Sponsored by:

C3 hood emblem placement

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 05:23 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C3 hood emblem placement

i ordered a set of L-48 emblems from Wilcox and my Asembly Manual doesn't seem to tell me where or how to place them. I think they come with posts and are tightened with speed nuts. Can anyone tell me where to drill the holes in the hood? Thanks, Phil ('79 C3)
Old 10-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

I dont think those are factory. I may be wrong.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:25 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I can measure on my 78 L-82 tomorrow, but I agree with Blood. I don't think they are factory. L-82's did, but not so much with 48's. I could be wrong. I also think they are stuck on, not bolted. I know my front is taped on and the rear has speed nuts. I think the L-82's are the same way.

Last edited by jlpskydive; 10-05-2017 at 07:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Philgran (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 07:06 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Base engine cars did not have hood emblems. Your aftermarket emblems probably mount in the same location as the L-82 emblems. The AIM has dimensions for drilling the L-82 holes.
Philgran (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlpskydive
I can measure on my 78 L-82 tomorrow, but I agree with Blood. I don't think they are factory. L-82's did, but not so much with 48's. I could be wrong. I also think they are stuck on, not bolted. I know my front is taped on and the rear has speed nuts. I think the L-82's are the same way.
I think everyone is right. The L48 is a basic engine and not a "big boy". I'd just like to spice up my C3 a bit. I would be very appreciative if you could measure your L-82 emblems and let me know where to put them. Sorry I took awhile to get back to you but as usual, my logon credentials needed resetting. I can get at the replies to my questions but replying to them is difficult. Thank you very much and I appreciate your help and patience.

Phil
Old 10-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Base engine cars did not have hood emblems. Your aftermarket emblems probably mount in the same location as the L-82 emblems. The AIM has dimensions for drilling the L-82 holes.
Mike, my Assembly Manual is a copy and very hard for me to navigate. I tried to find he placement information in it but after going page by page all I could find was a picture of the hood with an arrow point to roughly where the ornaments go. Bummer!

Thank you,

Phil
Old 10-08-2017, 05:15 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

I'm not understanding the measurements from the '78 AIM but on my '79 L82 the rear edge of the emblem is 6 5/8" from the rear edge of the hood as measured to the inside (towards the front of the car) of the dip in the hood edge. It's effectively centered in the hood "bump".
Philgran (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 05:43 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Here's a way to mark the holes that avoids any chance of an "oh-oh".

One at a time punch the positioning pins through a sheet of fairly heavy paper. Be certain that the paper lays perfectly flat across the back of the emblem.

With an x-acto knife or similar cut the paper around the pins. Pull off the paper and you should have three nearly perfect circles.

Put the paper back on and trace the outline of the emblem onto it. Cut to the lines--for something like the L-48 you only have to cut at the top, bottom and side edges to make a rectangle.

Position and then tape nicely with masking tape. With a center punch or similar make a dent in the center of each pin hole. Then drill with a bit about 1/16" larger than the pin.
Philgran (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Sure as heck, don't want to have one of those oh-oh moments. So I will take your technique and use it. Thank you for sharing. I've already rounded up some heavy paper. While I think that Corvettes with the L-48 motor never had such emblems, I will carefully pull off the hood insulation and look for evidence of any prior holes. Thanks again.

Phil

Get notified of new replies

To C3 hood emblem placement

Quick Reply: C3 hood emblem placement