74 454 need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 02:25 PM
mikerjf
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 454 need some help

Hi;

I'm new to the forum and I came here basically to try and sell my 74 454. I bought the car a while ago on a whim. Got a kick out of driving it for a while but with the traffic in Jersey pushing a clutch in bumper to bumper traffic gets old pretty quick, so I was using it less and less. Past few years I've only driven it around the block once in a while so I figure it's time to sell it. I did some research and Haggerty's says one of these in average condition is worth 23K. The window in my convertible top is shot and the front brake line needs to be replaced. That's about 2K so I listed it for 19K. It's been up for a few days and been viewed 200 times but no replies so I figure it's probably over priced. I'm not that knowledgeable with these things and I don't want to insult anybody by posting something totally off the wall so I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Pictures of the car would be kind of cool to look at.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Moonrunner
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics? How many miles? Interior condition? Modified or numbers matching? A/C, engine clean or greasy? It all makes a difference. 74 454 is a smog equipment year so its price is not directly comparable to earlier years. I’ll tell you up front, 19K is high priced for an average 1974 unless miles are very low.

Last edited by Moonrunner; 05-02-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:36 PM
mikerjf
7th Gear

Default Pics

Car has 63,474 miles, numbers don't match.

Last edited by mikerjf; 05-02-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-02-2018, 04:01 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by mikerjf
Hi;

I'm new to the forum and I came here basically to try and sell my 74 454. I bought the car a while ago on a whim. Got a kick out of driving it for a while but with the traffic in Jersey pushing a clutch in bumper to bumper traffic gets old pretty quick, so I was using it less and less. Past few years I've only driven it around the block once in a while so I figure it's time to sell it. I did some research and Haggerty's says one of these in average condition is worth 23K. The window in my convertible top is shot and the front brake line needs to be replaced. That's about 2K so I listed it for 19K. It's been up for a few days and been viewed 200 times but no replies so I figure it's probably over priced. I'm not that knowledgeable with these things and I don't want to insult anybody by posting something totally off the wall so I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike,
I was one of the 200 that viewed your for sale ad. Here are my thoughts:

1. You didn't specify the 454 NOM, is it a replacement, a used one out of a Corvette, or possibly out of a car or truck?
2. How good is the re-paint?
3. You need to spend a day and detail the car.
4. You need better pictures, interior close-up, engine photos, undercarriage photos, body mounts behind kick panels.
5. NOM, but what about the other components, transmission, differential, alternator, starter, carburetor, etc.

Spend some time and look at other for sale ads that post really good pictures and information about the car.
There might be someone out there that's looking for your exact car, it just takes time.
I'm prepared to take a couple of years to sell my '71 LS5 Convertible, you just never know about the C3 market.
Good luck.

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 05-02-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:15 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

The Corvette DNA app which you can download free says the car is worth $15,975 not including any repair work.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:54 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Let's start at the beginning for an early C3 that is not a '68-'71 car. We need to answer these questions, as delivered from the factory:

1. Is it a convertible?
2. Is it a big block?
3. Is it a manual?

In this case, the answer is "yes" to all three. When the answer to all three is "yes", you have a car that is legitimately "desirable".

So, trouble selling a desirable car under $20K. My first concern would be the not original motor. What happened to the original motor? No indication of how the car came to be without its original motor is going to cause pretty much all buyers to question whether the 60 something thousand miles is real.

When you say the window in your convertible top is "shot", is this on the soft top? The hard top one looks fine.

Why do you say the front brake line needs to be replaced? What are the symptoms? If it is just a bad brake line, buyers will be suspicious. Brake lines are easy enough for the weekend hobbyists like myself to change out, so if that is really the problem, change it out. If you leave it that way, folks are going to assume there is a more serious problem.

I used to live in Wayne NJ. I still roll through there every once in a while. Let me know if you feel me rolling by your place in my 'vette would help you any.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:25 PM
mikerjf
7th Gear

Default Thanks

I appreciate all the replies. Car is gone.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 74 454 need some help

Quick Reply: 74 454 need some help