Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:53 PM
Hdavis
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Flat tire

does anyone have suggestions on what to do if I get a flat
sounds like a stupid question but there’s no spare and I have large tires
are the fix a flat aerosols any good for a temp fix?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

AAA+, ask for a flatbed. I've also repaired (plug) and refilled tires, so you could carry the equipment to do that. I haven't tried fix-a-flat.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

I have 20 inch rims on the back of my 68 convert, so I have a similar problem. I got a used 7 x 15 inch stock size rim on ebay and put a new inexpensive tire on it for a spare, just in case. The car will look funny and handle poorly, but I will at least be able to drive it home. I also tried to find one of those space saver skinny tires, but could not find one with the correct bolt circle.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:35 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Best to have a spare with same OD as your rear tires as the limited slip differential clutches can be damaged by operating with two different tire diameters.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:53 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Buy a 15" AZ rally wheel. Mount a tire on it. Put it in the spare carrier.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Visa or MasterCard always fixes what needs fixin.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:06 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Carry a cell phone and have collector car insurance that provides flat-bed towing. And this isn't a S-A reply. This is what you do.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I also would recommend getting a spare. Just because you have collector car insurance don't expect your problems are solved. Lets say you are 75 miles from home and have a flat tire. Your collector agent is going to be hard pressed to find a flat bed to bring you home.

My brother waited over 2 hours at 10am one day when the clutch pedal broke on his 71 Chevelle, 502. He had Haggerty. Apparently they contract out to local towing companies just like AAA. But their network is not as big. In this case they didn’t have anyone nearby on their list, so he waited while they searched other nearby cities and towns for someone that could help.
So it really comes down to where you break down and where the nearest listed tow company is . One tow company owner said they don't contract with collector insurance. For him it took too long to get paid.

At least with a spare if you are in a place where it is unsafe or you are not capable, a small truck can be sent out to do the change and you are safe. Or change it yourself.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:56 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Tow rider on the insurance....call a rollback.....
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Carry a cell phone and have collector car insurance that provides flat-bed towing. And this isn't a S-A reply. This is what you do.
That's what I do. For all my cars. Even though I have spares for my other cars. For an easy fix, such as maybe running over a nail, I've found that Fix-a-Flat works well.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:19 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
AAA+, ask for a flatbed. I've also repaired (plug) and refilled tires, so you could carry the equipment to do that. I haven't tried fix-a-flat.
This is the best answer. If the plug doesn't work call AAA.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 11:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

When you call and a flat-bed tow arrives, you have them take you to the nearest place where you can get the tire repaired or replaced. Then you drive home....
Old 10-18-2018, 12:41 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I plan to purchase a lightweight 17" narrow aluminum wheel with 4" backspace, mount a 27" diameter narrow tire and put it in the tire carrier.
I'll have reduced weight, the spare will fit all four corners, will have equal height for the posi rear end and I wont be stranded.
Where I live and drive I have limited cell service, so I could easily find myself in a canyon with no cell service, a flat tire and no way to call a tow.
Don't forget a jack and lug wrench.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:16 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I see many views on this question with no right one size fits all answer.

Im 54 owned many vettes and other cars and had one flat out driving since i was 16, i dont carry a spare, i have carried fix a flat but never used it,
In the 80s i daily drove an 81 to 100k miles never once dropped the spare.

Ive had cars towed for countless other reasons,
So i dont carry a spare alternator, spare carb, spare radiator, spare control arm, etc ( other things that left me stranded )

I bought my wife a kia soul like other newer cars it has no spare, just slime type sealer and an air pump, boy do people on the kia forum bitch about it.

I never liked the to me eye sore spare carrier on c3s, i like seeing the cool looking well detailed rear irs, its one thing that made me notice vettes in the first place,
I do respect its a purist must have, as are stock skinny bias ply tires.

I have zero issue calling a flat bed, insurance pays for it, my longest wait was when the 69 busted a rear trailing arm rod, the wait was about 1 hour, we waited in a taveren,
Longest haul over 100 miles, it wasnt a vette but the xterra, extra tow fees 25.00, plus driver tip, im good with that,

So for me i will just call the flatbed, which i would also do on the kia

Old 10-19-2018, 07:13 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Carry the fixaflat and plugs. Usually works. If it doesn't, then use the phone. At worst, you wasted 5 bucks on the fixaflat. If front and rear tires are close diameter, you can carry a smaller tire and put it on the front. PITA, but every option in this thread is...except for waiting in a pub.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:38 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Well I have had a lot of flat tires in my life. Alot of bad roads and especially in my younger days, bad tires. I am almost 60 and I don't think I have changed out too many tires due to wear. I carry a spare, I think the rear of a Vette looks naked without the carrier.

Now in saying that it took me a while to clean up the jack and wrench and to get a date correct one is quite expensive, so maybe I would call a tow truck and ask to use their tools to not dirty mine!!!! Ike

Last edited by general ike; 10-19-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Ike, i respect your felling on the carrier and heard it before,
Sorry, I still see it as an ugly afterthought must by gm,
First time i saw half axles spinning at 15 i was sold,
To this day i find it cool like hooker side pipes and bbs,
But i do understand its a must have for some and your comment about your jack and handle got me thinking,
If my Frankenstein 69 did get a flat no big deal i get it towed but im good with slapping a floor jack under there,
But not so fast with a pristine purist car, just removing the spare, jacking the car might cause it to loose cool points with ncrs so that would be an entirely different boat,
Even getting it towed could do damage from the hooks and tie downs...hum.

Get notified of new replies

To Flat tire

Old 10-20-2018, 04:28 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

The truth is, Bats I would probably just tow it with a flatbed even though I in theory have what I need to change out the tire. I truly don't travel that far, at least I have not, so I would simply take it home on a flatbed and fix it there.

My car is in no way NCRS but I have worked quite hard cleaning her up so I would like to keep her as pristine as possible. My comment about the jack and handle were somewhat "tongue and check".
I like, this car at least, to be as correct as I can get it. Agreed not he nicest look for a spare but what else could GM do for a spare with early 70s technology.

Here what my cover looked like when I first got it and my repair.

OUCH

OUCH!!!

INSPECTION BY MY EXPERT

NOT BAD!!!

So here you go not exactly the same view:

WITH

WITHOUT

You do cover some cool looking metal back there, but the cover also gives the rear a slick blacked out look . HMMMM Half the year with it on and the other without?????? Ike .

Last edited by general ike; 10-20-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:44 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by general ike
The truth is, Bats I would probably just tow it with a flatbed even though I in theory have what I need to change out the tire. I truly don't travel that far, at least I have not, so I would simply take it home on a flatbed and fix it there.

My car is in no way NCRS but I have worked quite hard cleaning her up so I would like to keep her as pristine as possible. My comment about the jack and handle were somewhat "tongue and check".
I like, this car at least, to be as correct as I can get it. Agreed not he nicest look for a spare but what else could GM do for a spare with early 70s technology.

Here what my cover looked like when I first got it and my repair.

OUCH

OUCH!!!

INSPECTION BY MY EXPERT

NOT BAD!!!

So here you go not exactly the same view:

WITH

WITHOUT

You do cover some cool looking metal back there, but the cover also gives the rear a slick blacked out look . HMMMM Half the year with it on and the other without?????? Ike .
The dog rocks, i love animals,

I didnt really take your jack comment serious or not but it got my mind engaged,

There are some guys on this thread who go as far as not driving their c3 and keeping it more a museum piece.

In my case lets say i buy a pristine restored ncrs dream of a 69 427 4 speed convertible, a very expensive and in this example perfect car in my world, i really would be nervious about a flat or a tow, i see cars at that level almost like art i shouldnt molest,
Lucky im not in that ballpark or even close .
But i dont think its wrong some guys wouldnt wanna mess up a nice original 45 plus yo part.

In your case your car does look better with the nice detailed carrier in place, i hope dog agrees, .

I forgot to mention i only like the carrier removed on side exhaust cars and only if the rear is well detailed,

Old 10-20-2018, 10:21 PM
Mark Otnes
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

I had AAA tow Rokke about 10 miles to the garage. They didn't use a flatbed. All the tires were fine, it was leaking gasoline. Anyway, no problems. He drove slowly and VERY respectfully. If I had a flat, I'd call AAA again, no hesitation.

Quick Reply: Flat tire