Sponsored by:

1979 power windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:12 PM
grumpyonetwo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1979 power windows

Hello i need some help solving a problem with passenger power windows. The window will go down but will not come back up. So i removed the door trim and found these 2 wires not connected and what looks like an earth setup on the door, with 2 wires that should be connected but are not. I checked out my 1979 assemble manual and it does not give me any conclusive info, so i have turned to you guys on here. I have taken some pics, i hope they are clear enough for someone to help me.Thanks from downunder
Old 10-08-2017, 09:37 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

As you probably know, that square loose wire connector in the 2nd picture is for the power locks. Unfortunately I can't remember what the wiring looks like on my 79 off the top of my head. What I would suggest is to get a laminated poster size wiring diagram from Lectric Limited. I have one and it's tacked on the wall directly in front of the car. I know that's not a fast resolution being down under, but the wiring diagram is worth it's weight in gold.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here you go-

The ground wires....

Old 10-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Oh- sorry - just noticed you are "down under"....

Last edited by Richard454; 10-08-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:56 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

All of that wiring (including the cut grounds) are for the power door lock circuit only so such has nothing to do with the windows.

With the passenger window switch moved to "DOWN" check the light blue wire at the motor for +12V. Just use the door frame for ground. If you get no power the first thing I would do is disassemble and clean the window switch and its contacts. If that doesn't get it working look for a break in the light blue wire near where it goes into the door.

If you get +12V at the light blue wire on the motor (with switch moved to DOWN) I'd still hot wire it by running a wire directly to the light blue connector from the battery positive.

If the window still isn't going up check the regulator for broken/worn gear teeth and/or a broken assist spring.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:01 AM
grumpyonetwo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
All of that wiring (including the cut grounds) are for the power door lock circuit only so such has nothing to do with the windows.

With the passenger window switch moved to "DOWN" check the light blue wire at the motor for +12V. Just use the door frame for ground. If you get no power the first thing I would do is disassemble and clean the window switch and its contacts. If that doesn't get it working look for a break in the light blue wire near where it goes into the door.

If you get +12V at the light blue wire on the motor (with switch moved to DOWN) I'd still hot wire it by running a wire directly to the light blue connector from the battery positive.

If the window still isn't going up check the regulator for broken/worn gear teeth and/or a broken assist spring.
Thanks swampeastMike, this info will give me something to check out, it all used to work, but as we all know these old cars do tend to throw up curveballs occasionally.

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 power windows

Quick Reply: 1979 power windows