Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Can the steering wheel be rotated.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 09:59 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 359 Posts

Default 1978 Can the steering wheel be rotated.

During the R&P install I need to realign the wheel to the center of the rack. This requires me to rotate the steering wheel on the column, but I believe the mounting of the steering wheel is keyed making this impossible. Before I start removing all the parts can someone confirm or deny this assumption.

The rack joint is keyed, steering column the u-joints is keyed so just rotated the column would be the easy fix but it's keyed to the U-joint.

any one have pictures of the steering wheel mounting to the column.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:15 AM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

The steering wheel is not keyed on the spline; I just had my 78 tilt column apart to replace the turn signal switch a week ago and it's fresh in my head. I do believe people have said there will be a problem with turn signals cancelling though, if you pull the wheel and misalign it to make it look straight. Here's a pic of the spline with the wheel removed.

Last edited by DB Cooper; 04-29-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:57 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DB Cooper
The steering wheel is not keyed on the spline; I just had my 78 tilt column apart to replace the turn signal switch a week ago and it's fresh in my head. I do believe people have said there will be a problem with turn signals cancelling though, if you pull the wheel and misalign it to make it look straight. Here's a pic of the spline with the wheel removed.

Thanks what torque to re attach the steering wheel nut ?
Old 04-29-2018, 12:05 PM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

I'm not sure; I just tightened mine till it felt about right.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What is critical for your turn signal to operate correctly is that the notch in the end of your steering column shaft MUST be at 12 'o'clock.

The photo above is NOT correctly showing that this notch is at 12'o'clock.

You can put the hub that your steering wheel is screwed to in any position. That does not effect anything. BUT...as stated. IF the notch at the end of your column shaft is not at 12'o'clock...your turn signals may not work correctly...or if at all in some turning conditions.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
SPCL FX (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:31 PM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
What is critical for your turn signal to operate correctly is that the notch in the end of your steering column shaft MUST be at 12 'o'clock.

You can put the hub that your steering wheel is screwed to in any position. That does not effect anything. BUT...as stated. IF the notch at the end of your column shaft is not at 12'o'clock...your turn signals may not work correctly...or if at all in some turning conditions.

DUB
So would that be a spline farther down the column in mine that I'd need to re-clock in order to make it kosher ?
Old 04-29-2018, 12:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

If you look at your photo.

And keep mind that I know that these cars have had people get into places that normally a person would not think that they got into...because I run into it quite often.

On a tele-tilt column. IF the main steering column shaft was removed for any major service...and the technician accidentally had the pivoting end of the column fall off and the plastic knuckle ball fell apart. And they re-assembled it. They can get it back together CORRECTLY....or had it go back together 180 degrees off.

What this does is effect how the large U clip goes in when the lock plate is being compressed. and can effect how the lower horn contact that has the provision in it for your turn signal operation all out of specs.

SO...assuming that your column is correct. If you look at your horn contact in the photo,...and the brass exposed portion of it that is at 5 'o'clock respectively...it needs to be at 12 'o'clock.

And thus...if everything else is correct....your center link of your front steering will be centered and your wheels are pointing straight.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
DB Cooper (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:05 PM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

That sounds likely in my case. Everything on my car has probably been apart at one time or another, and lots of things are a little off. And my front wheels weren't dead ahead while I tore into the column, they were off to the left a little. The mark at 5:00 prob would have been correct at 11:00. So one more thing to add to the list, lol. At least I know what it is.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:53 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Steering wheel is back on and yes I cannot get the notch @ 12 o'clock due to the R&P keyed u joints and the the R&P keying to the u joints. Just adds another thing the R&P conversion is not engineered correct as a kit for the 69-82 Corvette. (Flaming River)

Good thing I don't need turn signals at the track.

Thanks all.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 AM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
If you look at your photo.

And keep mind that I know that these cars have had people get into places that normally a person would not think that they got into...because I run into it quite often.

On a tele-tilt column. IF the main steering column shaft was removed for any major service...and the technician accidentally had the pivoting end of the column fall off and the plastic knuckle ball fell apart. And they re-assembled it. They can get it back together CORRECTLY....or had it go back together 180 degrees off.

What this does is effect how the large U clip goes in when the lock plate is being compressed. and can effect how the lower horn contact that has the provision in it for your turn signal operation all out of specs.

SO...assuming that your column is correct. If you look at your horn contact in the photo,...and the brass exposed portion of it that is at 5 'o'clock respectively...it needs to be at 12 'o'clock.

And thus...if everything else is correct....your center link of your front steering will be centered and your wheels are pointing straight.

DUB
I pulled the rag joint yesterday, rotated the wheel 180 degrees, reassembled the joint, and then pulled the wheel and rotated it 180. That got the shaft clocked correctly and the turn signals cancelling properly. As an added benefit, I discovered how little engagement the upper portion of the coupler had with the lower end of the column, and remedied that as well.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by DB Cooper
I pulled the rag joint yesterday, rotated the wheel 180 degrees, reassembled the joint, and then pulled the wheel and rotated it 180. That got the shaft clocked correctly and the turn signals cancelling properly. As an added benefit, I discovered how little engagement the upper portion of the coupler had with the lower end of the column, and remedied that as well.
I am glad that you got your turn signals working correctly again.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Can the steering wheel be rotated.

Quick Reply: 1978 Can the steering wheel be rotated.