Sponsored by:

Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:04 PM
cdj46
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Seats

I am putting to gather the seats on my 69. The car has shoulder belts. There is a place on top of seat for shoulder strap retainer, however the holes for the screws are on the left side of both seats. Is this correct?
Thanks Chuck
Old 08-14-2018, 09:02 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Hi cdj46,
No that's not correct, the passenger seat retainer should be on the outside shoulder of the seat back.
Mark
Old 08-14-2018, 09:25 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I am trying to picture what you are writing about. Does the 1969 seats have a provision for the seat belt to pass through the top portion of the seat? I have a 72 and a 73, and both years have a metal trim where the seat belt passes through. This trim has a slot on the side closest to the door for both seats. On the back side of the seat there is a bezel where the seat belt passes through, and it screws into a bracket on the back.

I was trying to look online at the Wilcox site to see if they had a description specific for a 1969 to judge if this is what you were asking about.

kdf
Old 08-14-2018, 10:19 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

The 69 has a guide which screws in place for the shoulder belt on the outside shoulder of the seat back. See the link below.
https://www.zip-corvette.com/68-69-s...ess-guide.html
Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:52 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

These are the over shoulder seat belt loops on an original early 69 . The retractable belt housing located in the rear mounted on the rear fender well.

RVZIO

Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Although nothing surprises me much anymore... I am surprised that the seats didn't have the provision for mounting on both sides so that they only had one back and they could put the seatbelt guide on either side....
M
Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 AM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

I believe the guide only has one "handedness", at least as installed on my car when I got it. But yes, that same shape installs on the outside shoulder of either seat.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mooser
Although nothing surprises me much anymore... I am surprised that the seats didn't have the provision for mounting on both sides so that they only had one back and they could put the seatbelt guide on either side....
M
No different to producing 2 different chassis one for manual and one for auto. The extra cost of tooling alone should have rang alarm bells!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

You may want to check to see if you have 2 Driver seats.
The seat belt guide loops should both be on the outboard sides of each seat, but the fore-aft adjuster, including locking track and the adjust **** is on the right side of both. Even the seat back dump lever is on the same (left) side of both seats.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

When I looked on ebay there was a set and it appeared that there was a reinforcement plate riveted to the top of the seat frame. It wasn't clear but it looked like it was on both sides of the headrest which is why I thought it might be there. On the later seats there is a plate and guide for the shoulder belt that can be mounted on either side so the seat backs are interchangeable (until you cut the vinyl hole so I figured the 68/69 might be the same.

If there is a reinforcement plate riveted to the top of the seat, could one of yours be drilled and moved to the other side to solve your issue? Might be easier than finding another seat frame?
M

I'd be curious to see how that guide attached now, could you post a pic of the frame?
Thanks
M

Last edited by Mooser; 08-16-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:28 AM
cdj46
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Seat

Originally Posted by Mooser
When I looked on ebay there was a set and it appeared that there was a reinforcement plate riveted to the top of the seat frame. It wasn't clear but it looked like it was on both sides of the headrest which is why I thought it might be there. On the later seats there is a plate and guide for the shoulder belt that can be mounted on either side so the seat backs are interchangeable (until you cut the vinyl hole so I figured the 68/69 might be the same.

If there is a reinforcement plate riveted to the top of the seat, could one of yours be drilled and moved to the other side to solve your issue? Might be easier than finding another seat frame?
M

I'd be curious to see how that guide attached now, could you post a pic of the frame?
Thanks
M
OK thanks to all for the response. The answer is the seats are drilled and supported on each side. I went ahead and took the seats apart and that is what I found.

Get notified of new replies

To Seats

Quick Reply: Seats