oil....

Old 09-20-2018, 08:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Richard Cooper
The API rating is GF-5,SN
hope you don't like your cam. reading is fundamental that is not the API rating your engine and cam require
Old 09-20-2018, 08:19 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by LenWoodruff
My engine builder on my 78 L82 says to use Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 racing oil which I just changed to after having the Driven Breakin Oil in it for 1000 miles. I think it has even more ZDDP that the Rotella oils.

Also before the rebuild I used the Castrol 10w40 EXtra Mileage oil for many years. But this was with all original parts (cam etc) that had been well broken in with oils that had ZDDP in them.
Some of the Valvoline Racing oils still have a reasonable amount of ZDDP in them, but a lot of the "VR-1" "racing" oils are now lower zinc. I like to see 1200ppm Zinc in my oil analysis after the oil has been in use for 3,000 miles. I think even the "not for use on public roads" or "off road use only" Valvoline racing oils are 1200ppm out of the bottle, and are marginal for flat tappet cams.
Originally Posted by Richard Cooper
Thanks everyone. I went to Advance and got a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 10W-30, full synthetic. It was on sale and not much more then the conventional oil.
That's a poor choice for a flat tappet cam. From the link posted above to Mobil 1 data sheets, all of the 10W30 oils have 900ppm of zinc and are IMO inadequate for flat tappets. I've replaced a lot of camshafts with one or more lobes wiped flat in the past few years, and all of them were in engines that the owners changed the oil at the proper service interval.

From that Mobile 1 data sheet, the only oil from Mobil 1 that I'd even consider (in a pinch) for an engine with flat tappets would be the 15W50 and the Turbo Diesel Truck formula 5W40. Both of those are 1300ppm zinc, and if that was the only thing available, I'd consider it for a single oil change.

I mentioned that I use PennGrade 1 in my older engines with flat tappets (including Mercedes Benz and Audi engines from the 1980s). I actually had to replace camshafts on one of my MB V8 engines (M117) because I didn't notice that Valvoline Racing VR1 oils I was getting from the local sources were lower zinc than they used to be. I wiped two lobes off of one cam and one lobe on the other bank. That engine had oil changes ever 2500 to 3000 miles using VR1 "Racing" oil that said "high zinc" on the bottle.

Unless your adding an additive with ZDDP (ZDP), you need an oil with 1500ppm or more of zinc for flat tappets. Send a sample of your old oil in when you change it for a lab report. If it comes back under 1200ppm when you change it, you're running a risk of camshaft damage. That's not just my opinion, it's my actual experience.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

C6 Racer X I gave him the short correct info to buy as I gave him the API ratting he needed. I am not sure how that is hard to understand.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:04 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,248 Likes on 837 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Mobil one 15w 50. Has the most zinc/ phosphate and you can get 5 gallon jugs at walmart for less than $25. They list it as high performance oil for flat tappet

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf

Just checked the link when I got home. There are a couple with 1850 ppm zinc! One is v twin so I'm assuming HD. Thanks again!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 AM
shaark92
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 73 Posts

I just bought a case of Amsoil 20w-50 ZROD for my original '71 ... 350. As you mentioned, MUCH more summer weather driving ... besides, here in Central Texas ... even winter time doesn't often get below 20 degrees to make the heavier oil's flow characteristics a significant issue. If it's that cold, I'm in the truck anyway.

It'll go in the engine today.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I added a bottle of Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc, 11oz.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Too much of zink is just as bad as too little.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:05 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
C6 Racer X I gave him the short correct info to buy as I gave him the API ratting he needed. I am not sure how that is hard to understand.
The truth is, for older engines, especially with flat tappets and "slider cams", you really want an oil that's API SJ and you want to avoid the newer specs. Ever since SJ, the maximum zinc level has been reduced, and SN specifies a maximum that's a third less than it was in SJ.
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Too much of zink is just as bad as too little.
Not for a C3 Corvette engine. Not for any engine with flat tappets, actually.

It's not the zinc that is the problem, it's the phosphorous. That's the "P" in ZDP (or ZDDP if you prefer). Posphorous/phosphates are bad for catalytic converters. The cats in the C3's are huge by today's standards and can handle the ZDP levels (1200ppm to 1500ppm) that were common in motor oils available when these cars were new. Newer catalysts, even replacement cats for older cars, have much smaller catalyst sections. The catalyst is more efficient today than it was when these cars were new, but the smaller size means that phosphate damage occurs much quicker from lower levels of phosphorous in the exhaust stream. Newer cats fail fairly quickly if the engine is burning oil.

In an engine with flat tappets, the ZDP is a wear reducing additive. Without enough ZDP, the camshaft will wear excessively, and eventually it will fail, with one or more of the lobes wiped nearly flat. Over the past ten years or so, I've seen dozens of destroyed camshafts on cars that had regular oil changes. I've even wiped a couple of cams out myself because I wasn't paying attention to the spec sheets for the motor oils I was using. I didn't notice that the ZDP (zinc) levels were falling off a lot in those oils.

If you've upgraded to a roller cam, you can use the newer oils with no worries, but if you're running flat tappets and a "slider camshaft," you need to select your motor oil very carefully. Those flat tappets and cams need more zinc than is allowed in the current API motor oil specifications. You either need an "off road only" racing oil for these engines, or you need to use an additive to get more ZDP into the oil. I like PennGrade 1 (Brad Penn), but there are other racing oils which are also high in ZDP. If I wanted a synthetic oil that was more widely available in stores, I might look at the Mobil 1 15W50 or the Turbodiesel Truck formula 5W40, but I consider those to be marginal at best. The truth is, Amazon is a godsend for people still driving older engines. You don't need a local source for "racing oil" any more, you can order it online and have it at your door in a day or two.

I also run oil analysis tests much more regularly now on my older engines, and I look for 1200ppm zinc on my reports. If I see less than that at the end of the service life of the oil, I worry about camshaft damage. Mercedes Benz (and Audi/VW) camshafts are outrageously expensive new, and the ones in the parts yards now are likely the reason the car was scrapped.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Default ???

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
The truth is, for older engines, especially with flat tappets and "slider cams", you really want an oil that's API SJ and you want to avoid the newer specs. Ever since SJ, the maximum zinc level has been reduced, and SN specifies a maximum that's a third less than it was in SJ.

Not for a C3 Corvette engine. Not for any engine with flat tappets, actually.

It's not the zinc that is the problem, it's the phosphorous. That's the "P" in ZDP (or ZDDP if you prefer). Posphorous/phosphates are bad for catalytic converters. The cats in the C3's are huge by today's standards and can handle the ZDP levels (1200ppm to 1500ppm) that were common in motor oils available when these cars were new. Newer catalysts, even replacement cats for older cars, have much smaller catalyst sections. The catalyst is more efficient today than it was when these cars were new, but the smaller size means that phosphate damage occurs much quicker from lower levels of phosphorous in the exhaust stream. Newer cats fail fairly quickly if the engine is burning oil.

In an engine with flat tappets, the ZDP is a wear reducing additive. Without enough ZDP, the camshaft will wear excessively, and eventually it will fail, with one or more of the lobes wiped nearly flat. Over the past ten years or so, I've seen dozens of destroyed camshafts on cars that had regular oil changes. I've even wiped a couple of cams out myself because I wasn't paying attention to the spec sheets for the motor oils I was using. I didn't notice that the ZDP (zinc) levels were falling off a lot in those oils.

If you've upgraded to a roller cam, you can use the newer oils with no worries, but if you're running flat tappets and a "slider camshaft," you need to select your motor oil very carefully. Those flat tappets and cams need more zinc than is allowed in the current API motor oil specifications. You either need an "off road only" racing oil for these engines, or you need to use an additive to get more ZDP into the oil. I like PennGrade 1 (Brad Penn), but there are other racing oils which are also high in ZDP. If I wanted a synthetic oil that was more widely available in stores, I might look at the Mobil 1 15W50 or the Turbodiesel Truck formula 5W40, but I consider those to be marginal at best. The truth is, Amazon is a godsend for people still driving older engines. You don't need a local source for "racing oil" any more, you can order it online and have it at your door in a day or two.

I also run oil analysis tests much more regularly now on my older engines, and I look for 1200ppm zinc on my reports. If I see less than that at the end of the service life of the oil, I worry about camshaft damage. Mercedes Benz (and Audi/VW) camshafts are outrageously expensive new, and the ones in the parts yards now are likely the reason the car was scrapped.
If your looking for 1200ppm at end of oil cycle what are you looking for to start out with? Thx
Old 09-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, Ok, since I did not put in the synthetic oil yet, I brought it back and got 5 quarts of Pennzoil 10W-30 conventional oil like I have been using for the past 21 years! Put it in and added the zinc, done! Thanks everyone.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vette5311

If your looking for 1200ppm at end of oil cycle what are you looking for to start out with? Thx
The Penngrade one oils start at 1500ppm or higher. That's what I'm using lately (after wiping out both cams on a MB M117 5.6L OHC engine using Valvoline VR-1 "high zinc" and not noticing they droppped the zinc levels in it significantly).

I'll add a zinc additive after replacing camshaft(s) or other major components for the "break in" period. And if for some reason I have to use oil with less zinc, I'll supplement with an additive.

I've put over 70K miles on the new cams in that MB using PennGrade One (Brad Penn) and it's still running great.
The following users liked this post:
Vette5311 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

The Penngrade one oils start at 1500ppm or higher. That's what I'm using lately (after wiping out both cams on a MB M117 5.6L OHC engine using Valvoline VR-1 "high zinc" and not noticing they droppped the zinc levels in it significantly).

I'll add a zinc additive after replacing camshaft(s) or other major components for the "break in" period. And if for some reason I have to use oil with less zinc, I'll supplement with an additive.

I've put over 70K miles on the new cams in that MB using PennGrade One (Brad Penn) and it's still running great.
IM running the Valvoline VR-1 "high zinc" SAE 30 it says exceeds API service SL are you saying the zinc levels are not enough now in that. I should add the additive. Just want to make sure I'm reading this right. I use to run regular oil with the zinc additive but for the last
2 years I went to VR1 because it was all in one. did I make a mistake.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:04 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FINWOLF
IM running the Valvoline VR-1 "high zinc" SAE 30 it says exceeds API service SL are you saying the zinc levels are not enough now in that. I should add the additive. Just want to make sure I'm reading this right. I use to run regular oil with the zinc additive but for the last
2 years I went to VR1 because it was all in one. did I make a mistake.
I can only relate my own experiences. On our 560SEL, and on one other 560SEC that I take care of, we've had camshaft failures using the VR-1 racing oil. A few years ago (2012 or so?), Valvoline started using synthetic base oils in the VR-1 20W50, and went from API SJ to SL. I think that's when the Zinc levels dropped. The bottle still says "High Zinc" but it's not as high as it used to be, and it's apparently not high enough for slider cams. Our cams failed in 2014.

I used to have a few extra camshaft sets for M117's because it's a common failure with those engines with the "wrong" oil is used (not enough ZDP). At one point I had 6 sets of loose cams, plus a couple of sets of spare heads. I'm completely out of spares now, and when I see one in the parts yards, I pull the covers and I almost always find damaged cams these days.

At least with Chevy engines, a replacement camshaft and lifters isn't outrageously expensive. And you have the option to upgrade to roller lifters and dozens of choices for "performance" camshafts. A pair of aftermarket (stock grind) cams for the MB is over $500, and genuine MB original parts list for over $1,000, just for the bump sticks. Add in everything else that gets damaged from the extra metal floating around inside the engine and it's usually a "total loss" for the vehicle in the MB.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,132 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I'll bite. What additive would you use? Cam-Shield? Something else?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I'll bite. What additive would you use? Cam-Shield? Something else?
I've used the Redline "Engine Break-In Additive" before without any issues. I'm not familiar with Cam-Shield. There are other additives which provide supplemental ZDDP. Some are marketed as "break in" additives. Others are marketed for "hot rods," "classics" and "high performance engines."

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f...RO_INFO(1).pdf

BTW, Redline Racing Oils also are very high in zinc. All of the Redline Racing oils are over 2000 PPM if I remember correctly. Those oils are expensive, though. Even more expensive than the PennGrade One oils.

EDIT. Always get an additive, or an oil with a real data sheet/specification sheet available online. Know what you're putting in your crankcase. I also like to look at Safety Data Sheets (SDS, formerly known as MSDS) to see what's in the bottle/can.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 09-21-2018 at 12:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Default All good information........

I called Valvoline since I still have a case of VR1 20 50 racing oil to use. Tech support says this oil is emissions / EPA exempt and has 1400 ppm of zinc. Just for your information. 👌
Old 09-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,132 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I've used the Redline "Engine Break-In Additive" before without any issues. I'm not familiar with Cam-Shield. There are other additives which provide supplemental ZDDP. Some are marketed as "break in" additives. Others are marketed for "hot rods," "classics" and "high performance engines."

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f...RO_INFO(1).pdf

BTW, Redline Racing Oils also are very high in zinc. All of the Redline Racing oils are over 2000 PPM if I remember correctly. Those oils are expensive, though. Even more expensive than the PennGrade One oils.

EDIT. Always get an additive, or an oil with a real data sheet/specification sheet available online. Know what you're putting in your crankcase. I also like to look at Safety Data Sheets (SDS, formerly known as MSDS) to see what's in the bottle/can.
Thanks! I use Redline in my diffs and MT. I'll give that a try. I strongly agree that having the contents spelled out is critical. The 2oz bottles of ZDDP on Amazon do not do this, and cost $25- for one treatment of who knows what.

Get notified of new replies

To oil....

Old 09-21-2018, 02:37 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5311
I called Valvoline since I still have a case of VR1 20 50 racing oil to use. Tech support says this oil is emissions / EPA exempt and has 1400 ppm of zinc. Just for your information. 👌
do you think that is the same with all the VR1 even the SAE 30
Old 09-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Default Well...............

I wouldn't want to guess since I have lost 2 engines to flat cams and lots of metal in the oil. I recommend calling them and ask.
1800team Val. Let me know what they say.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:38 PM
Kerz
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

​​​​​Wow, I’m reading the responses to this thread with interest. I’ll say it’s not unlike many other forums, in that the responses can be emotional based. A comfort zone if you will, regarding a personal preference. And I understand that.
There are some very wise comments in the mix though.
Used oil analyses can be a great tool if understood and used correctly. I’ve looked at 1000s during my years at Valvoline.
If you are interested in an independent expert on used oil analysis I recommend Terry Dyson

http://www.dysonanalysis.com/about-us

Vic

Last edited by Kerz; 09-21-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil....