Sponsored by:

RetroSound Long Beach Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Jaye71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RetroSound Long Beach Radio?

Does anyone have any experience with the RetroSound radios? Installation, radio quality, which faceplate, ***** look best?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:54 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Here's a pic of my RetroSound Hermosa radio, with 53-73 **** Set (Chrome with black center), and chrome bezel in my 69.

I think it looks nice, and sounds 'ok', but if I were doing it again, I might consider mounting some kind of remote control player/receiver behind the seats instead, and just use the remote (and leave the stock radio in the dash). Two reasons: the display is totally useless during the day (especially in a vert with the top down), and I think the sound is kind of 'tinny' (I'll probably add an amp and subwoofer the next time I have the dash apart). For the price, I expected the display to definitely be brighter.

Pros: compact size, USB dongle connector for playing MP3 music (at least the Hermosa has USB, not sure about the other models).

Old 05-11-2018, 12:00 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

And here's a pic of everything that was 'in the box':

Old 05-11-2018, 12:27 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Don't know anything specifically about that brand but it looks suspiciously like the Custom Autosound "retro" type radio I had recently. It was way overpriced for what it was, $300+, professionally installed. Audio and reception were sub-par. Started giving me problems within a year and completely died at about two years. Warranty expired. I bit the bullet and cut the panel to fit a nice modern Alpine at about half the price. Couldn't be happier.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:01 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts

I did a Retro Sound in my 71. As said above it needs help to get rid of the "tinny" sound.

Needs amp and sub woofer. I had dash and kick panel speakers. Really needs a couple of 6x9's in the back.

Custom Auto Sound is junk as far as I'm concerned. Had two and they both had problems. Display went bad. Push buttons stopped working.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:13 PM
Jaye71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1
I did a Retro Sound in my 71. As said above it needs help to get rid of the "tinny" sound.

Needs amp and sub woofer. I had dash and kick panel speakers. Really needs a couple of 6x9's in the back.

Custom Auto Sound is junk as far as I'm concerned. Had two and they both had problems. Display went bad. Push buttons stopped working.
I bought the Long Beach today. I'm just not ready to commit to cutting up the stock bezel. And for some reason, aftermarket 71 bezels are really expensive. Right now the cheap aftermarket radio in there only plays out of 1 dash speak and literally sounds worse than a transiter radio. I'll probably end up getting speakers for the kick panels for now and 6x9 boxes for the rear. What speakers/amp did you end up getting?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:14 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1

Mine has kick panel speakers and 6x9's in the back (in a custom built box) - still needs the subwoofer. Luckily, I built the box with that possibility in mind - but only had room for a 6" subwoofer unless I took out the soft-top...
Old 05-11-2018, 01:59 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I too have the Hermosa. I connected everything to the battery instead of using the factory wires. The cables connected to a 75x4 amp which feeds 6x9's in the rear and plate speakers in the kick panels.

My only complaint is you can't see the screen well on bright sunny days.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:59 PM
Jaye71
Intermediate

If I add an amp to this system would I have to change the stock alternator? Or would there be any modifications needed?
Old 05-11-2018, 03:55 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Nope, I just added the amp and wired it to the battery.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts

I used speakers from the local stereo home audio guy. I believe they were JL. I didn't add a amp or sub woofer. Per the local stereo guy the amps today are very small and can be hid up under the dash.

On my 68 C10 project I'm using two 4" JL speakers up in the dash and two 6x9" in the corners of the cab. He said let's hear before we start adding stuff.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:01 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

I was going to get one so i wouldnt have to cut my dash.

But the more i looked into them, the less i was impressed. THey are really expensive for the little features they have. beside the faceplate they all seem to be universal. and need to be built to fit your car. requires adjusting cheapy brackets, and ***** that need to be connceted. Ive read many issues with the ***** not working properly after a few months use. The interface looks difficult to navigate especially with the tiny screen and lack of buttons.

You can buy better Din radios with more features and power for 80$. So what im gonna do is get regular DIN bluetooth headunit with multiple usb. bluetooth mic, input outputs etc. and mount it in the storage compartment with and underdash kit. and mount the amp next to it.(or built into a speaker box). run a usb to charge my phone through the ashtray door. and run all wires to the back.\

I will have my original radio as a dummy. connect to back headunit via bluetooth adjust volume on device etc. can just reach over behind rear seat to headunit if i need to. get nice speakers amp with money saved. easier to wire everything back therem than having the retrosound wires going to back then to front.

Get notified of new replies

To RetroSound Long Beach Radio?

Quick Reply: RetroSound Long Beach Radio?