Painting seat frames question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Painting seat frames question

Hi all - Happy New Year!

I finally bit the bullet and bought new seat foam and covers and the install kit. I want to re-build my seats. In some of the posts and videos I've found, some recommend painting the seat frames to help prevent future rust, etc. It sounds like a good idea.

My question is this - I am in Minneapolis - it's cold out. I have an insulated but not heated garage. If it was summer, I would spray paint them outside. I would like to do this project over the winter so they are ready to go and drive when it gets warm. I can't spray paint inside my house. Does anyone have an opinion about painting these with a brush? Would the paint be far too thick in this way? Would it be too hard to get into the small areas? Any recommendations on brand/type of paint to use?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I painted mine with a brush since the seats were still together and I had no option. I bought a quality brush at an art store and used thinned down Rustoleum. It flowed out beautifully to the point that it almost seems like powder coating. Took almost a week to fully dry/harden but looks terrific.

Good luck, be carefully and patient and you'll like the results. If you doubt, try a test on a random piece of metal before hand.

TC
Old 01-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Team Evil
I painted mine with a brush since the seats were still together and I had no option. I bought a quality brush at an art store and used thinned down Rustoleum. It flowed out beautifully to the point that it almost seems like powder coating. Took almost a week to fully dry/harden but looks terrific.

Good luck, be carefully and patient and you'll like the results. If you doubt, try a test on a random piece of metal before hand.

TC
Awesome - do you think if you didn't thin it out, it might not have worked well? How did you thin it out?
Old 01-01-2018, 04:29 PM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I bought one of those propane heaters that attaches to 30lb BBQ propane bottle. Heat up your workspace and turn the heater off, spray paint your rails and once done, restart the heater to help the paint dry. Make sure spray paint fumes has cleared 1st.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

No, I really do think that a little thinning helped a great deal to get it to flow out smoothly without brush marks. Rustoleum things with simple paint thinner, easy as can be and hold a terrific shine even if it takes a but longer to fully dry. I use Rustoleum gloss black for a great deal of bracket/detail work when getting in there with the spray gun isn't possible or is a bit too much trouble.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:45 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Rustolem Satin Black #666
perfect color/sheen.
also go over all springs and support wires,
make sure they are in good condtion.
If you had any sagging areas in your seat,
now is the time to adjust the wire supports.

Last edited by 69Vett; 01-02-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69Vett
Rustolem Satin Black #666
perfect color/sheen.
also go over all springs and support wires,
make sure they are in good condtion.
If you had any sagging areas in your seat,
now is the time to adjust the wire supports.
Thanks - I purchased the install kit from Willcox - I assume that includes the springs and wires you mention?

Get notified of new replies

To Painting seat frames question

Quick Reply: Painting seat frames question