Sponsored by:

Body mounts on a 72.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:07 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Body mounts on a 72.

So i am right in the middle of cleaning the rear half of the frame. I did the front half last winter when I installed the new front suspension and the 502.
I had to weld up some holes in the trailing arm well, I got most of them, there are about 6 that had to be done. There are a couple of small ones I can't reach. I don't know what I am going to do with them yet.
Well anyway being under the car I think I will tackle the body bushings. I will go with the original aluminum ones. I think I will lift the body up to get in there, clean and rust proof the top of the frame then put the new bushings in. One side at a time. And no I am not doing a body off. I don't have the space and time. I have done frame offs before and don't want to get into one. If I take the car apart I will never drive it again. I have to much going on.
Before I do the job I want to blast the mount bolts with PB Blaster or Kroil. What is the best way to get to those bolt threads so I can spray them. I really don't want to snap a bolt.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:10 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Nobody knows where to shoot some PB blaster in?
Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

The #1’s you can get to in the engine compartment. #2’s behind the kick panels. #3’s behind that little access cover in front of the rear wheels, and #4’s under the carpet in the rearmost corners of the cabin. Coupes are easy to get to #4, not sure about verts with the top frame. Good luck. I got 6 of my 8 easily but one 3 and one 4 spun on me. I am now doing a body off lol.

Bill
Old 01-22-2018, 03:08 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
The #1’s you can get to in the engine compartment. #2’s behind the kick panels. #3’s behind that little access cover in front of the rear wheels, and #4’s under the carpet in the rearmost corners of the cabin. Coupes are easy to get to #4, not sure about verts with the top frame. Good luck. I got 6 of my 8 easily but one 3 and one 4 spun on me. I am now doing a body off lol.

Bill

I found all the bolts, but is there a spot I can spray PB blaster into. I didn't see anything other than the tops on the bolts.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:05 AM
damvette
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

#1 With the fender grille out the mount in right there
#2 from the bottom, spray oil up between frame and bird gage, The gage nut is close the rubber gasket squeezed between frame and birdgage.
#3 from the side, just in front of wheel, small hole, you can get the plastic squirt tube in, right into the gage nut. Nut is just behind the fiberglass, you can work the oil in from bolh side from the top, just from under the fiberglass.
#4 very ackward and hard on the back, from the rear on top you can get oil in on top the gage nut. lieing down face forward, head on top on rear wheel, using a mirror you can see the the nut to spray the oil.
Watch your back,
Derrick
Old 01-22-2018, 09:51 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by damvette
#1 With the fender grille out the mount in right there
#2 from the bottom, spray oil up between frame and bird gage, The gage nut is close the rubber gasket squeezed between frame and birdgage.
#3 from the side, just in front of wheel, small hole, you can get the plastic squirt tube in, right into the gage nut. Nut is just behind the fiberglass, you can work the oil in from bolh side from the top, just from under the fiberglass.
#4 very ackward and hard on the back, from the rear on top you can get oil in on top the gage nut. lieing down face forward, head on top on rear wheel, using a mirror you can see the the nut to spray the oil.
Watch your back,
Derrick

Thank you Derrick. Just the information I needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Body mounts on a 72.

Quick Reply: Body mounts on a 72.