Sponsored by:

why are C3's so cheap

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:22 AM
LFOTremolo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapter2
Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Please guys, keep this as quiet as you can! I love paying under $30,000 for very nice examples of the only true American sports car! Let all those fools pay double for straight-line only, metal bodied, non-framed family wagons. Let's keep our hobby affordable and exclusive to only us smart guys and gals. :-)
+1!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
because the cost to bring them up to speed is so much more......the rear end on a C3 is about the most expensive set up you can have compared to muscle cars. also as a two seater you lose some of the desirability for a family cruise.

At least with the non chrome bumper years. Add the comparative difficulty of working on them (how much crap can you fit in the shifter console?) or finding a mechanic who knows how to work on them. Body work and paint costs way more on a Vette, and is beyond the average skill level. My wife calls my car $500, because it seems like everything costs about $500. New carpet? About $500, Redo the seats? About $500, New interior panels? Yep, About $500.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elba Mike:
amandico82 (02-13-2021), RooBoy (07-17-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:00 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

all good points & imo part of what is driving prices down on most old cars period is you really have to want one...back in the 80s/90s new cars werent fast so sure they bought older.
Now its the opposite....30-40k buys a rocket with a warranty that gets 30mpg...Just dont see many younger people wanting to buy these older cars. Slow, dont handle all that great, no electronic gadgets, etc.
so whos gonna buy them in 10 yrs (if they even allow gas powered cars to run around).

Some guy in the C5 sec had a decent blue one he wanted to paint yellow just cause. Man the crap he took cause "it may affect future value"...LOL value of what?
Too much work worrying about all that.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
all good points & imo part of what is driving prices down on most old cars period is you really have to want one...back in the 80s/90s new cars werent fast so sure they bought older.
Now its the opposite....30-40k buys a rocket with a warranty that gets 30mpg...Just dont see many younger people wanting to buy these older cars. Slow, dont handle all that great, no electronic gadgets, etc.
so whos gonna buy them in 10 yrs (if they even allow gas powered cars to run around).

Some guy in the C5 sec had a decent blue one he wanted to paint yellow just cause. Man the crap he took cause "it may affect future value"...LOL value of what?
Too much work worrying about all that.

Sadly, it seems once all the Baby Boomers die off there will very little interest in our toys. One big reason is the generations that follow generally do not have the skills, knowledge or patience to work and maintain them. I play in vintage guitar amp restoration and reproduction and the same goes there, the younger players are fine with the cheap asian crap as long as the overdrive sounds like a Marshall. If it breaks, they throw it out and buy something new.

The following users liked this post:
EnfieldJoe (07-29-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:25 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
Sadly, it seems once all the Baby Boomers die off there will very little interest in our toys. One big reason is the generations that follow generally do not have the skills, knowledge or patience to work and maintain them. I play in vintage guitar amp restoration and reproduction and the same goes there, the younger players are fine with the cheap asian crap as long as the overdrive sounds like a Marshall. If it breaks, they throw it out and buy something new.
Easy there, some of us GenX'ers still know our way around a wrench =)
The following 2 users liked this post by PainfullySlow:
amandico82 (02-13-2021), CheezMoe (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:41 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Old 07-16-2018, 03:35 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
And a good old tube amp too!
The following 2 users liked this post by Metalhead140:
CheezMoe (07-16-2018), PainfullySlow (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:55 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
price a chrome bumper 68-72 and get back to us
Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
A lot of truth in that post dd.
I too remember in the mid 70's, being offered a neighbor's one owner, 1966 fastback Mustang, 289 4 speed. Price was $600, I offered $500, he refused, I walked. That's all the car was worth at that point in time. However, around the same time my friend bought a real nice '71 Corvette 454, 4 speed coupe for $3,500.
We thought that was CRAZY money back then.
Most nice muscle cars could be had for $1,800-$2,500 then.
I bought my 1969 Corvette Coupe 350/350 4 speed with air for $2,800 in 1974, sold it a year later for $3,400. Then I bought my '71 LS5 Convertible/Hardtop, 4 speed with air for $4,500 in 1975. Of course all of my friends thought I overpaid for each one.
amandico82 (02-13-2021)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:31 PM
KevinL46
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill
its the demand factor. kids wanted a 69 camaro when they were young, or already owned one and want to relive their past. they could not afford a vette, so throw out the rarity factor in all but the most wanted option..
^^^^^This kind of explains how I became a C3 owner.

I was living in Indy in '69 and got a Camaro Pace Car toy for my 3rd birthday (which sits on the bookshelf above my desk as I type). I always said I wanted one of those cars when I grew up. Somewhere in my early teens I realized that the '68 was the best of the 1st gen body style , so while driving a '72 Chevelle 350 for 2 years, "I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes" (to steal a quote) and my senior year in high school, I bought my dream '68 Camaro that I owned for the next 18 years. Flash forward through life, marriage and a kid, and I needed some cash but outside of my house my Camaro was the most valuable thing I owned, so it drew the short straw and got sold. I regretted it from the moment it rolled out the drive but it had to be done. Now I've reach comfortable middle age, with the accompanying comfortable amount of disposable income, so I start looking for a Camaro to replace the one that got away. What I soon realized, is that a bunch of other people wanted the Camaro of thier youth and as a result, (as the kids say) OMG!, even a piece of crap 1st Gen beater is now going for ~$15k, while cars that don't need paint, interior and a new motor are going for $35-$40K. So, I set my eyes on a more reasonably priced early 2nd Gen. I find an excellent condition restored '71 SS for $27K but lo and behold on the way to look at it, I run across a numbers matching '69 L46 C3 convertible with 103k original miles (being sold by the second owner after 35 years) for $19.5K. Had I realized how affordable an early C3 was, I would have started my search there a couple years ago instead of wasting time trying to find a decent price vs condition 1st Gen Camaro or even thinking about a fall back option of an early 2nd Gen.

All of that being said, besides wanting the car of their youth (which wasn't a Corvette), I think C3s (as well as other cars of that era) suffer from the not totally undeserved perception that "70's cars are anemic and have terrible build quality"

Last edited by KevinL46; 07-16-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Yankeededandy (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 PM
TERRY CLARK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How about the pricing on the Short Wheel Base C10 Pickups.........they are going through the roof !
Old 07-17-2018, 02:57 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I think as some others have pointed out the abundance of C3's for sale is what holds prices down with exceptions for the really rare ones. The C2 Midyears were only built for 5 years and demand is pretty high. The C3 lasted so long and to the average observer are hard to distinguish with exception of the chrome bumpers. When you look at the C3 for sale section on this forum it is mostly people trying to sell. If you look at the C1/C/2 section there are many want to buy threads. It boils down to supply and demand.
71 Green 454 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:05 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Lots of C3 corvettes have survived over the years and 10's of thousands were made each year. Muscle cars were all steel, far cheaper to buy (maybe no incentive to keep them up back in the day like a vette owner would) and rusted out or just fell apart. If there is a shortage these days of muscle cars, supply and demand based prices come into effect..
Bingo!!!

Prior to buying a Corvette in 2001, I owned a 1977 Pontiac T/A. Due to that dumb-assed movie, "Smokey And The Bandit", everybody and his brother wanted one of those cars, so they could feed their Burt Reynolds fantasy. ME? I just wanted one because it had the big engine and the HD suspension. Nonetheless, these cars were quite prevalent back then, but living in the northeast, a LOT of people drove them year round. I didn't. Within 4-5 years, I was one of the few who still had one, at least one that still looked quite good...
Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,154 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I'll never do a steel-bodied classic car again. That said, it would be nice to have a Camaro, Firebird, or Corvair for days like today that combine perfect driving weather with the need to move kids around for summer camp. The market is the market, supply and demand set the prices, even if it doesn't match our personal preferences.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:37 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I'll never do a steel-bodied classic car again. That said, it would be nice to have a Camaro, Firebird, or Corvair for days like today that combine perfect driving weather with the need to move kids around for summer camp. The market is the market, supply and demand set the prices, even if it doesn't match our personal preferences.
It really is supply and demand. In most cases such as the C3 there is a pretty good supply which holds most of the generation with the exception of the chrome bumper cars down. Funny you mention the Corvair which is often overlooked. They are very cheap but demand is low. They are fun cars though and offer a lot of value for the buck. I owned a '66 4 speed convertible once and it was a good looking fun car. It was really a much better car than they were given credit for. The Corsa was a real performer.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 AM
Sharky II
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

• When Chics start preferring 50 year bald fat guys I won't be complaining about that either.

1980 L-48 4-speed. My fun daily driver

I have no complaints
Originally Posted by av81
Simple , way to many c3 cars available , you can scroll CL looking at plenty of vettes for sale try putting in GTO, Camaro,Mustang or a Chrysler you won't find much sometimes none on Boston CL but vettes galore all the time even really nice vettes that linger on there for months even years before they sell.
I am too thankful for this. I just bought a very cool red on red 1980 matching # L-48 4-speed with 3.36 gears (93,000 .original miles) I am loving it! Thank God most rich guys want a "muscle car" My first few cars were Camaros and Firebirds As soon as I could afford one I bought a C3. (1987)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

If being "plentiful" and "long production run" is the reason for C3's being so cheap, then why are Porsche 911's skyrocketing in value? Their production run is similar, very small changes in styling. A mint 70's era Turbo 911, which boasts less than 300 HP, is around 6 figures. A similar condition big block chrome bumper C3 is about half that. Just sayin.....and I ain't complaining!

Get notified of new replies

To why are C3's so cheap

Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM
Barrist
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

C3 prices are being manipulated by the Vendor's, the low price is just the HOOK !

(I'm Sure of This, I have a Corvair too)
Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

First off, I love Camaro’s. I own a gen 5, and have owned 2 gen 2’s. Im a blue collar worker and feel comfortable owning what I think of as a working mans car. I always think of a corvette right or wrong, as a retirement car, or a car for the up and comers, or a more affluent persons whim.
I own a C3 because that is the car I lusted for back in the 70’s. I have way too much money in it to ever get back out. I Built it the way I envisioned it should be. I sporadically look for a 67-69 Camaro. I like them. Someday I may get serious about buying a real Z/28. I know of a few, $40k will buy them. How much for that LT-1?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:20 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

No knock here, but I'm just not seeing that happen with Tri Five Chevy"s and the people that had those in their youth are getting way up there. There's a huge international market and the restomod craze has given these cars a new lease on life. Anyone that can tell a screwdriver from a hammer can update the suspension and brakes so they are on a par with newer cars. Check out the popularity of SEMA and you'll see our hobby is very robust.
Metalhead140 (07-26-2018)

Quick Reply: why are C3's so cheap