Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguishers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 AM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Fire Extinguishers

this is not directly related to c3's but i know many of us use them to feel safer about our cars.big recall here so check yours out. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Ki...s-with-Plastic Handles-Due-to-Failure-to-Discharge-and-Nozzle-Detachment-One-Death-Reported // https://www.nhtsa.gov/r
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (12-07-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:58 AM
billcarson
Drifting

just called and was treated very well.2 new ext's to be mailed to my home,one was ok.have all #'s ready,and i mean all,so that you can get it done faster.turns out an old clunker in my kitchen was also eligible for a free replacement,my bad,forgot about it being there,so give it a shot.# i called was 1-855-271-0773.good luck guy's and be safe!
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (12-07-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's a link to the manufacturer that lets you see if yours might be bad.

I agree, they are handling this very well. They mail out a replacement one and you mail back the old one in the box.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:38 AM
billcarson
Drifting

woman i spoke to said instructions on proper disposal would be included with the ext's,nothing about mailing them back.check that out as shipping could be costly.also they are being shipped now and not dependent on a return.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:49 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

I don't want to be shipping the old extinguisher back. Sure hope that isn't the case.

I just went back to their website for first time since last week. I noticed that they changed some of their discussion. A bit odd. We'll see if I get my replacement?

Originally Posted by billcarson
woman i spoke to said instructions on proper disposal would be included with the ext's,nothing about mailing them back.check that out as shipping could be costly.also they are being shipped now and not dependent on a return.

Last edited by carriljc; 11-08-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I had 4 that are being recalled, yes the lady on the phone was quite help-full and said the instructions for return/disposal would be in the box.

Notice that they never really say what the recall is for?
Old 11-08-2017, 09:07 PM
billcarson
Drifting

i did notice of no mention of cause on the phone conversation,however she wanted to know from where i heard of the recall.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:57 AM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

So far I have found one of my many extinguishers that match this brand. It looks like I have a plastic handle one with a non welded neck. According to the page it inst affected.
What I did notice that it was showing no pressure. So, the good news is this helped me find a failed extinguisher. How does one of these lose pressure and not expel the powder inside?
jim
Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM
shenango
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by xpoc454
So far I have found one of my many extinguishers that match this brand. It looks like I have a plastic handle one with a non welded neck. According to the page it inst affected.
What I did notice that it was showing no pressure. So, the good news is this helped me find a failed extinguisher. How does one of these lose pressure and not expel the powder inside?
jim
That link that says only 5 or 10 Lb with welded neck " Here is a link to manufacturer" does not fully cover the recall in question. The correct link is,
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Ki...s-with-Plastic Handles-Due-to-Failure-to-Discharge-and-Nozzle-Detachment-One-Death-Reported // https://www.nhtsa.gov/r

I wasn't going to call because mine are 2# bottles but I decided to call anyway and mine were defective and are being replaced.
The phone number is 855-271-0773 for Kidde recall center. It took all of 10 minutes to get my new extinguishers headed my way.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:01 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks I will collect the ones I have and give hem a call. I will report back here what I find out about mine.
Pretty sure my red one looks just like your link and I have a small white one also somewhere. I think I put it in my boat. I'm going up to check on it this weekend while doing some closing preparations anyways.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:15 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I reposted this information on my Facebook page to get the word out about it.
Thanks!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:12 AM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts

All three extinguishers in the house had plastic nozzles and where "bad." They will be replaced for free. The one in my car is all metal...

What does this say about valuing my vehicle over my house?
Old 11-10-2017, 05:49 AM
billcarson
Drifting

yes we value our toys sometimes more than the house.both my car and boat extinguishers were full,house flat.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:30 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Update:
Got my replacement extinguisher yesterday. I was surprised. That was less than a month. Per the directions we have to return the old one in the same box. Replacement comes with directions, a new label for the box, and a number to call to have it picked up.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:03 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
Update:
Got my replacement extinguisher yesterday. I was surprised. That was less than a month. Per the directions we have to return the old one in the same box. Replacement comes with directions, a new label for the box, and a number to call to have it picked up.
Same here. One out of 3 in the house had to be replaced.
Fran
Old 12-01-2017, 05:36 AM
billcarson
Drifting

as carriljc stated that was my case with the return.however the 10 bc (red) ext has not been received as of yet and when i called to inquire i was on hold for 20 min and was treated abruptly,blown off,so i assume they are overloaded now with returns and have many temps handling the calls.she could not wait to get me off the phone. she assured me it was coming,so is the check in the mail.good luck to all on this.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default almost

I got 3 out of 4 so far. When I called a few weeks ago the nice lady sounded like she was one short hop away from a meltdown. I figured I can just sit tight a while.

The replacements all have more substantial looking metal handles.

I wonder how Kidde can even stay in business with all this.

Last edited by pigfarmer; 12-01-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fire Extinguishers

Old 12-06-2017, 11:23 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Quite the smooth operation that Kidde has going. I repackaged my old extinguisher in the same box and slapped the return-label on it. Called up FEDEX and they came by and picked it up the next day.

It was a bit clumsy doing the phone menu with FEDEX, probably would have been easier with a website developed....then you could just fill it out online. Of course, the FEDEX lady was extremely courteous and patient and it all worked out.

I checked the tracking number later and saw where FEDEX had picked up the box and took off with it.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:12 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I got a shipping notice for the replacement extinguisher yesterday. Took about a month for those of you that are waiting.

Although it's never good to have to do a recall, I must say I'm impressed by how Kidde is handling it. Replacing decades old products (mine is 20 years old) with no hassle deserves a gold star.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default drop off locations

Originally Posted by carriljc
Quite the smooth operation that Kidde has going. I repackaged my old extinguisher in the same box and slapped the return-label on it. Called up FEDEX and they came by and picked it up the next day.

It was a bit clumsy doing the phone menu with FEDEX, probably would have been easier with a website developed....then you could just fill it out online. Of course, the FEDEX lady was extremely courteous and patient and it all worked out.

I checked the tracking number later and saw where FEDEX had picked up the box and took off with it.
Kidde is handling this very well and the replacements do look a bit more substantial than the plastic handled originals.

The first one they sent me included a UPS return label and I just dropped it off at a nearby Staples who takes pre-labeled UPS shipments.

Then I got 3 more so I boxed them, went back to Staples, and the kid pointed out they were actually FedEx labels (I wasn't paying attention) and they don't take them. But, he helpfully pointed out that Walgreens does an that made it easy for me - if this of any help to anyone.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguishers