Advice on pending purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:39 AM
savannahz
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on pending purchase

Hello all,

This is my first post and I appreciate everyone's response.

I'm going Friday to look at a 1974 Convertible. The car has 51k original miles and supposedly no rust issues. It's a southern car with a l-82 and 4-speed. I've read the sticky on what to look for.

The car has had major trauma in its history. The original motor caught fire and took out the engine, hood, fenders, etc. Another 1974 motor was put in (used) with similar mileage and the brakes, suspension (front and rear), headlight motor, wiper motor, etc were all replaced with new parts. The interior is original and is in good shape save the carpet. The top is in good shape. A small portion of the carpet has a hole due to the fire. The windshield was also replaced. The car now is primer up front and paint from the doors back. The fire was contained mainly to the passenger side and licked the outside of the door enough to turn the color.

I'm going to drive/inspect the car, but it's a 6-hour drive for me. The cost is 9,500. Supposedly, the car drives, handles, and brakes well.

What do you guys think about the fire damage history? Could this have affected the structural integrity of the frame? The seller says he has 7k in receipts of new parts being put on after the blaze. The owner is 71 and states he's just aged out of the project. I'm not looking for an investment vehicle, just a nice project car I can drive and work on at the same time.

Thanks!

--Jonathan
Old 06-12-2018, 10:59 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I believe you can find a very nice car for $9,500. The market is soft and working to help you with your search. Painting the front end won't be inexpensive either. There is no more numbers matching because the engine has been replaced which further lowers the value of the car.

My two cents would be to keep looking for a nice car in your price range that has a good history.

Good luck with your decision but I would not think you will like it when you see it in person. Quite a project and I can promise you will be putting a lot more into it than you think you might. Add $5K to the price for your efforts and consider buying a $15K car that is ready to go.

Again, good luck with your decision.

David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Old 06-12-2018, 11:02 AM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 867 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by savannahz
Hello all,

I'm going Friday to look at a 1974 Convertible.
The car has had major trauma in its history.
I'm going to drive/inspect the car, but it's a 6-hour drive for me. The cost is 9,500. Supposedly, the car drives, handles, and brakes well.

What do you guys think about the fire damage history?

Thanks!
I think $9,500 can buy a really nice Vette that was never on fire. For a little more you can buy a car ready to go and save yourself the restoration cost.

Here is an example- I am not affiliated.

https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/...613610375.html

Last edited by KingRat; 06-12-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

To me, the paint issue makes this a deal killer for the price. I would also wonder about the frame damage and the possibility of rust inside from the heat burning the paint of inside out. Personally, I would pass. There are too many 1974+ cars out there at similar prices that do not have the possible issues this one has.

But I ain't an expert!

Hello all,

I'm going Friday to look at a 1974 Convertible. The car has 51k original miles and supposedly no rust issues. It's a southern car with a l-82 and 4-speed. I've read the sticky on what to look for.

The car has had major trauma in its history. The original motor caught fire and took out the engine, hood, fenders, etc. Another 1974 motor was put in (used) with similar mileage and the brakes, suspension (front and rear), headlight motor, wiper motor, etc were all replaced with new parts. The interior is original and is in good shape save the carpet. The top is in good shape. A small portion of the carpet has a hole due to the fire. The windshield was also replaced. The car now is primer up front and paint from the doors back. The fire was contained mainly to the passenger side and licked the outside of the door enough to turn the color.

What do you guys think about the fire damage history? Could this have affected the structural integrity of the frame? The seller says he has 7k in receipts of new parts being put on after the blaze. The owner is 71 and states he's just aged out of the project. I'm not looking for an investment vehicle, just a nice project car I can drive and work on at the same time.

Thanks!

--Jonathan
Old 06-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...What do you guys think about the fire damage history? Could this have affected the structural integrity of the frame?...
Who can say? It takes a very hot fire to bend steel, but that would be something you would want to check on when you see the car. I agree you may be able to find more car for the same money.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 06-12-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRat
I think $9,500 can buy a really nice Vette that was never on fire.

I agree with everyone on this... there’s an awful lot of good cars in this age range that can be purchased for this money without 6 hour trips and a history like that.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:22 AM
savannahz
Cruising

Thanks for all the quick responses. I wasn't clear in that the fenders, hood, front clip and all have been replaced and just need paint. I was going to paint any car most likely as I have a specific color in mind.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 867 Likes on 420 Posts

Thanks for all the quick responses. I wasn't clear in that the fenders, hood, front clip and all have been replaced and just need paint. I was going to paint any car most likely as I have a specific color in mind.
The rear bumper looks like it is off of a '75- I'd inquire about that too. It also has the '75 emblem on the gas lid so who knows if this car has had a history with its rear as well. Yes it could be replacement for cracking bumper and the emblem added but I would still wonder.

Last edited by KingRat; 06-12-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

OP, give us an idea where you, and/or the car are located. Maybe somebody local to it either A) knows it's history; or B) can look at it for you. A 12 hour round trip is nothing to sneeze at, if you know what I mean….
Old 06-12-2018, 11:37 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

You sound like you might have made your mind up already. A couple things to keep in mind:

-it’s not a L82 any more, it’s an NOM
-“original” Miles is indicative of the suspensions history, not much else with this car.
-sounds like you have a non original color in mind. Remember if you are calculating value, wrong motor, wrong color, worth even less at the end of the day, plus the fire history. You might own this one for awhile.
-have you looked at the title? With the history you describe, it might have been branded (“junk”, “rebuilt” etc) if it was previously an insurance total. For that matter, make sure the original VIN tag is in place and not replaced by a state reissue. Again, that’s up to you but yet another significant value hit.
-issues like nonoriginal parts or other concerns are your call, but don’t lose sight of the value. 9500 is a lot of money for this car.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:37 AM
savannahz
Cruising

it's located in La Grange, North Carolina which is located outside of Raleigh or Wilmington. Of course, any help would be deeply appreciated. I am surprised the rear clip and gas cap aren't original.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 AM
savannahz
Cruising

If it drives nicely and I'm not concerned about originality and just want a nice vert to work on and drive, what would you consider a good offer (if the frame looks good)? I haven't made up my mind... I am excited but am trying not to let emotions get involved. I am taking your guys advice seriously...thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Unless you plan on painting the car yourself figure no less than $10,000 not including the body work it still needs.....Hood doesn't fit very well.

I'm not sure it's even worth half what they are asking...Not trying to burst your bubble...Just giving an honest answer.

Good luck with your hunt.
Brian
Old 06-12-2018, 12:04 PM
savannahz
Cruising

ok, thanks for the advice. I've stepped away from the purchase as I don't have the money to do this twice or make a large (avoidable) mistake. I'll keep looking...
Old 06-12-2018, 12:22 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Years ago, my dad had a shop rebuilding Corvettes, mostly C3s and a few C4s (they were new at that time).

One car that sticks in my mind was a black '79 that had an engine fire which burned the hood and passenger fender. All of the affected fiberglass was replaced, everything under the hood was scrubbed, cleaned, and repainted, and the interior was thoroughly cleaned - including replacing the carpeting and removing/cleaning the vent ducting.

Unfortunately, no amount of cleaning could get rid of the burnt smell.

Since then, I try to avoid anything that's had a fire, especially Corvettes.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:31 PM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 141 Posts

Ask to look at the title if is says salvage then I wouldn't buy it. Here is Arizona if a car is badly damaged it my have a salvage title I don't know about the state where the car is.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

While convertibles are more sought after and fetch more as does the 4 speed,

Assuming the title is clean and clear i still find the 9500 too high with what its been though,
If you plan to tinker and restomod on top of that,

Comparible I paid 6500 delivered for a 69 convertible, not perfect or purist, i didnt want that, i am a modder,
But i paid 6500 because it was just what i was hunting,

If the 74 title was clean and the receipts did reflect on the car i might offer the cat 7k its a cool starting point.

Blem title, 4500

Theres a modded car in sales i would likely jump on if price reflected blem title and cars condition...

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on pending purchase

Old 06-12-2018, 03:46 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

What's with all the JB weld on the top of the firewall in pic 4?
Also, this appears to be an A/C car but the entire evaporator case is missing from the engine compartment (burned to a crisp I suspect), along with the A/C compressor etc. and there is now a huge hole in the firewall where it should be mounted. What's with that?

I have to agree with the others-
This is a questionable car that still requires a fair amount of effort to complete.
There are lots of better options out there for the money.
Just sayin'

Last edited by ezobens; 06-12-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:43 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Ezobens,

I missed that, pretty much hack job there,
Im pretty sure the engine has to come out to repair the ac housing...my 72 bb did
Old 06-12-2018, 05:59 PM
savannahz
Cruising

Originally Posted by ezobens
What's with all the JB weld on the top of the firewall in pic 4?
Also, this appears to be an A/C car but the entire evaporator case is missing from the engine compartment (burned to a crisp I suspect), along with the A/C compressor etc. and there is now a huge hole in the firewall where it should be mounted. What's with that?

I have to agree with the others-
This is a questionable car that still requires a fair amount of effort to complete.
There are lots of better options out there for the money.
Just sayin'
I didn't notice that at all. Also, I had no clue it was a 1795 rear clip and emblem. I asked the seller about that when I was bowing out and he said he didn't believe that. Anyhow, thanks again for all the knowledge and suggestions!!

Quick Reply: Advice on pending purchase