Sponsored by:

Ragtop to Hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 10:10 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by jgilevettes
I appreciate that info... This LS5 does not see above about 70 mph... I have the the C7 built to 700 at the wheel for those moments.... Given that, it has not seen above about 80 in recent memory.. Makes me wonder why the heck I spent so much on engine mods
I was young and rather stupid, so many things on that not up to par could have failed,
I dont believe ive been over about 90mph since the 80s,

Spent a lot on engine mods? It was your $$$ you earned it you spend it your way is how i see it.
i believe all that is like why i want a mid level bb in my 69,
I sure dont need it and wont use it, the car will be flared but likely never seen a track, but its what i want...
Old 11-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

When I'm cruising to the beach on 495 or 95, I try to stay with traffic which is routinely 75 to 80 mph. If its really hot out I stay about 75mph, then the mini vans and priuses start passing me, its rather embarrassing......
Old 11-11-2018, 10:19 AM
jgilevettes
Burning Brakes

Received 795 Likes on 387 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
because you can
Fun to know its there and have it when a Euro type gets next to me and starts being a goofball and thinks he is messing with a straight Stingray.... .... Collection of those in the rear view mirror
Old 11-11-2018, 10:20 AM
jgilevettes
Burning Brakes

When I'm cruising to the beach on 495 or 95, I try to stay with traffic which is routinely 75 to 80 mph. If its really hot out I stay about 75mph, then the mini vans and priuses start passing me, its rather embarrassing......
That is me 99.9% of the time.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:36 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

The Hard Top is my favorite C3 look. I put mine on every winter as I don't let a little cold weather keep me from driving my car. Mine is body color.

The rear attachments use the same holes as the convertible top. Some use the convertible top studs but I use the original studs that have a bracket then a bolt to hold them against the convertible top anchor point. The side bolts as mentioned you really don't need them but it keeps it from rattling. Also the center stud was added in later years because of the gap mentioned above. I use mine but my deck is drilled for it. I use a small wing nut on it and tighten it just enough to compress the weather stripping.

Here are the attachment points. Ignore the headliner call out. You can see the bracket I'm talking about where the soft top studs attach. Those are not the original bolts and are really too long so when I do have the HT on I put some foam under them so the soft top will not get damaged. Last winter I took the soft top completely out but I don't think I'll do that this year as it's a pain to store. Also pictured are the side bolts. My guess is if the car was not optioned with the HT from the factory the side bolt holes in the deck lid are not there.

Last edited by theandies; 11-12-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:57 AM
jgilevettes
Burning Brakes

I've had a 74 top, mys 68 top that I am puttiing a new vinyl top on and a 71 that I just picked up. The 74 and 71 have the rear center bolt and the 71 has a bit of a gap. The glass adjustment is all in the AIM. I used a sharpie to label the window adjustment bolts before I started adjusting the glass.It made it a lot easier. Then I adjusted the BUBBA convertible top and it fit and looked better, but bubba stull put it on crooked and wrinkled.

I use a moving blanket to position the top on the car because I use the soft top rear guide pins. I have made a ceiling hoist to make it a 1 man job now as well. The first 2 tops had the side anchors which I always used but my latest top had the side brackets removed. THe top stayed put but it rattled all over the place. Keen parts found me a set of used brackets and I will install them this winter.

The noise reduction and the heat retention for the ride home on cold fall nights after the car shows makes a big difference

74 top with red interior

the 71 top

That white top on the blue looks great !!! Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 AM
jgilevettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theandies
The Hard Top is my favorite C3 look. I put mine on every winter as I don't let a little cold weather keep me from driving my car. Mine is body color.

The rear attachments use the same holes as the convertible top. Some use the convertible top studs but I use the original studs that have a bracket then a bolt to hold them against the convertible top anchor point. The side bolts as mentioned you really don't need them but it keeps it from rattling. Also the center stud was added in later years because of the gap mentioned above. I use mine but my deck is drilled for it. I use a small wing nut on it and tighten it just enough to compress the weather stripping.

Here are the attachment points. Ignore the headliner call out. You can see the bracket I'm talking about where the soft top studs attach. Those are not the original bolts and are really too long so when I do have the HT on I put some foam under them so the soft top will not get damaged. Last winter I took the soft top completely out but I don't think I'll do that this year as it's a pain to store. Also pictured are the side bolts. My guess is if the car was not optioned with the HT from the factory the side bolt holes in the deck lid are not there.

Great info, thanks! No my search for a quality hardtop begins!
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 AM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jgilevettes
That white top on the blue looks great !!! Thanks
Especially with the rims and redlines
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (11-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Ragtop to Hardtop