Sponsored by:

69 temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 02:18 PM
mbp
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 69 temp gauge

Hello to all. My problem is that my temperature gauge reads low ,about 20 -30 degrees compared to readings from an IR gun. I know from other posts that this is very common and can be corrected with an adjustable resistor such as the type Willcox sells. However when looking at the Willcox site and the adjuster item it states that it is for use with "original factory " gauge. I'm sure that the gauge has been replaced some time in the 49 years, to clean and clear to be original.
So my question is will the adjustable resistor not work on the gauge that is in the car now? If not, is there any way to adjust the gauge closer to the actual temperature. Trying to think what the difference would be and why it would not work? Any suggestions or reasons. Thanks and take care.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:20 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Post pictures of your temp gauge. Let us see the backside to see if the original resistor is still there.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:02 PM
mbp
Racer

Originally Posted by carriljc
Post pictures of your temp gauge. Let us see the backside to see if the original resistor is still there.
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea how to post pictures. However the gauge is a replacement with no resistor on it.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:22 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

You can read the "sticky" on how to add images above. Meanwhile, just for info, here is an image of the adjustable resistor as I was installing mine:
This is what replaces the stock resistor that was there before. Just providing it for info. Did you keep the old temp gauge?

Last edited by carriljc; 08-04-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:13 PM
mbp
Racer

Thanks again. No, I didn’t swap them out it was already done. I’m trying to narrow the difference in temps between the replacement gauge and true temp. I might of misunderstood but from the Wilcox video and their web site it appears that the adjustable resistor can’t be used with a replacement gauge. I wondered if this was correct and any other way of trying to dial in a replacement gauge got it to be accurate.
It appears all of the sending units differ and are basically not right for a true reading so I thought there must be a way to correct this. Perhaps it’s just a case of finding the closest sending unit and making do.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:37 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

I believe you are correct. Willcox says that adjustable resistor only works with original gauges. If you know where the gauge came from, then perhaps you can contact that outfit and request info on the temp sensor that is supposed to be used.

OTHERWISE, you can look on fleabay and get a stock Corvette gauge (careful about green/white digit coloring and whatnot).... I just looked and there are quite a few available. I was so glad to get my gauge reading properly with the adjustable resistor that I wonder why I put it off so long .

Originally Posted by mbp
Thanks again. No, I didn’t swap them out it was already done. I’m trying to narrow the difference in temps between the replacement gauge and true temp. I might of misunderstood but from the Wilcox video and their web site it appears that the adjustable resistor can’t be used with a replacement gauge. I wondered if this was correct and any other way of trying to dial in a replacement gauge got it to be accurate.
It appears all of the sending units differ and are basically not right for a true reading so I thought there must be a way to correct this. Perhaps it’s just a case of finding the closest sending unit and making do.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 temp gauge

Quick Reply: 69 temp gauge