Best place for current values of C3 Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:52 PM
Garu
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place for current values of C3 Corvettes

Hello,
I am new to the forum and look forward to checking out the site and all the info. I have a question concerning C3 Corvette values. I have a new friend that is down sizing his car collection and has offered his 1969 and 1970 Corvettes to me. The 69 is a tri-power 427, 4-speed car. Supposed to be all original and possibly in need of paint. I am assuming at this time it is the 390 HP motor. I dont know about any of the options that may or may not be on the car. The 70 is a 454, 4-speed car with air conditioning. I believe this to be an LS-5 car although he claims it to be a square port motor. This car is not 100% original and needs a carb, distributor and rims at the very least that he has told me to be back to original. My questions are what does everyone think these cars would be worth with what little I know about them right now, and of the 2, which do you think would be the better investment since I cannot afford both. Finally where is the best place to get honest values for these cars. I quickly tried Corvette DNA and its pretty tough without knowing a lot of the specifics of the cars. Thanks...Garu
Old 10-26-2017, 01:15 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Could be all over the place quite honestly. Condition is a huge factor (rust, paint, etc..). A re-paint costs a ton, so that factors into the price if the paint is shot.

If you want true what are they going for type numbers, look in the for sale section of the forum and see what people are asking and see how many times they've knocked the price down and/or if the car has sold. Also you can look at the "sold" listings in ebay. Keep in mind that condition, rust, options, originality (for those that want originality), documentation if he has any, etc.. can play a big factor in determining price.

With the tripower you're looking at 400 or 435hp rating depending on if it was the L68 or L71. Believe the L68 was just the L36 390hp with the tripower added on.
The following users liked this post:
Garu (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 01:19 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Well you need the specifics of the cars to know their values. To start with a tri-power would be a 400 HP or 435 HP engine. The 390 HP was a single 4BBL. Without plenty of pictures of the exterior, interior, engine compartment, frame, and suspension nobody can tell you which is the better car.
Garu (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 01:22 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Welcome to CF. For starters don't invest your money in used cars that is poor investment vehicle.

As for market value I start with what people are asking for similar cars in similar condition as the one I'm interested in. I will use this forum (for sale section), eBay, Craigslist and several other Corvette related for sale sites. I load all this up into a spread sheet so I can analyze the data and most of the time can arrive at a fair asking price number.

Now the tricky part is arriving at a what did it sale for number and unless you have that data you will have to go on gut feeling or CF members past buying experience.

My first question to you would be what is the owner asking price and condition of the cars.

If I had pick of the litter and cost was not a factor I would choose the 69 is a tri-power 427, 4-speed car.
Garu (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Stinger-vette
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Welcome to CF. For starters don't invest your money in used cars that is poor investment vehicle.

As for market value I start with what people are asking for similar cars in similar condition as the one I'm interested in. I will use this forum (for sale section), eBay, Craigslist and several other Corvette related for sale sites. I load all this up into a spread sheet so I can analyze the data and most of the time can arrive at a fair asking price number.

Now the tricky part is arriving at a what did it sale for number and unless you have that data you will have to go on gut feeling or CF members past buying experience.

My first question to you would be what is the owner asking price and condition of the cars.

If I had pick of the litter and cost was not a factor I would choose the 69 is a tri-power 427, 4-speed car.

Totally agree with the investment view. Used car values are too flexible to be used as a worthwhile investment. All of the old cars that I've bought were evaluated for 'best for buck'. Get the build plate information plus pictures and then a more accurate price evaluation can commence.
Garu (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 PM
Garu
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you for the info. I am new to.Corvettes but not the car world. I probably should have chosen my words more carefully. I am looking for a C3 that will hold or increase in value over time, but I am also looming to enjoy the car over the years. I have a 72 big block Camaro as my weekend car now and plan to keep it. The Corvette is something I would like to add if I can afford it and hold onto for my kids down the road. So an investment to enjoy. I am hoping to take a loom at both cars sometime next week and get pictures, vin #'s, block id's etc...cars have been garages for years...not started as far as I know and supposed to be in good shape. I know that is the tough part to.judge. Are there any major pitfalls to look for.on C3's besides needing paint and obvious rust or frame issues? Thanks again for all the info....i understand what your saying and agree I need a lot more to make an informed decision.
t
Old 10-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Stinger-vette
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you haven't looked at it yet, there's a sticky at the top of the C3 forum that has the top 10 things to look for when considering purchasing a Corvette.
Do you know how long they've been sitting? Fluids sitting idle in the engine is not good for gaskets. All seals will probably have to all be checked and changed anyways.
I'll defer to the sticky's for more detailed information beyond that.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:18 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Garu
I am looking for a C3 that will hold or increase in value over time
The only way that will happen is you don't enjoy or drive it, and buy one from someone that sells it below market value.

Currently most of the cars asking prices are above market value, the owners are trying to recover their invested money. What this means is someone needs to loose. Hoping its the next buyer.

Their are less buyers than sellers, and more (C3 buyers) dying off each year.

You need to buy a car from someone that needs the money more than he/she needs the car.

Their are more rare C3's available any day of the week so I think the buyer is rare not the car.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 10-26-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best place for current values of C3 Corvettes

Quick Reply: Best place for current values of C3 Corvettes