Sponsored by:

Music Thoughs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:27 PM
Tecdiverfl
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Music Thoughs

My 70 all original including the Radio. Looking for thoughts on hiding something or putting it in the back for a MP3 player
Old 09-30-2017, 10:14 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,125 Likes on 729 Posts

I put an iPod classic in the ash try area. Perfect fit but I don't believe Apple is selling them anymore. Probably eBay if you go that route.

Last edited by ignatz; 09-30-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:08 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Depends on how 'stock' you want to keep it?

I just put a Retro Sound unit in my 69. I thought about putting a unit in the back, and have a remote to change channels, etc, but thought it would be nice to have the built-in display in the dash. But....you can't even see the display on the Retro Sound in the daytime (doesn't help that I have a vert). Night is fine, but the display is totally unreadable in the daytime. Sound is good, but if I were to do it again, I think I would go with a unit in the rear...
Old 10-01-2017, 06:48 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default left stock in place

Originally Posted by Tecdiverfl
My 70 all original including the Radio. Looking for thoughts on hiding something or putting it in the back for a MP3 player
I’d rather leave the stock setup in place. Nostalgia. No thoughts about specific components yet but I am thinking of building a small box that just sits in the back and supplying it with 12v. Bluetooth receiver/amp and a decent pair of at least 2-way speakers. Maybe a sub but don’t have a lot of room under the folded convertible top.

I left the stock radio alone but needed a pair of oem replacement 10 ohm front speakers and went to Turnswitch. They do radio conversions if that’s of any help http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

Recently I grabbed the JBL Charge can off my workbench and it sits perfectly between the front seats right at my elbow. It makes a surprising amount of sound and is good enough for the amount I use it. I just start a playlist and generally don’t fiddle with it. If I add the box I’ll be looking for a receiver with a small remote – the iPhone can be less than convenient.
The following users liked this post:
Boswell (10-08-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 08:21 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default components

Originally Posted by Tecdiverfl
Not trying to build a killer sound system, just an easily removable upgrade to stock that will provide decent sound in a convertible with sidepipes.

Still a little bleary and swilling coffee so maybe these components aren't all quite right but here's what I was looking at on Crutchfield. Part of the filter included a wireless remote (which I found handy in other cars I've had) but I realized that an IR remote probably isn't going to be all that useful with the unit behind me.

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/...=01|158DSXA45B

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158FB6...930.html?tp=91

Not sure about the sub

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/...=99|613KSCSW11
Old 10-01-2017, 08:33 AM
C376FL
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pigfarmer
I’d rather leave the stock setup in place. Nostalgia. No thoughts about specific components yet but I am thinking of building a small box that just sits in the back and supplying it with 12v. Bluetooth receiver/amp and a decent pair of at least 2-way speakers. Maybe a sub but don’t have a lot of room under the folded convertible top.

I left the stock radio alone but needed a pair of oem replacement 10 ohm front speakers and went to Turnswitch. They do radio conversions if that’s of any help http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

Recently I grabbed the JBL Charge can off my workbench and it sits perfectly between the front seats right at my elbow. It makes a surprising amount of sound and is good enough for the amount I use it. I just start a playlist and generally don’t fiddle with it. If I add the box I’ll be looking for a receiver with a small remote – the iPhone can be less than convenient.
pigfarmer I am with you on turnswitch, I ordered speakers from them to fit in my dash like they came in 76. I got a heads up about them from another post on the forum, should get them Monday.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:43 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

If you want to keep the original radio and simply play your own music (via bluetooth) this is what I used:
Amazon Amazon

Simply plug it in between the antenna and radio, connect the power wire to the fuse box, and you're set. It plays music from your phone when connected to bluetooth and you can still use the radio when not playing your own music.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

I bought an expensive radio from classic auto radio that looks and sounds great but if I had to do it all over again I would buy a bluetooth amplifier and control it with my iPhone.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:36 PM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Just get one of these JBL Flips or the larger Extreme and place it in the back area. Use your bluetooth connection on your phone to stream music. When I park, I just stash the Flip in the storage compartment.

No need to touch the stock radio. These things hold a charge for hours.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:39 PM
68 Issues
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny that you posted this question. I was just getting ready to ask something similar. I bought my BB 68 coupe in 2012. The original stereo was in the car and did not work. My first project was to replace the stereo with a Retro Sound unit since I wanted it to fit in the dash like the original. After installing it, I found that the music on the stereo interfered with the music from the motor and exhaust. I seriously do not think I have turned it on in the past four years (not exaggerating). I finally got my Tina to go for a ride with me not long ago and she wanted to listen to some music....I couldn't remember how to work it......thank goodness! I drive the car 2-3 times a week. There is plenty of time for tunes while driving my DD.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else thought the same way.

Get notified of new replies

To Music Thoughs

Quick Reply: Music Thoughs