71 hood stuck passenger side - cable not broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 PM
metrocs
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 71 hood stuck passenger side - cable not broken

Hey guys,
New vette owner but have been wrenching on cars for +40 years.
So, was installing my hood after repairing the driver side hinge area on the hood (fiberglass) and installed new hinges on both sides.
Well went to latch because things seemed close for fit, but can't get the passenger side to un-latch, no problem with driver side. Cable is intact for both sides and the latch is operating. Have tried the method of accessing it via the small hole in the cowl area to push on it. Took the side vent off and attached a strong nylon pull string and can get the latch to operate. It does seem to 'unlatch' but not enough to fully release from the hood lock. I have taken 2 of the 4 hood hinge bolts out on the passenger side and loosen the 2 remaining ones to give some play. I am at a roadblock and contemplating using a small hole saw to drill an access hole from the top above the hood lock so I can unscrew it... Of course this is a last resort and wondering if anyone has some ideas?

Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks
Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 PM
metrocs
Cruising

Yep, fab'ed up the tool and it hasn't helped, I really scoured the forums before posting.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by metrocs; 08-16-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:26 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by metrocs
Hey guys,
New vette owner but have been wrenching on cars for +40 years.
So, was installing my hood after repairing the driver side hinge area on the hood (fiberglass) and installed new hinges on both sides.
Well went to latch because things seemed close for fit, but can't get the passenger side to un-latch, no problem with driver side. Cable is intact for both sides and the latch is operating. Have tried the method of accessing it via the small hole in the cowl area to push on it. Took the side vent off and attached a strong nylon pull string and can get the latch to operate. It does seem to 'unlatch' but not enough to fully release from the hood lock. I have taken 2 of the 4 hood hinge bolts out on the passenger side and loosen the 2 remaining ones to give some play. I am at a roadblock and contemplating using a small hole saw to drill an access hole from the top above the hood lock so I can unscrew it... Of course this is a last resort and wondering if anyone has some ideas?

Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks
Before drilling your hood, take all of the hinge bolts out. I had to do this when going thru the same problem you are having. With the hood loose at the front, you can move it around to get the latch to release. Then attach a wire to the latch and tape it so you can reach it with the hood closed as an emergency release until you get your fit adjustment worked out. Do a search for the method to adjust the position of the latches- that helped me get the pesky thing to work properly.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:50 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

If your car is non A/C you can unbolt the striker plate. I had to on my 6t8 but it's a real PITA. T
Old 08-17-2018, 05:28 PM
metrocs
Cruising

Hey Folks,

Update, So my good friend his brother and a friend visiting from Australia came over today for a short visit and to help out. The car Gods must have been on my side because the first time we tried opening the hood BAM it opened!!! Unbelievable. So we spent a few hours working on the latches, fit and finish and the hood is on for the first time in 6 years that I am aware of (I purchased the vette in June of this year). I had also came across the passenger side front brake caliper leaking while I was trying to get the hood open. I replaced it with a O'Reily rebuilt for the time being.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and ideas.

Now off to the Woodward Dream Cruise!!! (hoping for no rain....)

Don

Get notified of new replies

To 71 hood stuck passenger side - cable not broken

Quick Reply: 71 hood stuck passenger side - cable not broken