Sponsored by:

Pro-Tour 1972 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 02:11 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Pro-Tour 1972 Corvette

I don't own a C3 but it is my favorite body style, by a long shot. Here is an article on a racing Corvette, built in 48 hours, built for road racing... will be for sale at Barrett-Jackson this January in Scottsdale.

WHOA what a machine! Enjoy

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/ba...erfect-rounder
Old 11-22-2017, 06:07 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I would never buy a car that was built on a tight deadline.

I see it all the time in these car tv shows - "Build me this car, but I gotta have it in two weeks". I just think of all the corners they have to cut to make the deadline resulting in problems waiting to happen and/or inferior work. I figure you can't be too bright if you go asking someone to build you a car and then demand they finish it in a big hurry.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya

I see it all the time in these car tv shows - "Build me this car, but I gotta have it in two weeks". I just think of all the corners they have to cut to make the deadline resulting in problems waiting to happen and/or inferior work. I figure you can't be too bright if you go asking someone to build you a car and then demand they finish it in a big hurry.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Over the years there have been many like type vehicles cross the block at Barrett-Jackson and many didn't come close to bringing what it cost to build. Each to their own, but I believe this car fits into this category. The purists will hate it and unless you're in love with yellow and fugly big black wheels and fugly yellow gauges and black painted chrome so will the general public. I could be way off base but I think it will be hard for this car to crack 30 grand.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

I watched that build on and off, they didn't quite finish it in time. Also the "paint job" was a vinyl wrap. Maybe they painted it since then, maybe not.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Is this the same car as Smitty just won the Good Guys Championship with or a different one....I can't believe they are going to sell it.....If it's the same they have closer to 480 hours in it now than 48, and 30 grand won't touch it...SHould bring atleast 100.

Brian

Last edited by Wee; 11-22-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:36 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,645 Posts

This is the Ride Tech Corvette that has been posted many times on this forum. It's been well sorted out by now. It is no longer a wrap. The entire car was redone with flared fenders and a complete repaint. I have no idea what it may bring at auction but I would guess well below the investment. 30K probably doesn't come close to the cost of parts alone. Heck the Forgeline Wheels are over 1K each. It will be interesting to see what it hammers down at.

Last edited by 3JsVette; 11-22-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

My dad rip loved yellow sports cars,

Me, well theres two car colors, flat black and shiny black, perhaps satin so 3 colors, lol,

If the threads car was a convertible yeah, i would love to own it, ( in black )

I see fast builds a bit wider,

Sure you go to some guy who says he has a vette shop with a dump truck of money and say finish my car in 2 weeks he will in all likelihood cut cornors as a noble guy would turn down the job knowing the time limit isnt practical,

However,

When a tv build show with a team of actual experts and unlimted money and shop have a timed build it might not be too bad,

If guys with respected names are involved they are not going to want to damage their name and know the build will be scritized,

Not just by car forum arm chair critics but by known big respected names, and by the people with the wallets that buy their builds,

My problem is i dont like most modern resto builds, too many times they are like 2017s answer to the corvette summer car.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:59 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by ntfday
Over the years there have been many like type vehicles cross the block at Barrett-Jackson and many didn't come close to bringing what it cost to build. Each to their own, but I believe this car fits into this category. The purists will hate it and unless you're in love with yellow and fugly big black wheels and fugly yellow gauges and black painted chrome so will the general public. I could be way off base but I think it will be hard for this car to crack 30 grand.

short term gaudy..... engine is nice but it would take a lot to make the rest look good again.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What I see is a rolling advertisement for the aftermarket parts providers.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 11-23-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Priya

Old 11-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Again, this car might have originally been built in a hurry, but it's had a hell of a lot of time and money put into refining it since the original build. I don't like yellow much, but this is a highly developed and very successful competition car. Not a 48 hour thrown together rush job.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes, it was originally built in 48 hrs. That was 2 yrs ago and multiple races later. Dont confuse this car with, say, a gas monkey build. And if you do a google search, the tv show "overhauling" cars may have been completed on camera in 1 week. Presented to the owner on tv, then taken back and extensively sorted out. Lawyers you know. And the average cost to build 1 was $150k.
You can youtube the 48 hr builds, a Camaro and a Corvette. Top shelf parts went into them. They feature ridetech suspension pieces and were purpose built for racing.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:17 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree. Everybody wants to naysay thing. I would love to have this car. Attention getter? Yup. Now go back to your beaters.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:10 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I would generally agree about the TV builds. I have a friend that bought a car that was built on one of the major TV shows. It has a lot of expensive parts on it and some of the work is very high quality. But then you can see where they ran out of time at the end and started throwing stuff together. One inner fender is held on with ARP bolts, and the other is not bolted on at all. Some of the fan wiring was just twisted together and taped off. Seriously. The car was given away on the show and the winner sold it to my friend for around $20K if I remember right. The bad part was the car still needed work but the good part was there was way more than $20K worth of parts there.
This car is not the same. They did build it in 48 (+a few) hours, but Smitty race the car hard and so I would not question the integrity of the car.
It was originally wrapped, but then after it was flared at a shop... it was painted yellow.
It will be interesting to see what it brings. I would love to own it.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 11-26-2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Unnecessary reference to forum moderation removed
Old 11-25-2017, 08:50 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I like a bone stock original as much as anyone, but I'd love to have this car too. There's very few things I'd change on it.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:24 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
I would generally agree about the TV builds. I have a friend that bought a car that was built on one of the major TV shows. It has a lot of expensive parts on it and some of the work is very high quality. But then you can see where they ran out of time at the end and started throwing stuff together. One inner fender is held on with ARP bolts, and the other is not bolted on at all. Some of the fan wiring was just twisted together and taped off. Seriously. The car was given away on the show and the winner sold it to my friend for around $20K if I remember right. The bad part was the car still needed work but the good part was there was way more than $20K worth of parts there.
This car is not the same. They did build it in 48 (+a few) hours, but Smitty race the car hard and so I would not question the integrity of the car.
It was originally wrapped, but then after it was flared at a shop... it was painted yellow.
It will be interesting to see what it brings. I would love to own it.
This car is not "slapped together" to meet a dead line. Heck it wasn't even finished in the 48 build. It has been tuned, fine tuned, redone, and tuned some more. The accomplishments by car and especially the driver speak volumes.
I would certainly fine room for it in my garage too.

Get notified of new replies

To Pro-Tour 1972 Corvette

Quick Reply: Pro-Tour 1972 Corvette