Sponsored by:

Screw size list?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Screw size list?

Is there a list out there where screw numbers AND sizes are listed next to various C3 items they secure?

The reason I ask is that I just painted my '73, and now it's time to re-assemble everything back. I've tried using the ***. manual, and it's a tremendous help in assembly, but when I do the search with the screw's part #, more than half the time I cannot come up with a size description. No doubt I should have bagged each screw with a location description, but too late of course for that.

Perhaps just a reliable screw/bolt website, with GM # with it's size listed, that someone knows.

I'm retired, and yeah I've got time to do it by way of fitting what I think will fit, but just how much time IS left, ya know? Just want to do it right.

Thanks much.
Steve
Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 177 Posts

no sizes as such,
but i have looked at http://www.corvettefasteners.com/ many times to see what a certain screw is supposed to look like.
The following 3 users liked this post by riverracer au:
Cavu2u (09-07-2018), LenWoodruff (09-07-2018), ratflinger (09-10-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:44 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

I bought a complete set of fasteners from Ecklers for my 68 convert. It had little plastic ziplock bags of all of the various sizes labeled for what they were used to fasten. I believe they also sell individual bags specific for the parts they are used to fasten.
The following users liked this post:
Cavu2u (09-07-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

I bought a screw set for just the interior Ron, but they didn't have the size of the screws printed on the packages.

Steve
Old 09-06-2018, 11:25 PM
boat196
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 132 Posts

Look up AMK, they reference GM numbers for the (limited) fasteners that they sell. This has been discussed in the past, you might search if you already hadn’t. Alan71 has posted many photos of various fasteners.
Bob
Cavu2u (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:37 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: The Parts and Illustrations Catalogue lists quite a lot of fastener sizes. You can find these in paper or on CD.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 09-07-2018 at 08:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Easy Mike:
Cavu2u (09-07-2018), garyguinn (09-11-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by riverracer au
no sizes as such,
but i have looked at http://www.corvettefasteners.com/ many times to see what a certain screw is supposed to look like.
Photos help!
Thank you sir.

Steve
Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boat196
Look up AMK, they reference GM numbers for the (limited) fasteners that they sell. This has been discussed in the past, you might search if you already hadn’t. Alan71 has posted many photos of various fasteners.
Bob
I was afraid of that Bob. Couldn't find it.
Thanks.

Steve

Old 09-07-2018, 08:12 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

FWIW: The Parts and Illustrations Catalogue lists quite a lot of fastener sizes. You can fid these in paper or on CD.
That book's worth quite a bit to guys like us Mike.
Thanks.

Steve
Old 09-07-2018, 10:09 AM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

It is generally a real PIA to find bolt sizes. It is time consuming the way I have been doing it. I go to the AIM and get the GM part number. I then go to the NCRS forum and search that part number. Most of the time Joe Lucia has posted the size and finish of the bolt.

Good luck,
Allen
Cavu2u (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:07 PM
raven1708
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also get the digital catalog from paragon for c3. In the back they have alot of info on them.
Cavu2u (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 04:57 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
I bought a screw set for just the interior Ron, but they didn't have the size of the screws printed on the packages.

Steve
My set did not have sizes either. The bags just said where they were supposed to be used.
Cavu2u (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by raven1708
You can also get the digital catalog from paragon for c3. In the back they have alot of info on them.
That's GREAT!
Thanks for the info.

Steve
Old 09-08-2018, 08:26 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ronarndt
My set did not have sizes either. The bags just said where they were supposed to be used.
At least we could match 'em up at the local hardware store.
Thanks Ron.

Steve
Old 09-08-2018, 11:58 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
At least we could match 'em up at the local hardware store.
Thanks Ron.

Steve
I have lost track of how many times I have spent standing in the fastener section comparing the one size I need to the variety of sizes available to find the right one. Even with the selection I bought from Eckler's I ran out and had to buy more.
Cavu2u (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 08:32 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ronarndt
I have lost track of how many times I have spent standing in the fastener section comparing the one size I need to the variety of sizes available to find the right one. Even with the selection I bought from Eckler's I ran out and had to buy more.
Can't always count on getting the right hardware from vendors either.
I swore I removed the exhausr bezel's tinnerman nuts from my '73 exhaust panel that looked like this.

Instead, I got these.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:57 PM
garyguinn
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

FWIW: The Parts and Illustrations Catalogue lists quite a lot of fastener sizes. You can find these in paper or on CD.
100% agree. I write them down on the appropriate aim page so I don’t have to look it up next time.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:52 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Very little hardware is actually listed in the "Corvette Parts and Illustration Catalog". All hardware was found in GM Parts Group 8.900, and Group 8.900 is not included in the Corvette Parts book, but instead is only found in the GM "Standard Parts Catalog".

The Standard Parts Catalog is a great resorce. Every nut, bolt, screw, washer, J-clip, cotter pin, etc used by GM, are listed in the Standard Parst Catalog. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find a part in it, if all you have is the part number, or it's usage. Since it was intended for use by a dealer's service department, and the dealer's mechanic would already have the piece of hardware that needed to be replaced, all hardware is listed by the type of hardware it was. If you needed a black phosphate, hex head, captive washer bolt, with a pointed end, you went to the section for that type of bolt, and then went down the list of sizes until you found the size you needed, and the part number would be next to the size. It's virtually impossible to find a part by it's part number in the Standard Parts Catalog, unless you know the exact description of the hardware you're looking for.

I have some Standard Parts Catalogs, and refer to them often, but their not the easiest thing to use, if you're not real familiar with GM hardware already.

The Paragon hardware chart is about the best simple chart available to the restorer. It is included in the back of all of their catalogs, and they use to have them as a large, poster size wall chart too. They use to give them out at swap meets and in their showroom, but I don't know if they still do. I have one on the wall at the store and another in my home garage, and use them regularly.

You might want to call Paragon and see if they still have the wall charts. And if they're all gone, they might be persuaded to print more of them, if enough people call looking for them.
The following 3 users liked this post by gbvette62:
Blue73Shark (09-12-2018), CA-Legal-Vette (09-12-2018), Cavu2u (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Very little hardware is actually listed in the "Corvette Parts and Illustration Catalog". All hardware was found in GM Parts Group 8.900, and Group 8.900 is not included in the Corvette Parts book, but instead is only found in the GM "Standard Parts Catalog".

The Standard Parts Catalog is a great resorce. Every nut, bolt, screw, washer, J-clip, cotter pin, etc used by GM, are listed in the Standard Parst Catalog. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find a part in it, if all you have is the part number, or it's usage. Since it was intended for use by a dealer's service department, and the dealer's mechanic would already have the piece of hardware that needed to be replaced, all hardware is listed by the type of hardware it was. If you needed a black phosphate, hex head, captive washer bolt, with a pointed end, you went to the section for that type of bolt, and then went down the list of sizes until you found the size you needed, and the part number would be next to the size. It's virtually impossible to find a part by it's part number in the Standard Parts Catalog, unless you know the exact description of the hardware you're looking for.

I have some Standard Parts Catalogs, and refer to them often, but their not the easiest thing to use, if you're not real familiar with GM hardware already.

The Paragon hardware chart is about the best simple chart available to the restorer. It is included in the back of all of their catalogs, and they use to have them as a large, poster size wall chart too. They use to give them out at swap meets and in their showroom, but I don't know if they still do. I have one on the wall at the store and another in my home garage, and use them regularly.

You might want to call Paragon and see if they still have the wall charts. And if they're all gone, they might be persuaded to print more of them, if enough people call looking for them.
Thanks very much for that info. I'm sure others here will benefit from it also.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Screw size list?

Quick Reply: Screw size list?