Sponsored by:

Almost Mint 1980?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 PM
Rick O'Shay
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost Mint 1980?

Hello guys, new member here. I found this forum referenced on another forum and have really enjoyed it.

I saw this this add in the classifieds: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nal-miles.html

The ad reads all original and not restored. I realize pics are not the same as in person, but this car looks mint.

My question is this:

How does a car like this survive for 38 years?

While it is absolutely beautiful, it does not seem special for a future collectable. 1980 was about the time Corvettes first passed $20,000 IIRC.

$20,000 in 1980 would be just under $60,000 in today's dollars.

It is priced basically the same as when it was new. It was a horrible investment if someone purchased this with the intention of parking it for 40 years.

Any thoughts on why the previous owner(s) would do this? The only thing I can think of is the original owner died shortly after purchasing, and the family held on to it for sentimental reasons.

Just curious…

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 PM
Hemi John
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the corvette is mainly a 2nd car and gets very limited use. Funny as I am shopping for a '78-'82 C3 and low mileage cars are very common.
I found a 8000 mile '82 with window sticker showing original price:

I agree 100% about the buying and saving. Horrible investment then and probably now. Buy it to drive it!!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:10 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ROS,
Welcome!
First Post!

Very, very, few 68-82 cars turned out to be good 'investments'.
People bought (and still buy) cars for different reasons.
I'd think very few people buying Corvettes in the late sixties and early seventies were thinking 'investment' though.

Here's an example of a 72 that has been driven only about 300 miles and is now valued at about 30 times what it was purchased for in 1972.
I'd think the person that bought it in 1972 realized it was a very special car, but only he could say if he was thinking 'investment' at that time

Regards,
Alan

Old 04-21-2018, 07:41 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay
Hello guys, new member here. I found this forum referenced on another forum and have really enjoyed it.

I saw this this add in the classifieds: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nal-miles.html

The ad reads all original and not restored. I realize pics are not the same as in person, but this car looks mint.

My question is this:

While it is absolutely beautiful, it does not seem special for a future collectable. 1980 was about the time Corvettes first passed $20,000 IIRC.

It is priced basically the same as when it was new. It was a horrible investment if someone purchased this with the intention of parking it for 40 years.

Any thoughts on why the previous owner(s) would do this? The only thing I can think of is the original owner died shortly after purchasing, and the family held on to it for sentimental reasons.

Just curious…

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

Not exactly to your point, but a common 'discussion' I have with a good friend is that sometimes old = value but more often than not old just = old.

Some things are only worth so much - somebody might lay out that kind of money for the car but I doubt there are people lining up for it.

A while ago I saw a real LT-1 'garage find' - a '70 or '71 (don't remember). Rebuilt original motor (was seized), brakes, new heater core, new tires, rubber etc. 4 speed convertible. Original paint, protect-o-plate, tools etc. $42K. Hobby car and the original owner died shortly after purchasing it. I'd have a massive heart attack driving it after I heard the first 'tick' of a rock chip.

Cool find but if you could ask the car it's opinion over the years it would probably have said 'please drive me!'
Old 04-21-2018, 08:19 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...How does a car like this survive for 38 years?...Any thoughts on why the previous owner(s) would do this?...
Why not PM the seller and ask?
Old 04-21-2018, 09:45 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

I'm guilty of have a '71 LS5 Convertible that I don't drive. I bought it in 1975 and if I could go back in time I would have sold it in 1980. Keeping it registered and fully insured for the past 43 years has wasted a lot of $$. Some people don't know when to let go.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Rick O'Shay
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have always liked corvettes, but don't have all of the hp figures memorized. I think 1974 or 75 was when corvettes started getting hammered with emission controls, and 82 low the low point in hp.

Based on current values, it seems like most people consider them gutless or dogs when compared to Shelby GT500s, GTO Judges, Chevelles, etc.

I didn't understand why people would spend $60,000 (in today's dollars) for something and not enjoy driving it.

To be fair, I knew a rich guy in college that had a new 1980 corvette. It did not seem like a gutless dog at the time. Especially when compared to other cars at the time.

I'm glad that corvette values have not gotten to astronomical values. I am seriously considering purchasing one and enjoying it for what it is.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I have always liked corvettes, but don't have all of the hp figures memorized. I think 1974 or 75 was when corvettes started getting hammered with emission controls, and 82 low the low point in hp.
I'm pretty sure '75 was the low point in hp.

Edit: Base '75 engine 165 hp although the '75 L82 had 5 more hp than the '82 L83

Last edited by Priya; 04-21-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:03 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys.

Based on current values, it seems like most people consider them gutless or dogs when compared to Shelby GT500s, GTO Judges, Chevelles, etc.

I didn't understand why people would spend $60,000 (in today's dollars) for something and not enjoy driving it.

To be fair, I knew a rich guy in college that had a new 1980 corvette. It did not seem like a gutless dog at the time. Especially when compared to other cars at the time.

I'm glad that corvette values have not gotten to astronomical values. I am seriously considering purchasing one and enjoying it for what it is.
Well.......you've convinced me.........Let's do it!
Old 04-22-2018, 11:57 PM
formulaWA
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

My question is this:

Just curious…

Thanks!
Not sure why the original owner never drove it. For the most part they seemed to have looked after it although I did have to put stainless steel sleeves on the brakes but I expected that when I bought it. (A common C3 issue) The original tires are still in excellent shape with no flat spotting which suggests to me it was on jack stands. I bought it about 8 years ago to replace my 79 that I bought in 82. It was one of those it was cheaper to buy this "new" 1980 then fix up my old 79. U never "win" in car restoration. I live in the NW so there isn't that much sunny weather along with other elderly cars I have it only goes out occasionally on sunny Sundays so about 2000 miles over the past 8 years. I didn't buy it as an investment I just liked the 1980 style wanted to have the L-82 engine. Incidentally the 1980 L-82 was the very last "old school" factory muscle car ever made. Essentially an LT-1 with hydraulic lifters Carbureted with a higher lift long duration cam, rough idle big valves, valve guides, 4 bolt mains etc. It was the fastest car of it's time. While this one is completely stock I removed the emissions controls, rejetted the carburetor recurved the distributor and put a set of headers on my 79 and it would do 0-60 in 5 seconds. Given the 1980 is 300 lbs lighter it would probably be faster if the same minor mods were made to it. Most of the 1980 Corvettes had the standard passenger car 350. There were no L-82 engines made in 1980. THe 1980s that got the L-82 were leftovers from 79. Thats why most 1980 L-82 ordesr went unfullfilled. GM was having trouble getting them to pass emissions testing
Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by formulaWA
There were no L-82 engines made in 1980. THe 1980s that got the L-82 were leftovers from 79. Thats why most 1980 L-82 ordesr went unfullfilled. GM was having trouble getting them to pass emissions testing
Yes there were L82 engines available in 1980:
http://www.vettefacts.com/C3/1980.aspx

As the 1980 L82 had 5 more hp than the 1979 L82 I would think no leftover 79 L82's made their way into 1980 cars, at least not without modification to 1980 specs. GM must have been able to get the 1980 L82 to pass emissions or they wouldn't have made it available as an option.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:51 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by formulaWA
...There were no L-82 engines made in 1980. THe 1980s that got the L-82 were leftovers from 79...
Sorry, but there were no "leftover" engines due to emissions certifications for each model year. An engine was ordered from Flint for each Corvette to be assembled. My 80 L-82 was assembled in March, 1980. The engine was assembled at Flint at the end of February, 1980.

Get notified of new replies

To Almost Mint 1980?

Quick Reply: Almost Mint 1980?