Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Surgery - I'm Down but Not Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Wife has L5-S1 fusion with a pin on right side and a bone graft on left side, taken from the top of her left hip. Included a laminectomy. July 2016. 18+ moonths later, still recovering. About 80% of way there. After surgery, learned recovery is 24 months. Its what they don't tell you.
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:41 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

I feel for you! Eight months after my 2nd (the first was more than a decade ago) neck surgery I'm still in the recovery phase.

Best wishes to you.
Street Rat (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Birddog51
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

I know exactly how you feel. I had C3-4-5 fuised several years ago then 3 years ago I had L 1-2-3-4-5 cleaned out. Was told if I didn’t change my life style the next operation would be rods and collers. So listen to the Dr’s advice and don’t rush it. Walking is your best friend!
Street Rat (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Opossum
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts

following this one close...april 6 gonna have L3,4,5 disc replaced and bone graft all from the front, then they roll me over and cut to insert pedicule screws and rods on the same 3. Not lookin forward but this pain is crippling.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Opossum
following this one close...april 6 gonna have L3,4,5 disc replaced and bone graft all from the front, then they roll me over and cut to insert pedicule screws and rods on the same 3. Not lookin forward but this pain is crippling.
I don't envy you. See my post above about an L5-S1 bone graft and pin. We had no idea going in and all was done from the back side.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Opossum the doctor went in from the side as well as my back. The worst thing after surgery is the left side and hip. Other than that I feel great.
That is the trap. You feel good but can't do anything.

The pain that I have now pales in comparison to what I was going through.

You ever seen a grown man cry?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Opossum
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Opossum the doctor went in from the side as well as my back. The worst thing after surgery is the left side and hip. Other than that I feel great.
That is the trap. You feel good but can't do anything.

The pain that I have now pales in comparison to what I was going through.

You ever seen a grown man cry?
Yeppers, only someone that's experienced this kind of pain can relate. the thing that scares me is cutting my big 'ol belly open, movin' my guts aside, movin my aorta putting 3 new dics in with grafts, THEN cuttin' my back open for the screws and rods. Suppose there's a lot of side sleepin in my future! Toughest part so far is no cigars or Makers Mark!
Old 03-18-2018, 02:43 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by v2racing
I could see laying under your car with this hoist and accidentally hitting the levers to raise it up and being pinned to the bottom of the car.

Anything possible will happen.

Mike

I think you have to also squeeze the triggers!
Old 03-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Yeppers, only someone that's experienced this kind of pain can relate. the thing that scares me is cutting my big 'ol belly open, movin' my guts aside, movin my aorta putting 3 new dics in with grafts, THEN cuttin' my back open for the screws and rods. Suppose there's a lot of side sleepin in my future! Toughest part so far is no cigars or Makers Mark!
Be careful with the pain meds right after surgery. They will want to pump up full of dilaudin or oxycodone or hydrocodone. We stopped the dilaudin in one day. Made her hallucinate. Did not know where she was. Was seeing things on the ceiling, etc. Got off the hydrocodone next in a very short time.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:31 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yes, I never take all of the meds they prescribe after surgeries! I did take them a bit longer when I had my double knee replacement.

I work for a company, NuVasive, where the back surgery procedures are done from the side and they say recovery times are lessened by quite a bit. Mentioned to my wife I'd like to have surgery to get rid of my sciatic back pain but she's worried something might go wrong and I'd be paralyzed or even die...

This sciatica is the worst pain I've ever had and keeps me from doing things.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Wife had the back surgery, then 5 months later had an emergency surgery to release scar tissue from cesareans 40 years ago that had wrapped around her intestine, then had a large kidney stone removed, then needed surgery on her second toe to straighten out a drop toe. 4 times under anesthesia in 1 year is not a good thing.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing
I could see laying under your car with this hoist and accidentally hitting the levers to raise it up and being pinned to the bottom of the car.

Anything possible will happen.

Mike

Seriously Craig,
There is GREAT advice here in your thread. And if one has to do it, it's a pretty good time of year to get it done.
If you're a baseball fan, subscribe to MLB Extra Innings. That'll keep you immobile for the Spring.

Best wishes.
Steve
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Boy you guys really do have some tuff tales to tell. There are some bad problems out there I see. It's good that we can gather information from each other's experiences.

I walked today and felt pretty good. Taking it slow and easy as everyone advises.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:26 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Boy you guys really do have some tuff tales to tell. There are some bad problems out there I see. It's good that we can gather information from each other's experiences.

I walked today and felt pretty good. Taking it slow and easy as everyone advises.
Glad to hear you are feeling better!!!

Like I said before that I had cracked a couple vertebra in a car accident almost 40 years ago when I was 16. I thank my lucky stars I haven't had any issues since...in that accident I also broke the hardest bone in your body (cheekbone) in 7 places-had a metal halo screwed to my head till the bones set and my mouth wired shut for three months!!!

Richard
Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 1 week update on second surgery

Beautiful weather to go walking this morning. Doctor's orders.

Got off all of the Opiods and meds day . Wow those damn things really gave me some bad withdrawl issues. Tired, body aches, lack of sleep, etc. No wonder they say the Opiod crises is terrible.

Anyway... dealing with some pain still. About a 3 on a 10 scale. Making lists of things I need to tweek on the C3. Minor things that I can do without bending. Getting some little things perfected.

Peace My Brothers,
Craig

Quick Reply: Back Surgery - I'm Down but Not Out