Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front clip bonding strip Question??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 AM
Vette69roadster
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Front clip bonding strip Question??

So I have been looking at the front clip on my 69. I am able to recognize that there has been some repairs done in the past. what I am trying to figure out is weather The entire front clip has been replaced with a one piece unit or not. I think I need to look for the bonding strips right? Would I be able to see the bonding strips inside the wheel wells? Maybe someone could post up a pic of what to look for here. I can't seem to find any pics of bonding strips inside the fender wells out there. Thanks in advance for any help on this guys..
Old 01-10-2019, 02:54 AM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm not sure about what you will see at the fender wells, but surely you would be able to see inside the cowl area and door jam section for a newer or different looking bonding agent if the entire clip was replaced.

What are you seeing that leads you to recognize same previous damage? I am to understand that common damage/repair of the nose from bumping into things when parking. lol

Edit: Also, I would look inside the front nose. Look for back filled resin spots. Would be a different color than the grey backside of the SMC

-Stroke

Last edited by Strokemyaxe; 01-10-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Vette69roadster
...Would I be able to see the bonding strips inside the wheel wells?...
Yes, if it's a stock clip.
...I can't seem to find any pics of bonding strips inside the fender wells out there...

The stock strips are visible in the wheel wells.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:07 AM
Vette69roadster
Instructor

Default Bonding strips

Thanks guys for the quick reply. I can tell that the left front inner fender skirt has been replaced. I think its for a little later car than a 69 maybe an early 70's it does not fit into the fender correctly.
There is body color over spray on the backside of the chrome bumper, also from an early 70's car. And now I am seeing no bonding strips. I'm thinking its a solid door to door front end.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Vette69roadster
Instructor

I have seen those diagrams, I'm wondering if someone could post a picture of what the bonding strips actually look like at the top inside of the fender. Here is what I see on my car.

Wheel well above tire

Inner fender skirt behind left front tire and top inside wheel well

Wheel well above tire, shows fender joint. I

Get notified of new replies

To Front clip bonding strip Question??

Quick Reply: Front clip bonding strip Question??