Convertible rear deck lid

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Convertible rear deck lid

I have my 69 roadster apart and am cleaning up the rear deck. The underside was painted black along with all the hardware and cables. I removed all the latches and bolts and hardware and sandblasted them. I’m not going for correct restoration on this project because I’m building it back as an L88 racer/restomod. My question is should the underside of the rear deck be left stripped and painted whatever body color I decide on or flat black? I know its rarely seen but just wondering what others have done and what they like. Also did you paint the hardware black or clear coat them? I’ve looked around the internet to see pictures of others and haven’t found any good clear shots yet. I’ve seen some body color with clear brackets which doesnt look to bad. Black wouldn’t be either if it doesnt flake off from use.

Let me know what you’ve done or liked!

Thanks,
Pat
Old 05-11-2018, 01:55 PM
A88FXRS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmccooey
I have my 69 roadster apart and am cleaning up the rear deck. The underside was painted black along with all the hardware and cables. I removed all the latches and bolts and hardware and sandblasted them. I’m not going for correct restoration on this project because I’m building it back as an L88 racer/restomod. My question is should the underside of the rear deck be left stripped and painted whatever body color I decide on or flat black? I know its rarely seen but just wondering what others have done and what they like. Also did you paint the hardware black or clear coat them? I’ve looked around the internet to see pictures of others and haven’t found any good clear shots yet. I’ve seen some body color with clear brackets which doesnt look to bad. Black wouldn’t be either if it doesnt flake off from use.

Let me know what you’ve done or liked!

Thanks,
Pat
it was the same body color from the factory as OEM
Old 05-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks, I figured it would be body color. The black on there now looks like a bad spray. This way I can strip it down when I send it out to paint.

Now what about the hardware??
Old 05-11-2018, 02:34 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

According to my restoration guide the hardware was mounted before the deck lid underside was painted. So, the hardware should be body color as well.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

From the factory, the hardware to release the lid so that it will lift up was installed when paint was sprayed, so it is body color. The hardware that releases the soft top/hardtop pins was installed later so it was unpainted.
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (05-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible rear deck lid

Quick Reply: Convertible rear deck lid