C3 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 06:18 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C3 Brakes

Folks,

The left front caliper on my 1969 vette (350/350) started dripping fluid. Thought it would be an easy job and ordered a new caliper, new pads and new brake hose. Well, I could not get the old brake hose off the old "small" brake line (they attach just inside the wheel are). Where they attach was pretty corroded, so I opted to order a new brake line (the small one that goes from the brake hose to the brass proportioning block). Now the big problem. I cannot get the old brake line out of the brass proportioning block. I tried several 9/16 wrenches (and muscle), didn't work. Tried penetrating oil (and time), didn't work. I cut off the old brake line at the "nut" going into the block, put on a socket (and muscle), didn't work. I took a torch t heat up the nut (several times), didn't work. Removed the alternator to give me more room (and muscle), still didn't work.

Any advice?

Jim
Old 07-11-2018, 07:33 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMES69
Folks,

The left front caliper on my 1969 vette (350/350) started dripping fluid. Thought it would be an easy job and ordered a new caliper, new pads and new brake hose. Well, I could not get the old brake hose off the old "small" brake line (they attach just inside the wheel are). Where they attach was pretty corroded, so I opted to order a new brake line (the small one that goes from the brake hose to the brass proportioning block). Now the big problem. I cannot get the old brake line out of the brass proportioning block. I tried several 9/16 wrenches (and muscle), didn't work. Tried penetrating oil (and time), didn't work. I cut off the old brake line at the "nut" going into the block, put on a socket (and muscle), didn't work. I took a torch t heat up the nut (several times), didn't work. Removed the alternator to give me more room (and muscle), still didn't work.

Any advice?

Jim
Buy a new proportioning valve ? Tough location for sure. Spray the other connections ( wait a few days ) and see if you can remove the lines. Sorry you're in a tough spot.
Good Luck.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:56 PM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Folks,

Any advice?

Jim
If you haven't rounded the nut off by now, count your blessings. How about the other connections on the proportioning valve - can you break them loose? If you can, you might be able to remove it from the car and place it in a vice to remove the stubborn fitting.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Originally Posted by gguillot
If you haven't rounded the nut off by now, count your blessings. How about the other connections on the proportioning valve - can you break them loose? If you can, you might be able to remove it from the car and place it in a vice to remove the stubborn fitting.
Unfortunately, the nut doesn't have a lot of "flat" edges left (my Irish temper didn't help). I tried the other lines going into the proportioning valve, none will move even with the penetrating oil!!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Folks,

Any advice?

Jim
How much heat, propane torch or oxy acetelyne? Heat, lots of it, cherry red fitting(s) to break them loose. I would think that a new proportioning valve and a total brake fluid flush will be required. Remainder of your options aren’t pretty if you can’t get that fitting off. Too late for the stubborn fitting, but good quality flare nut wrenches also help with stubborn fittings.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had some success with grinding flat spots on either side of the nut and clamping it with vise grips. I don't know whether you can fit a vise grip in there or not. If you have to take the proportioning valve off the car, you could definitely try that using a bench vise to hold the valve. Good luck.

MajD.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:12 PM
JayRay
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

After I rounded mine off and they were still stuck I used a small pipe wrench and it worked. The pipe wrench liked the grip on a rounded nut.
The following users liked this post:
JAMES69 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 08:29 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Originally Posted by JayRay
After I rounded mine off and they were still stuck I used a small pipe wrench and it worked. The pipe wrench liked the grip on a rounded nut.
The pipe wrench worked!!!!!! Thank-you so much, saved so much work if I had to remove all the lines etc!!

Jim
Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 PM
JayRay
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad it worked out, do a burn out for me and throw some Corvette Karma this way, on my way to the garage
Old 07-13-2018, 10:47 PM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

The pipe wrench worked!!!!!! Thank-you so much, saved so much work if I had to remove all the lines etc!!

Jim
Glad to hear! Been in similar predicaments while working on my old Vettes. Never fun when it happens, but always great when you get through it! All part of the experience of working on these great old cars.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Brakes

Quick Reply: C3 Brakes