Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Can the steering wheel be rotated.

 
Old 04-29-2018, 09:59 AM
  #1  
cagotzmann
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cagotzmann's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Sherwood Park Alberta
Posts: 2,214
Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
Default 1978 Can the steering wheel be rotated.

During the R&P install I need to realign the wheel to the center of the rack. This requires me to rotate the steering wheel on the column, but I believe the mounting of the steering wheel is keyed making this impossible. Before I start removing all the parts can someone confirm or deny this assumption.

The rack joint is keyed, steering column the u-joints is keyed so just rotated the column would be the easy fix but it's keyed to the U-joint.

any one have pictures of the steering wheel mounting to the column.
cagotzmann is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 10:15 AM
  #2  
DB Cooper
CF Senior Member
 
DB Cooper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Eastpointe MI
Posts: 1,892
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

The steering wheel is not keyed on the spline; I just had my 78 tilt column apart to replace the turn signal switch a week ago and it's fresh in my head. I do believe people have said there will be a problem with turn signals cancelling though, if you pull the wheel and misalign it to make it look straight. Here's a pic of the spline with the wheel removed.


Last edited by DB Cooper; 04-29-2018 at 10:18 AM.
DB Cooper is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 11:57 AM
  #3  
cagotzmann
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cagotzmann's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Sherwood Park Alberta
Posts: 2,214
Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
The steering wheel is not keyed on the spline; I just had my 78 tilt column apart to replace the turn signal switch a week ago and it's fresh in my head. I do believe people have said there will be a problem with turn signals cancelling though, if you pull the wheel and misalign it to make it look straight. Here's a pic of the spline with the wheel removed.

Thanks what torque to re attach the steering wheel nut ?
cagotzmann is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 12:05 PM
  #4  
DB Cooper
CF Senior Member
 
DB Cooper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Eastpointe MI
Posts: 1,892
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

I'm not sure; I just tightened mine till it felt about right.
DB Cooper is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 12:12 PM
  #5  
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 19,674
Received 2,521 Likes on 2,187 Posts
Default

What is critical for your turn signal to operate correctly is that the notch in the end of your steering column shaft MUST be at 12 'o'clock.

The photo above is NOT correctly showing that this notch is at 12'o'clock.

You can put the hub that your steering wheel is screwed to in any position. That does not effect anything. BUT...as stated. IF the notch at the end of your column shaft is not at 12'o'clock...your turn signals may not work correctly...or if at all in some turning conditions.

DUB
DUB is offline  
The following users liked this post:
SPCL FX (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:31 PM
  #6  
DB Cooper
CF Senior Member
 
DB Cooper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Eastpointe MI
Posts: 1,892
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DUB View Post
What is critical for your turn signal to operate correctly is that the notch in the end of your steering column shaft MUST be at 12 'o'clock.

The photo above is NOT correctly showing that this notch is at 12'o'clock.

You can put the hub that your steering wheel is screwed to in any position. That does not effect anything. BUT...as stated. IF the notch at the end of your column shaft is not at 12'o'clock...your turn signals may not work correctly...or if at all in some turning conditions.

DUB
So would that be a spline farther down the column in mine that I'd need to re-clock in order to make it kosher ?
DB Cooper is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 12:53 PM
  #7  
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 19,674
Received 2,521 Likes on 2,187 Posts
Default

If you look at your photo.

And keep mind that I know that these cars have had people get into places that normally a person would not think that they got into...because I run into it quite often.

On a tele-tilt column. IF the main steering column shaft was removed for any major service...and the technician accidentally had the pivoting end of the column fall off and the plastic knuckle ball fell apart. And they re-assembled it. They can get it back together CORRECTLY....or had it go back together 180 degrees off.

What this does is effect how the large U clip goes in when the lock plate is being compressed. and can effect how the lower horn contact that has the provision in it for your turn signal operation all out of specs.


SO...assuming that your column is correct. If you look at your horn contact in the photo,...and the brass exposed portion of it that is at 5 'o'clock respectively...it needs to be at 12 'o'clock.

And thus...if everything else is correct....your center link of your front steering will be centered and your wheels are pointing straight.

DUB
DUB is offline  
The following users liked this post:
DB Cooper (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:05 PM
  #8  
DB Cooper
CF Senior Member
 
DB Cooper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Eastpointe MI
Posts: 1,892
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

That sounds likely in my case. Everything on my car has probably been apart at one time or another, and lots of things are a little off. And my front wheels weren't dead ahead while I tore into the column, they were off to the left a little. The mark at 5:00 prob would have been correct at 11:00. So one more thing to add to the list, lol. At least I know what it is.
DB Cooper is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 02:53 PM
  #9  
cagotzmann
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cagotzmann's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Sherwood Park Alberta
Posts: 2,214
Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DUB View Post
What is critical for your turn signal to operate correctly is that the notch in the end of your steering column shaft MUST be at 12 'o'clock.

The photo above is NOT correctly showing that this notch is at 12'o'clock.

You can put the hub that your steering wheel is screwed to in any position. That does not effect anything. BUT...as stated. IF the notch at the end of your column shaft is not at 12'o'clock...your turn signals may not work correctly...or if at all in some turning conditions.

DUB
Steering wheel is back on and yes I cannot get the notch @ 12 o'clock due to the R&P keyed u joints and the the R&P keying to the u joints. Just adds another thing the R&P conversion is not engineered correct as a kit for the 69-82 Corvette. (Flaming River)

Good thing I don't need turn signals at the track.

Thanks all.


cagotzmann is offline  
Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 AM
  #10  
DB Cooper
CF Senior Member
 
DB Cooper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Eastpointe MI
Posts: 1,892
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DUB View Post
If you look at your photo.

And keep mind that I know that these cars have had people get into places that normally a person would not think that they got into...because I run into it quite often.

On a tele-tilt column. IF the main steering column shaft was removed for any major service...and the technician accidentally had the pivoting end of the column fall off and the plastic knuckle ball fell apart. And they re-assembled it. They can get it back together CORRECTLY....or had it go back together 180 degrees off.

What this does is effect how the large U clip goes in when the lock plate is being compressed. and can effect how the lower horn contact that has the provision in it for your turn signal operation all out of specs.


SO...assuming that your column is correct. If you look at your horn contact in the photo,...and the brass exposed portion of it that is at 5 'o'clock respectively...it needs to be at 12 'o'clock.

And thus...if everything else is correct....your center link of your front steering will be centered and your wheels are pointing straight.

DUB
I pulled the rag joint yesterday, rotated the wheel 180 degrees, reassembled the joint, and then pulled the wheel and rotated it 180. That got the shaft clocked correctly and the turn signals cancelling properly. As an added benefit, I discovered how little engagement the upper portion of the coupler had with the lower end of the column, and remedied that as well.
DB Cooper is offline  
Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM
  #11  
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 19,674
Received 2,521 Likes on 2,187 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
I pulled the rag joint yesterday, rotated the wheel 180 degrees, reassembled the joint, and then pulled the wheel and rotated it 180. That got the shaft clocked correctly and the turn signals cancelling properly. As an added benefit, I discovered how little engagement the upper portion of the coupler had with the lower end of the column, and remedied that as well.
I am glad that you got your turn signals working correctly again.

DUB
DUB is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1978 Can the steering wheel be rotated.


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: