Sponsored by:

steering wheel not centered on my 68

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default steering wheel not centered on my 68

after a wheel alignment two years ago I found the steering wheel was off center. The right side spoke is at about 1 o'clock when I drive straight down the road. I removed the wheel and the hub but there is no way to clock the wheel to correct this. I know there is a way to adjust the tie rod tubes to center the wheel but am not sure of the procedure. can some one enlighten me?

Thanks
Don
Old 06-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Assuming you trust the alignment, and there isn't some other problem (flat spot on top of steering box input shaft is in the correct orientation, for example)...

If you lengthen one tie rod the same amount that you shorten the other, you can move the steering wheel relative to the wheels without changing the toe-in setting.

With the wheels straight, to move the wheel from 0100 to 1200 (counterclockwise), you shorten the passenger side rod, and lengthen the driver's side. I could be exactly wrong about this, though.

Use ramps, if your car can clear them, as it may take some trial and error to get it just right, and you'll need to test drive to check.

Last edited by Bikespace; 06-20-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:37 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

A 68 box should be an iron cover with no D-Flat. Now that doesn't mean it wasn't replaced. Typically if a box was swapped with another box or new gears installed in the original box the steering wheel center will be off. If the box and steering wheel were fine before alignment that I would agree there is an alignment issue. Indexing the steering wheel on the column can be done but you shouldn't have to do that if the rest of the setup is correct.

Now some will tell you to center the box by going lock to lock and splitting the difference. That is true but not the correct way to setup the box. Ina Textbook world the true center and high center are the same, in reality they are different. I would say 8 out of 10 steering boxes I get in and check they are off.

What I would do in this case, I would pull the box, get a 0-30 in/lb dial torque wrench, find and mark the high center- if the box is in good shape, mark it, install the box and setup the witness mark at 12 o'clock on center and see where he steering wheel is, if off adjust or better yet find a competent alignment shop and have the whole car aligned.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:41 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

As GTR stated your gear box center must be determined. If gear box is centered correctly and tie rods are basically the same length then just reclock the steer wheel at the upper hub. If tie rods are at a noticeably different length the they need to be adjusted accordingly. T
Old 06-21-2018, 07:14 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

And you'll need to re-align the car. I'd bring it to an alignment shop that knows what they are doing with these old cars and have them do it the right way. I just had mine done. In and put in a couple of hours.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:14 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

" I removed the wheel and the hub but there is no way to clock the wheel to correct this. " I had the same problem on my 68 convert and centered it by pulling the steering wheel with the hub still attached and carefully turned it one tooth at a time on the splined hub and splined steering shaft until it was centered.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:54 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by wraplock
after a wheel alignment two years ago I found the steering wheel was off center. The right side spoke is at about 1 o'clock when I drive straight down the road. I removed the wheel and the hub but there is no way to clock the wheel to correct this. I know there is a way to adjust the tie rod tubes to center the wheel but am not sure of the procedure. can some one enlighten me?

Thanks
Don
Does this help?

The following users liked this post:
Kipring (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The alignment shop is responsible for getting the steering wheel to be straight when driving on level pavement....OR....for explaining to you what is mechanically wrong with the car such that the steering wheel cannot be properly aligned. The steering wheel has 6 equally spaced attachment screws; that allows the wheel to be 'clocked' in 60 degree increments. If the wheel is not off by that much, then the tie rod adjusters should be used to set the steering wheel in proper position. Apparently, your shop did "none of the above" to position the steering wheel properly.

Get notified of new replies

To steering wheel not centered on my 68

Quick Reply: steering wheel not centered on my 68