Clear coat issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Clear coat issue

I've attached a picture of the issue on the nose of my 72. I've just lived with it this way for the past 5 years and back then I was told there's no fix other than complete repaint. However, I now see youtube videos where people are fixing issues like this, albeit not quite as large as this.

It seems like I could possibly use a plastic razorblade to chip off the excess clear and then spot clear it? Anyone had any success with this? I know normally this wouldn't work longer term, but:

a) the spots are identical now as they were 5 years ago
b) the car rarely sits outside

Other than those spots, the car paint is fine (well, other than some ugly pinstriping, lol).

Basically, I'm looking for options rather than $10k for a repaint when the problem isn't completely terrible. It's a base 350 non-numbers matching, so there isn't a lot of value in repainting the car currently. The vinyl wrap thread has me thinking about this again since I was considering doing it a few years ago.

Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by taylor34; 02-21-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 PM
mjmike
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by taylor34
I've attached a picture of the issue on the nose of my 72. I've just lived with it this way for the past 5 years and back then I was told there's no fix other than complete repaint. However, I now see youtube videos where people are fixing issues like this, albeit not quite as large as this.

It seems like I could possibly use a plastic razorblade to chip off the excess clear and then spot clear it? Anyone had any success with this? I know normally this wouldn't work longer term, but:

Other than those spots, the car paint is fine (well, other than some ugly pinstriping, lol).

Basically, I'm looking for options rather than $10k for a repaint when the problem isn't completely terrible. It's a base 350 non-numbers matching, so there isn't a lot of value in repainting the car currently. The vinyl wrap thread has me thinking about this again since I was considering doing it a few years ago.

Thanks
1. Cut the whole car
2. Spot clear the bad spots
3. Re-cut the cleared spots
4. Buff the crap out of it!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:39 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

MJMIKE sorry but my novice brain does not compute. What does "CUT" mean? Are you referring to compounding it out? Thanks Ike
Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 PM
mjmike
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by general ike
MJMIKE sorry but my novice brain does not compute. What does "CUT" mean? Are you referring to compounding it out? Thanks Ike
Hi ike,

The process of cutting and buffing the Clear-Coat requires wet sanding the clear coat down very carefully without hitting the paint. This processes is used to remove imperfections and “Orange Peel” after the clear is applied. The resulting finish is a perfectly smooth and reflective shine. There are multiple steps involved in the buffing process. It is very time consuming but the result can bring back some paint jobs.

Mike
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Mike thank you for the clarification. So I guess you have to hope the the pin stripping is above the clear? Or that there is enough paint below it to remove it without burning thru??? Ike
Old 02-21-2018, 10:40 PM
JPinAZ
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no painter, but I think a good body shop that mixes/matches paint could redo the nose of that car including getting rid of the pinstripes for less than a grand.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:43 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

The spots will not match with new clear, the color will likely be off because its faded.

If you want to spray clear you have to feather sand the clearcoat to the exposed base. It is difficult to level off the surrounding clear without damaging the color.
common way to fix is just to pull off loose clear.
feather sand the area.
primer to level.
block panel.
paint blend primer area.
Clearcoat panel.

because the previous paint system is already failing it is likely to conitinue to happen again or on other panels.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You have paint failure and anything you do is a band aid fix BUT short of a new paint job go seek out a paint shot that does restoration work and see what they can do to at least make it not as noticeable.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:10 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

So it sounds like trying to fix it myself is a nonstarter, and that a shop might be able to fix it partially. I kept thinking it was going to get worse but it's unchanged over my 5 years (have old photos that show it unchanged). It's just a little hard to swallow spending 7k to 10k fixing something that is ok outside of that part, so a lot of other options sound appealing, lol.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:15 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

It's likely due to sitting indoors. Extreme outdoor sun or moisture it what kills the paiont.

The reason it gets worse is because the paint gets moisture between the base and clear and delaminates the clear.
Usually after many washes the water gets beneath the clear. Or from condenstaion of sitting outside.

When you repaint it, the idea is the remove the delaminated clear and seal it shut with more paint to prevent moisture getting between the paint layers.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:41 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by taylor34

Thanks
You’re right it probably won’t get worse if you keep it indoors, but you have to look at it every time you drive it. I am thinking you would be unhappy with a spot job, this looks like a nice Vette. Do you know what type of paint and clear you have.? It makes a difference. I would look into a re spray on just the front clip if the rest of the car looks good. Cool scallops on the nose.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gold Dragon
You’re right it probably won’t get worse if you keep it indoors, but you have to look at it every time you drive it. I am thinking you would be unhappy with a spot job, this looks like a nice Vette. Do you know what type of paint and clear you have.? It makes a difference. I would look into a re spray on just the front clip if the rest of the car looks good. Cool scallops on the nose.
Oh trust me, it's not that nice. Although it's getting better slowly. No idea on the paint and clear, it's not original, that's all I know. Just getting tired of looking at it, it's kind of any eyesore up front. Other than that, it's pretty decent all around for a car this age. I guess I figured that the spot blending couldn't get worse than how it looks right now.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:34 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

I would search out a really well experienced painter and ask him/her what the options were on this one. Unless you are 'flush' with funds, repainting doesn't seem like the way to go. Depending on what paint and clearcoat was used on your car, someone may know if there is a way to remove the damaged area of clearcoat (only) and then make spot repairs.

I highly doubt if anyone could sand off ONLY the damaged clearcoat and then spot repair those areas.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear coat issue

Quick Reply: Clear coat issue