Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 craigslist find advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:18 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

larry. do you have any bird cage or frame pics? andRyan, wifey is right you don't need 2 cars. and if you did, you don't need 1 to be a Vette. This addiction of ours is not about purchases that make sense, but cheaper than cocaine or mistresses in the long run...

Last edited by derekderek; 07-18-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 AM
truckerlary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
larry. do you have any bird cage or frame pics? andRyan, wifey is right you don't need 2 cars. and if you did, you don't need 1 to be a Vette. This addiction of ours is not about purchases that make sense, but cheaper than cocaine or mistresses in the long run...
There is a picture of the bottom of the birdcage in the ad but it isn't very clear. I will see if I can do any better on some frame and birdcage pictures. Ryan came and looked at the car so anyone can ask his unbiased opinion of the car.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:27 AM
squared
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Cars with great paint almost always look great, but to me, it's what's underneath that matters...and anything's replaceable given time, money and skills. I'm not long in the tooth with these C-3s but having disassembled one, the windshield frame and pillar rust are a concern, not to mention the frame. And this car possibly has spent it's whole life in Indiana..no disrespect to Indiana..I'm from there. I once bought a 95 Z-28 convertible which looked fantastic, the kid who owned it was from Chicago, his father gave it to him as a graduation present. I didn't give a lot for the car, it was a lot of fun to drive, but once I put that thing up on a lift...it left a lasting impression. Less than 10 years old, it was soon to be a rust bucket. I'd check the carpet near the kick panels to see if it smells of mildew. Look up under it to get a good feel for the condition of the steel. $11k is teetering on too much unless that's all good. In my area sub $9k C-3s are plentiful, and if I have to work on it, it has to be cheap.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:01 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by squared
Cars with great paint almost always look great, but to me, it's what's underneath that matters...and anything's replaceable given time, money and skills. I'm not long in the tooth with these C-3s but having disassembled one, the windshield frame and pillar rust are a concern, not to mention the frame. And this car possibly has spent it's whole life in Indiana..no disrespect to Indiana..I'm from there. I once bought a 95 Z-28 convertible which looked fantastic, the kid who owned it was from Chicago, his father gave it to him as a graduation present. I didn't give a lot for the car, it was a lot of fun to drive, but once I put that thing up on a lift...it left a lasting impression. Less than 10 years old, it was soon to be a rust bucket. I'd check the carpet near the kick panels to see if it smells of mildew. Look up under it to get a good feel for the condition of the steel. $11k is teetering on too much unless that's all good. In my area sub $9k C-3s are plentiful, and if I have to work on it, it has to be cheap.
I think many Vettes were summer only cars so assuming a 40 year old example will be rusty is not really true. I just bought a 79' that spent it's life in Michigan and it still had shinny metal on parts of the frame. Had 60K miles been stored and covered in a garage and never driven in the winter. Had a 78' 10 years ago and it was the same deal. Michigan car all it's life and had no rust, again never any winters. So go look and check it out.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:40 AM
truckerlary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Frame and birdcage are solid. No rust through anywhere. You got to remember this car was inside on a cement floor for at least 26 years.

Junction block between alternator and started. Fan wires connected here.

Bird cage left side. Right side looks just as good

I was able to get some more pictures of the bird cage on the drivers side and some pictures underneath. I don't have a lift and at going on 75 it is a job for me to jack up but hopefully these pictures will help tell the tale. I painted part of the frame but part of it shows just surface rust. This car is solid as Ryan can attest to after coming and looking. Have also added a 105 amp alternator and new valve covers since the add was placed. Have new seat covers and foam coming hopefully this week. I posted pictures of the exhaust underneath to show Scottd that the exhaust isn't a hack job but done where anything can be replaced. Have a new true dual exhaust out in the barn that can go with the car if buyer don't like sidepipes. Hope these pictures answer any questions you guys have. Thanks Larry

Last edited by truckerlary; 07-18-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:10 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Ryan Sidwell
Beautiful car all over, all bases covered in taking this thing from a dusty engineless mess to what it is today. Larry has clearly spun a few wrenches and it shows it the details of this car. Currently in negotiations with the wife who doesn’t think I need two cars
I would offer 9K
Old 07-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

I posted pictures of the exhaust underneath to show Scottd that the exhaust isn't a hack job but done where anything can be replaced. Have a new true dual exhaust out in the barn that can go with the car if buyer don't like sidepipes. Hope these pictures answer any questions you guys have. Thanks Larry[/QUOTE]

Larry, I wasn't paying close enough attention to see that you, the seller, is posting here. Please excuse my skeptical nature, I got roped into a car body swap Vette and have been dealing with small issues ever since. You car looks to be much better prepared than mine was. Kudos. My concern about the exhaust was that its truly universal, and the previous owner had drilled a few other holes in my frame and I had a hell of a time trying to find what ones to use to properly affix those very same pipes. Good luck on the sale.

Quick Reply: 75 craigslist find advice