Sponsored by:

DUI problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Japery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DUI problems?

I just installed a new DUI distributor on my 355 crate engine and have problems a ready. I started the car and it was clearly not firing on all cylinders. I took out the plugs - cleaned them off and the car ran fine. I switched the car off, restarted it and the same happened again. This time on investigation the plugs were wet.

So

I replaced the plugs - took it for a drive and things again were fine. The next day - again - it is chugging away on less than all cylinders. And so the story goes on - each time I start the car on a different day it is neccesary to clean the plugs first or it will not be firing properly. I will typically get 20miles before I need to take remedial action.

The car is garaged and not driven too hard. It has a new crate engine with new plugs,wires,carb and manifold.

I know that I am not special and hope that it is a standard problem that someone with more mechanical knowhow than me can help with?

Any and all greatly appreciated
Old 08-08-2018, 07:38 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

I did a search of DUI: Suggestions were to add a second 10 ga. ground cable (to the head from the battery negative post). They also said to add a 12 ga. wire from the battery negative post to the distributor housing.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Japery
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I did a search of DUI: Suggestions were to add a second 10 ga. ground cable (to the head from the battery negative post). They also said to add a 12 ga. wire from the battery negative post to the distributor housing.
Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking it was a ground issue as well. Any idea how to add a wire to the housing?
Old 08-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I thought maybe you were looking for a good DUI lawyer....Glad it's just a distributor and not a distilled one.

Brian
Old 08-08-2018, 10:58 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

To me- it sounds way too random to be a bad ground....The distributor doesn't pull that much current to warrant extra grounds. I mean if your car's starter turns fine- then I doubt another-bigger ground would make a difference.

Sounds to me like a bad module- or just another case of Chinese junk. Do you have another distributor to drop in and verify it is the DUI.

Richard
Old 08-09-2018, 06:38 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Wee
I thought maybe you were looking for a good DUI lawyer....Glad it's just a distributor and not a distilled one.

Brian
I was gonna suggest a cup holder...
Old 08-09-2018, 06:42 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Actually that dist is grounded pretty good bolted to the engine. And the starter works so the engine ground can handle several hundred amps. I buy 50 buck Chinese Large cap HEI distributors for my boats and they run great.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I installed a DUI distributor in my car when I restored it, timed it, and its run perfect ever since. No additional grounding, nothing. And DUI is MADE IN USA. Call them, when I bought mine, I ordered direct from them, and they seemed very friendly.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I installed a DUI distributor in my car when I restored it, timed it, and its run perfect ever since. No additional grounding, nothing. And DUI is MADE IN USA. Call them, when I bought mine, I ordered direct from them, and they seemed very friendly.
Same experience here. Looking at their website they recommend that any paint on the intake as well as the hold down be free of paint at contact points. If you can confirm metal to metal contact points I would suggest calling Davis. You could have a bad module.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Japery
Instructor

I put a 12 gauge ground wire on the hold clip because it is a new manifold and it still didnt work. I put my multi meter to the hot wire and it drops when i start it to 9. It has a new battery but i think i ran it down. Im going to recharge and see what that does. Plus when i was trying to start it some of the exhausts were hot and some cold which tells me that not all cylinders are firing. Right?

Last edited by Japery; 08-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:23 PM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What year is your corvette? Was it points originally? If so did you you bypass the resistance circuit?
If you didn't then that could be causing your 9volts and misfiring. You need a good solid power source for the HEI.

For testing you can run a jumper wire to the BATT terminal on the HEI to something like the B+ on the alternator or even in to the plus side of the battery. Unhook the wire that is connected there now so you don't backfeed in to the harness. Remember the car wont shut off until you unhook the jumper wire.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/130...an-hei-system/
Old 08-10-2018, 12:23 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by Japery
Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking it was a ground issue as well. Any idea how to add a wire to the housing?
That was the fastest/least expensive advice I found in the search. If additional ground wire(s) don't fix the problem.....and charging the battery still doesn't provide 12V at the distributor connection....do as Connecticut advised by running a temporary jumper to the distributor to make sure it is getting at least 12V.
Post your results. More experienced members can narrow down the problem from your results.
The following users liked this post:
Japery (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Japery
Instructor

The car is a 77 and it did come with a 94 Iroc engine with TPI. I couldn't get the thing tuned thou. I charged the battery and seems to work OK but thats what happend the last time. Fingers crossed,
Old 08-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Japery
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wee

Brian
Its funny you say that because thats what comes up first on the search suggestions.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:59 AM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Japery
charged the battery and seems to work OK but thats what happend the last time. Fingers crossed,
Well your ignition problem may actually turn out to be an alternator problem
Next time it acts up measure the voltage at the BAT terminal on the HEI then measure the voltage right at the battery. If its drastically different then you have a wiring issue. If your 9volts on the battery then you got something up with your charging system.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

I vote for a bad coil. Mine was acting up intermittently after I replaced the coil with an aftermarket unit. Put the original GM coil back in and all is well.

Try another known good coil.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by ConnecticutJunkman
What year is your corvette? Was it points originally? If so did you you bypass the resistance circuit?
If you didn't then that could be causing your 9volts and misfiring. You need a good solid power source for the HEI.

For testing you can run a jumper wire to the BATT terminal on the HEI to something like the B+ on the alternator or even in to the plus side of the battery. Unhook the wire that is connected there now so you don't backfeed in to the harness. Remember the car wont shut off until you unhook the jumper wire.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/130...an-hei-system/
this is a common mistake when installing a HEI in older points cars.. i unpin the resistor wire in the fiewall plug and solder a new 10g wire in. the fuse block side is a true 12v. it is just reduced once it hits the firewall plug side resistor wire..once you replace that wire you should be good...TROY
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Starting in 75- the Corvette came from the factory with HEI- so no resistor wire on the 77

Get notified of new replies

To DUI problems?

Quick Reply: DUI problems?