Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Valet or Not . . . discuss

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

The valet can park my wife. I'll park the car.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:21 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't let valets touch any of my cars even my junkers.

1. You can always smell them when you get back in your car. They do stand out side the restaurant with no climate control so makes since.

2. Can they operate a manual well?

3. Would they know what to do if the carborater flooded on restart?

4. With out the walk to and from the car where would i get my exercise to work off the food?

5. I hate the having other people do stuff that I am capable of doing. Just doesn't feel right.

As for them finding the firearm just lock the glove box so they can't open it.
The following users liked this post:
rickimvette (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:07 PM
jeffwebley
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Flyingbunnies, locking the glovebox is a great idea, except for one small detail.....wait for it....the key for the door is the same for the glovebox...DOH
i , myself have been trying to figure out a convenient, easily accessible place to put a secure storage box, because the factory storage areas are easily broken into.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:33 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffwebley
Flyingbunnies, locking the glovebox is a great idea, except for one small detail.....wait for it....the key for the door is the same for the glovebox...DOH
i , myself have been trying to figure out a convenient, easily accessible place to put a secure storage box, because the factory storage areas are easily broken into.
"Valet keys" nearly never open the trunk nor the glove box or interior storage area(s).

If your model didn't come with a valet key, a decent locksmith can usually make a valet key for you. An alternate key that can be inserted into the locks (but won't turn, obviously) is also needed. Whether the locksmith has one, or whether it's up to you to bring one depends on the locksmith.

They will need access to your both keys and the specific lock cylinders you want the valet key to operate. Those lock cylinders can be reset to work with the two different keys (the current key and also the valet key).

Putting a locking container/compartment in a vehicle is often thought to be a good idea. You can put pressed in or welded in studs (weld in some carriage bolts and use those as studs) somewhere in the vehicle. Get a "fire safe" storage box appropriate for what you want to store. Drill holes to match the studs (obviously the studs need to be long enough to reach inside the box) and just tighten nuts on the studs inside the box (when it's open, obviously).

One thing to be very careful about. Putting a "hidden compartment" in your vehicle can be illegal. As part of the War On (some) Drugs (not manufactured by Pfizer and prescribed by doctors), there are laws against hidden compartments. If you're going to put a "safe" in your car, it's best to have it in a visible location, not "hidden."

As always, IANAL, and this isn't legal advice. For actual legal advice, consult an actual lawyer.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 PM
jeffwebley
Racer

Didn't know c3's came with valet keys.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:47 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffwebley
Didn't know c3's came with valet keys.
They didn't. That doesn't mean a locksmith can't make one.

The "valet key" is the solution to valets searching your car and/or stealing your stuff without your permission. Before the manufacturers offered them, some folks would get a locksmith to rekey some of the locks. The "valet key" concept is, you rekey the ignition and the driver's door lock cylinders to accept two different keys, the original key and a new "valet key." All of the locks are left to work as normal with the original key. The second key only operates the locks you set to work with both keys. Modern electronically controlled cars that offer this from the factory can also implement "valet mode" features from the valet key, like limiting top speed, power, and even setting up a GPS "fence" or a driving distance limit for the valet key before the real owner's key is used. Obviously, those features would be difficult and expensive to implement on an older car like a C3.

And for a C3, if it was a "driver" car, I'd certainly use valet parking if it was available and convenient. Tonio gives the reason, let someone who isn't in the hobby have the experience of driving a classic. I used valet parking with the "driver" Mercedes Benz cars we've owned. Currently, we use valet parking a few times a month. One of my wife's doctors that she sees regularly has valet parking at his building.

I'll also say that the folks saying it's not usually young kids doing the valet work are correct. And it is a plush job overall.

After the dealership I worked at closed back in 2008, for a couple years, I was living in Florida. I had a "mobile maintenance" business doing oil changes, tire rotations, brake jobs, etc. from a modified car hauler trailer and a SUV full of tools. Me and a "mobile detailing" guy did free valet parking at a movie theater over the winter (with the permission of the owners of the theater). For daytime shows, he offered his detailing services on the spot, and if I saw an expired oil change sticker, I'd offer maintenance services as well (although the owners of the property were concerned about oil droppings and issues with doing maintenance on-site, so I had to load the maintenance jobs on the trailer and take them to my house about a mile away). Evenings, I'd sell some light bulbs, and rainy times, I'd sell a ton of wiper blades. But the tips were always good. It was a really good cash business.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 12-09-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:25 PM
jeffwebley
Racer

My Eldorado has a valet button in the glovebox. Have never used it, but with remote keyless entry, the only key needed for a valet is the ignition key.
I want to turn that into my go-fast switch when I get it back together.
Cadillac programmed the engine ecu to turn off power to the fuel pump at 105, I want to wire in a relay to provide power to the fuel pump, and use the valet switch in the glovebox to control it. Valet "on" go fast, valet "off" stock geezer speed.
The fuel maps and ignition curves are still active, just shuts off the fuel pump.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:16 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I forgot the same key for the door is used for the glove box as well but depending on the model year the ignition key I thought was different? I might be wrong... That might be the C4 I am thinking.

If the ignition key is different I guess you could only hand them the ignition key and not the door key but then they can't lock the doors and hot wiring a car from the 70's isn't likely a difficult task. Or they can't unlock the doors if they use the interior lock switch.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 12-09-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:52 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ying/16336573/

Quick Reply: To Valet or Not . . . discuss