it as often these days.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:56 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome!
Have a 74 myself, enjoy it !
Old 09-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Team Evil
Racer

I really hope to. Might direct a few specific questions towards you over the Winter and Spring as things progress if that's OK? The car in your avatar looks like the one that I was gifted with a week ago, except mine is a mess. Those side pipes look terrific, does your car have a tan or black interior?
Old 09-25-2017, 04:37 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Evil
I'm now embarrassed to say that my first Corvette was a '67 Coupe, there wasn't a single piece of that car that didn't rattle or buzz. I traded my MG for it, owned it for a week or so, and traded it for a '64 409 Chevy convertible. I still AM an idiot, but I try not to show it as often these days.
That's OK, you're not alone. I had a 67 convertible, big block. It also rattled and buzzed, thought the doors would fall off when running over a bump. No garage to work in at that time so I sold it at Carlisle many years ago. I prefer the feel of the C3 anyway..
Old 09-25-2017, 04:45 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

I really hope to. Might direct a few specific questions towards you over the Winter and Spring as things progress if that's OK? The car in your avatar looks like the one that I was gifted with a week ago, except mine is a mess. Those side pipes look terrific, does your car have a tan or black interior?
It's black now but it was tan from factory, fire away with questions

Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thank you for the terrific advice and the welcome ! My Photobucket account no longer allows third party posting, so the pics will have to wait until I find another host, but I'm taking photos as I go along, so nothing is getting lost. ... Rob—
Hi Rob,

​When you post, at the top of the page where there are all the symbols (not showing on my phone), there is 'paper clip' IIRC. Click on that and it will open a window which will allow you to browse thru your file. When you find a photo you want, click on it, and its address will show in the window. Further down is the button to click to load the photo into the forum.

Welcome! Ed
Old 09-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Team Evil
Racer

WOW ! Thank you for that ! ! !
Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,156 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and congrats! I knew NOTHING about Corvettes (except I wanted one all my life).

With the help from great Forum Members I am putting a "basket case" together.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:01 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Welcome to the Forum and congrats! I knew NOTHING about Corvettes (except I wanted one all my life).

With the help from great Forum Members I am putting a "basket case" together.
And he's doing an awesome job if I may say so!
Old 09-26-2017, 02:22 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Team Evil
Racer

I think that I have this figured out, here are a few pics of my free barn find '74 just before we rolled it out and onto the trailer.

Get notified of new replies

To New guy introduction.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Wow that interior looks to be in great condition, maybe the paint is OK under all the dirt also
Old 09-27-2017, 08:48 PM
See 3
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That looks like a GREAT find! You are going to have fun with this one!

I think that I have this figured out, here are a few pics of my free barn find '74 just before we rolled it out and onto the trailer.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:15 AM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Love those wheels!!

Quick Reply: New guy introduction.