Sponsored by:

Stuff that came in a box with my 69 BB Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:45 PM
itsallme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuff that came in a box with my 69 BB Vette

So I received a box of parts/extras/bits and pieces and had another look through yesterday. The original badges, corvette lettering, etc were all in there which was cool. Also the original 1969 number plates - every cool.

Anyway I took a few pics of a few things and have some questions.

1. Radios - is the one on the right (see pic) the original? Where would the one on the left have come from?

2. Mirrors - any idea what year these are from? The ones I have on the car are not as long...

3. Stickers on the back of the rear compartment door (in the parts box cos the car has repro faux timber ones installed) - original you reckon?

Thanks all from down under!

Cheers,

John
Attached Images    
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Radio on the right could be the original. One on the left is in just about every vendor's parts catalog.
No clue on the mirrors-
The door looks correct..
Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Good looking BB coupe you have there!

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but the original style mirrors have a teardrop shaped base and there are two sizes (smaller mirror, larger mirror). I believe the 69 came with the smaller size, and only available on the driver's side. You can purchase aftermarket ones for the passenger side, if you choose. That was one of the first things I added to my 69.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi John,
I believe you'll find that the original mirrors for your 69 had a head that was 3-7/8" high and 5-3/8" wide.
The original glass was marked indicating the supplier (DMI or AX) and a date.
Regards,
Alan

There is typically a sticker/label on the left side of the radio case with info that identifies it.

Donnelly Mirror Inc , December 1970

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-15-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

1) Radios - The radio on the right is a stock 68-76 mono radio (if it was a stereo, the heat sink would be larger and have two diodes). You can narrow down the year of the radio, by the color of the digits on the radio face. 68-71 radios have digits with a green tint to them, 72-76 radios have white digits.

The black radio that says "CORVETTE" on it is an aftermarket radio, likely made by Custom Autosound.

2) Mirrors - The small head mirrors were used from 68-74, the large head ones are 75-79. Chevrolet introduced the large head mirrors in 75, to improve rearward visibility. The support used is the same for both mirrors, only the mirror head changed.

Eventually, GM discontinued the small head mirrors, and all that was available until the repro's came out, was the large head mirror. A lot of 68-74 owners switched to the large head mirrors, for the improved visibility.

3) Stickers - They are the original labels found on the back of the jack compartment door. Those labels are common to all 68-72 Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuff that came in a box with my 69 BB Vette

Quick Reply: Stuff that came in a box with my 69 BB Vette