Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:36 PM
gmmeyerIII
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Racing Corvette on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152873193979?rmvSB=true
Obviously this car has tons of mods but some things dont seem correct even for a period car of earlyto late 70's. Factory dash, panels, carpet, seats from the 80's, etc.
Still really cool, but if were to pay that price i would want documentation.
Anyone else feel this is off?
The following users liked this post:
Dynra Rockets (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 03:49 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

pretty sweet
Old 01-22-2018, 04:30 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

the term "race car" is an often misused, as in this case.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:37 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
Race car...a car that was used in races. Curious on how this term was misused in this case.

My '68 was primarily driven by my dad in NCCC level racing thru the '70s, '80s and '90s. Always thought of it as a race car.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:53 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

This 70 has been on a few Mecum Auctions not sure what it bid to will check
Old 01-22-2018, 05:21 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

It bid to 40k at Mecum Indy. Ad says it raced in the 70's and 80's.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

No title no vin...wow,
50k,
I believe a savvy builder could clone it for less than 50k,

I kind of like it, it has more heart than a few on here but with racers its that documentation and whose butt was in the seat....
Old 01-22-2018, 07:01 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
No title no vin...wow,
50k,
I believe a savvy builder could clone it for less than 50k,

I kind of like it, it has more heart than a few on here but with racers its that documentation and whose butt was in the seat....
Yeah unless a decently well known racer sat his butt in the seat I'm not sure I see it hitting $50k. The $40k at Mecum seems more than fair for the car.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by chazde3
Yeah unless a decently well known racer sat his butt in the seat I'm not sure I see it hitting $50k. The $40k at Mecum seems more than fair for the car.
Being no title no vin its race track only to me 40 was high,
The wires hanging and somewhat hack jobish finish hit me
Old 01-22-2018, 07:57 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr

I am with Charlie. How is the term being misused if the description is truthful?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree it looks to be a bit short of a full race car but it's got a great look and many, many mods needed to make it a racer. Looks like it's got a Guldstand 5-link setup in the rear. It looks like the whole car needs to be gone through and freshened, but might be good start for someone. I think you'd be money ahead starting with something like this instead of starting from scratch.

Last edited by Neil B; 01-23-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:29 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

My hang up is i need a car that is a titled vin having car,

I am sure there are closed door back room shady things that can give a car like this a vin but not in a legal way so im done there,

I like that rear suspension, could i add the extra links to mine?

The fuel pump and filter is like what my 66 had minus hanging wires,

Dont get me wrong i like the feel it has a lot, its just low end to me not like what you built neil, which i do judge others by...
Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

I am sure there are closed door back room shady things that can give a car like this a vin but not in a legal way so im done there,

I like that rear suspension, could i add the extra links to mine?

The fuel pump and filter is like what my 66 had minus hanging wires,

Dont get me wrong i like the feel it has a lot, its just low end to me not like what you built neil, which i do judge others by...
Depends on the state. Here in Indiana, you can title such a car as an "assembled" vehicle. I have done it with a homebuilt trailer, and my 1979 Honda Civic race car. My race car was a "body in white", that is, a car built from a stripped body sold by the factory with no VIN. These were intended for off road use only. First step was to print off the forms from the Indiana DMV, and contact the local police to do an inspection of the car. The first police officer freaked out there was no evidence of a VIN, so they sent over the chief detective of stolen vehicles. I had info from the web describing various makers (including Honda) "body in white" programs, had a factory shop manual showing where where the VIN numbers should be, and had those areas stripped of paint to verify no welding or grinding had been done. He verified there was no VIN and signed off my form. I then submitted it to the DMV to get an assigned VIN. Once that arrived, I had a trophy shop make a VIN plate to state specs, and attached it as required by the state. The police then verified the VIN, I applied for a title, and presto- a titled race car. It takes some homework and some patience, but if you are prepared, it can be done.

Marc in Indy
Old 01-23-2018, 10:02 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I am sure there are closed door back room shady things that can give a car like this a vin but not in a legal way so im done there.
That's a issue that can be dealt with but not likely legally.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:08 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by 128racecar
Depends on the state. Here in Indiana, you can title such a car as an "assembled" vehicle. I have done it with a homebuilt trailer, and my 1979 Honda Civic race car. My race car was a "body in white", that is, a car built from a stripped body sold by the factory with no VIN. These were intended for off road use only. First step was to print off the forms from the Indiana DMV, and contact the local police to do an inspection of the car. The first police officer freaked out there was no evidence of a VIN, so they sent over the chief detective of stolen vehicles. I had info from the web describing various makers (including Honda) "body in white" programs, had a factory shop manual showing where where the VIN numbers should be, and had those areas stripped of paint to verify no welding or grinding had been done. He verified there was no VIN and signed off my form. I then submitted it to the DMV to get an assigned VIN. Once that arrived, I had a trophy shop make a VIN plate to state specs, and attached it as required by the state. The police then verified the VIN, I applied for a title, and presto- a titled race car. It takes some homework and some patience, but if you are prepared, it can be done.

Marc in Indy
I have done it with many kits and trikes, its different,
Florida will not let you do that to this car,
Florida wont let you make your own nice vin tag either, i asked m,

So your States title would be issued assembled from parts 2018,
Will they call it chevy corvette,

I learned from feedback on this forum 100% have issues with blemish vin/titles
Even the ones who will buy such a car want a huge price cut,
Old 01-24-2018, 11:48 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Not a Guldstrand 5 Link! Whoever just got creative in adding a top suspension link! That is not a Guldstrand mod! I always want to see the engine build specs, before calling something a race car! There was some progression to the current state! I have seen plenty of instant cars, but whoever owned this evolved the car over time! May be an old autocrosser car! If you do any type of competition, you start tweeting things, adding this or that, like the toggle dash thing, the plumbed to the header engine breather system, etc
It looks like that kind of car where the Owner got an idea, and by the next weekend he had his mod done! Thus over time, the car ends up with a bunch of cool unique things done! I see he weld strapped the rear Diff cross brace and uses the aluminum pucks, so it was being used in some sort of competition! 5 leaf spring, etc etc etc! I have a fuel filter and dual pumps mounting board similar in my cars! I use the HP1 Frams too! I think whoever owned it know some things! I am never the slightest worried about bubba wiring either, as I usually rewire cars to my liking anyways! I like a direct key to coil wire/starter, so regardless of what fuse blows or what other electrical has a short, I can isolate and start it and drive it home if I have a working battery and alternator and a working starter is a plus, so I don't have to jump start it finding people to push!No Vin, no paperwork not my thing! Been there and done that with my 1963/64 car! I had to go to the chassis! Then I was worried about it being a stolen car! When I had the chassis out from under it and the car body up propped, when I went to the DMV, I never mentioned car, but just told them I bought a frame to use for repairs and wanted to check that a stolen car wasn't parted out, before using stolen parts on any of my cars! A little weirdness, had to explain it again to a Supervisor "what I was trying to do" and they ran the Vin for me and came up with nothing after looking at the frame on my trailer! It wasn't! Whew!!!! I figured if stolen, they could take the frame and I still have my car and all of the parts and then would just need a good legal frame! ! I then repaired the frame and stuck it back under the car! A car without a Vin identified Title will always be just a track car toy!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-24-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:00 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

id bet you could build a car with a title,to these specs,for $40-50k,with lots of newer parts

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Corvette on Ebay

Old 01-24-2018, 10:29 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Being involved in vintage racing, I was curious about this car, when I saw it on eBay.

The seller makes a lot of off the wall claims in the ad. To start with, no 72 LS-5's ever came with an M-22, and I'm not aware of any heavy duty suspension or heavy duty frame, being available on 72 LS-5's either. I may be wrong, but the upper control rod rear suspension looks like a Greenwood set up, not Guldstrand?

This car is supposed to be a "race car", yet it has a stock dash and gauges, carpeting, a heater and no fire suppression system (the extinguisher on the passenger side floor doesn't count). It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears it has the standard u-bolt stub axles too, not the cap type heavy duty ones, found on big blocks and regularly used on race cars. Really, who builds a race car, puts carpet in it and leaves a functioning heater in it, and what sanctioning body permits cars to race without a fire suppression system?

I'm guessing that this was either an autocross car, or someone's failed attempt to put a former race car, back on the street.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Being involved in vintage racing, I was curious about this car, when I saw it on eBay.

The seller makes a lot of off the wall claims in the ad. To start with, no 72 LS-5's ever came with an M-22, and I'm not aware of any heavy duty suspension or heavy duty frame, being available on 72 LS-5's either. I may be wrong, but the upper control rod rear suspension looks like a Greenwood set up, not Guldstrand?

This car is supposed to be a "race car", yet it has a stock dash and gauges, carpeting, a heater and no fire suppression system (the extinguisher on the passenger side floor doesn't count). It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears it has the standard u-bolt stub axles too, not the cap type heavy duty ones, found on big blocks and regularly used on race cars. Really, who builds a race car, puts carpet in it and leaves a functioning heater in it, and what sanctioning body permits cars to race without a fire suppression system?

I'm guessing that this was either an autocross car, or someone's failed attempt to put a former race car, back on the street.

You just might likely be on to something,

Ill speculate a little,
Rewind a decade or two
I can imagine a guy sees an old flared custom gets the idea to build a racer,
He adds some race inspiring parts to perhaps go with stuff the car already had adds a few graphics and calls it a race car, in over his head and it shows in many areas,

Of course it's embarrassing when track techs wont pass it or he has to think up a quick answer when some kid at a cruise asks, " hey mister what tracks you race on?"
So off for sale it goes...

From what i learned anyone can call any c3 a "race car"
in most all cases it takes that documentation to prove it, even then the car needs a colorful history with a name driver to start getting big bucks,

Last edited by The13Bats; 01-24-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:46 AM
maverickmk
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 186 Posts

I have done it with many kits and trikes, its different,
Florida will not let you do that to this car,
Florida wont let you make your own nice vin tag either, i asked m,

So your States title would be issued assembled from parts 2018,
Will they call it chevy corvette,

I learned from feedback on this forum 100% have issues with blemish vin/titles
Even the ones who will buy such a car want a huge price cut,
I'm pretty sure you can get what's called a "state issued VIN."
This is, of course, a number that the state comes up with and I believe on the title it is listed as unknown manufacturer and model - ?

I did also did not think that an HD frame was available as gbvette62 stated.

Quick Reply: Racing Corvette on Ebay