Sponsored by:

While dash and center console removed

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:10 PM
tjmaniez
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default While dash and center console removed

I am completely redoing the stereo system in my 76 so in doing that I have removed the dash, gauge cluster, and the entire center console. While I have it all torn apart, does anyone have any recommendations for things I need/should replace. Basically everything is original. I am planning on replacing the light bulbs in the gauges but curious what the other restoration people think. I know it depends on the car but those with experience, I want to know your thoughts.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:15 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It would be convenient time to change out the dash wiring harness to a new one if you had any concerns about your old one. Also - now is a good time to check out the alignment of your driver side door as the hinge mounts can only be adjusted with the dash out.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:20 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

LED's
Old 11-23-2017, 11:53 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

When I had my 76 apart I changed any of the bulbs that looked suspect and cleaned all the grounds. The po had installed a Kenwood stereo and I exchanged it for an Alpine CD unit and a six disc changer mounted behind the drivers seat. I put it there since I'm 5" 6 1/2" and the seat will never be all the way back. I dressed out the wire harness and used wire ties to keep things separated. I wouldn't change the wire harness unless it was hacked up and in poor shape. There are many DC-8's, 9's and 10's produced in the 60's and 70's still in the air and I very seriously doubt the wiring harnesses have been changed sinc they were manufactured and I worked many of them at the plant in Long Beach, Calif.
I split the speedometer and tach wiring into two harnesses and used molex plugs to make it easier if they come out again and they will as I plan on changing glass fuse block for a blade fuse block from any GM vehicle I can find in the boneyard.
If you want I'll start a thread with pictures of what I've done since I don't want to hijack your thread.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:23 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Check all operational components and mechanisms that have movement to be sure they are functional and have freedom of movement. This includes all vacuum servos and linkages in the HVAC system, dampers, doors, and seals too.

There is little to go wrong with the dash wiring harness, unless it has been hacked-up or had a fire/over-current problem. But all bulbs should be replaced. I've tried the LED thing: the Chinese bulbs don't fit properly in the sockets, several are bad out of the box, and they don't dim properly unless you add a PWM control unit in the circuit. New bulbs will last many years. You SHOULD repair any bulb sockets that fall apart when you remove the bulb. A little epoxy on the retaining prongs will keep that metal contact ring in place...permanently.

In general, you want to repair or upgrade everything in the dash area so you don't ever have to get in there again!
Old 11-24-2017, 12:44 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

4x6 dash speakers? Check vacuum actuators for all hvac
Old 11-24-2017, 04:59 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Happy with your A/C? If not then now is the perfect time.ðŸ‘
David
Old 11-24-2017, 10:55 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

If it was me and I had all that disassembly taking place, I'd at least think (hard) about installing Dynamat or one of the other heat and sound insulation materials. The area you have apart is a major source of heat transfer from the engine bay to the passenger compartment. I'd also look to seal any unused holes on the firewall, which allow heat, cold, water, etc to enter the passenger compartment.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:17 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 542 Posts

Ditto the dynamat. Also, if there were any issues with your heater now is the time to check it all out such as vac lines or the core itself. Lots of stuff under there but it is really easy with the dash out.

Last edited by kanvasman; 11-24-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:02 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by redrdstr72
If it was me and I had all that disassembly taking place, I'd at least think (hard) about installing Dynamat or one of the other heat and sound insulation materials. The area you have apart is a major source of heat transfer from the engine bay to the passenger compartment. I'd also look to seal any unused holes on the firewall, which allow heat, cold, water, etc to enter the passenger compartment.

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by kanvasman
Ditto the dynamat. Also, if there were any issues with your heater now is the time to check it all out such as vac lines or the core itself. Lots of stuff under there but it is really easy with the dash out.

True Dat about heat shield/wrap......discolored heater core from seepage.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:15 AM
jboweriii
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spliced all my light bulb wiring with about 5 to 6". I can plug my light bulbs in and have enough room to as where they don't pop out on install

Get notified of new replies

To While dash and center console removed

Quick Reply: While dash and center console removed