Sponsored by:

Advice for first time classic car buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:06 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dracarnion
If the numbers match the vin, wouldn't that mean the parts are older than if they were replaced and the numbers DID NOT match? I would think you would want new parts since the rest are 40 years old
Matching motor and transmission adds to the value. Those parts aren't usually what you have to worry about in terms of replacing. It's bits like bushings, TAs, etc.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

For what you are going to do with the car, it needs to have specific features:1.) reliability, 2.) easy starting/warm up, 3.) low maintenance, 4.) low risk of theft/damage, 5.) capable of driving in all conditions, 6.) insurability. The C3 is a Chevy product and can be reliable, if operating systems are 'up to snuff' and maintained. A stock C3 engine CAN be easy to start and warm up, but it must have a carb/choke that is at near-stock condition. This is not a difficult issue, but most folks don't know how to DIY a carb [properly] and carb-savvy mechanics are getting fewer by the year. Chevy products are easy to maintain, once they are in good operating state.

Items #4, 5, and 6 are the "negatives" for using a C3 as a shuttle vehicle...especially if it is left outside and accessible by anyone. If you buy a C3 and get collector car insurance on it, driving it daily might be a 'hard sell' to the insurance company. And leaving it unattended during the day and easily accessible to vandalism and/or theft would probably nix collector car insurance coverage altogether. If you go with 'regular' car insurance and pay $10K or more for the car, a regular insurance carrier will only pay you Black Book (average wholesale) money for a total loss damage or accident. So, just about any minor accident would cause them to scrap your car and pay you less than $5K for it.

These are the significant issues as I see them.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-15-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:15 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

If the numbers match the vin, wouldn't that mean the parts are older than if they were replaced and the numbers DID NOT match? I would think you would want new parts since the rest are 40 years old
Originally Posted by M4A3E2
Matching motor and transmission adds to the value. Those parts aren't usually what you have to worry about in terms of replacing. It's bits like bushings, TAs, etc.
Exactly. Replacement parts that you need to replace are not “matching,” they are just “correct” and interchange. The only numbers that match that you should be concerned with are the ones on the block pad on the passenger side head.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:18 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

maybe I missed this question being asked but what are going to do when it snows up in Salem?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:19 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Finally, we haven't mentioned leaks. If the weatherstripping has been replaced on the T-Tops and the doors, you should be OK (possibly). If that hasn't been replaced, count on water getting in the car when it rains. Mine is a 'dry day driver' and is garaged full time and not left outside. One day, I'll do the weatherstripping on the T-Tops (the doors are done), but the new engine build is my priority.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Dracarnion
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
maybe I missed this question being asked but what are going to do when it snows up in Salem?
The garage at the train station is covered but at home it will be in my driveway. I figured I would pick up a cover or a canopy I could keep it under
Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

The garage at the train station is covered but at home it will be in my driveway. I figured I would pick up a cover or a canopy I could keep it under
I'm not sure what others might think, but these cars, generally don't do well sitting outside either... If you had a garage, then you'd be good, but a cover or canopy (IMHO) won't stop the moisture from coming from underneath. Plus, a cover can actually, over a period of time, beat the paint, as the wind and any dust gets underneath. My 3rd ex-wife (I know, I know), had an '87 C4 that she kept outside and the wind and dust put some serious paint wear on the high spots on the car (top of the fenders, edges of the roof, etc).
Old 01-15-2019, 05:25 PM
hdal
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow,nothin' but negative responses! Car looks pretty nice,altho it is not a L-82,big deal. Price is right,buy it and have some fun. You will figure out after driving it whether it's a fun-keeper or not. Make sure the heater works,lol.........Hdal
Old 01-15-2019, 06:57 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Caveat Emptor.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 396 Likes on 300 Posts

Make sure you have AAA. But if you are game for adventure go for it. If you spend more money I would suggest a C5 or C6.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Old 01-15-2019, 09:54 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I think you need an Accord or Impreza. You have no garage? No room for second car. Put this off til you are in a better position to have a spare car.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,921 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Im up in Westford up 495 and rte 3. Mines a summer only car so I dont drive mine in the rain if I dont have too and never in the winter. A car canopy will work, just dont park on dirt or grass, the moisture from the ground promotes rust.

Take her for a test drive. See if you like the fit, there isnt much adjustment. See how she drives, if theres a lot of rattling and the car feels spongy at stops, or turning then you may have to look into things. There are lots of people here that have c3 as daily drivers. I dont think Salem is a high crime area. JUst look for the security cameras and park close to them if your worried about theft. Most cars on the lists today are tuners so you shouldnt have to worry too much. Check the 10 things sticky in the general section, it was still there the other day. The list is in quotes farther down the list but the pics are there and they show where to look for rust. As long as there isnt substantial rust and it doesnt need paint, you can fix the rest easily. Mechanical parts are available still, some electronic switches are suspect though

Welcome aboard. Its fun to have a vette

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 01-16-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Dracarnion
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceg2016
The 5th digit of the vin would be 8 for L-48 would be 4 for L-82. I think this car is a L-48 and if it is price seems high imo. If it is a L-82 you would then want to match numbers on block to make sure it matches vin
Got the VIN. Confirmed it's an L-48 - which shows up on 10 worst vets list. At any rate, I now have concerns about driving it in the winter and cold-starting. My ignorance was bliss!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,341 Posts

The advice I gave on a similar thread is to have a spare car (your true daily driver), and drive the C3 on dry days. You also need a garage. It sounds like you have a large shed right now. Having driven a lot on the North Shore, including a street-parked, daily-driven classic Chevy, it can be done as you describe, but the car will never be better than it is right now until you have a garage, money, and time to park the car to work on it.

Also, the roads in Salem are garbage. Consider Beverly Farms or Manchester if rain is not in the forecast.

All that said, a vinyl bumper C3 with a 4-speed is tremendous fun. For the asking price, the AC had better be cold. The list of 10 worst Corvettes is fake news.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,921 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Cold starting would have been fine if you set the choke properly. If it really bothered you, you can just bolt on an EFI system.

Keep looking, corvettes are a fun car
Old 01-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

The plan would be to park it at a train station in Salem, MA. Not a good idea?
I wouldn't, even though Salem is no Jersey. Buy a beater to park at the train station on work days which you can also drive when you're in ther middle of projects on the Corvette. Sometimes you'll need to wait on parts or raise cash and need wheels to get around in the meantime.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for first time classic car buyer

Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Skeetshooter
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Confirmed it's an L-48 - which shows up on 10 worst vets list. At any rate, I now have concerns about driving it in the winter and cold-starting. My ignorance was bliss!

Ferraris also have a 10 worst, Porsches, Triumphs, Mustangs. You get the point. I'd rather have a 10 worse Corvette than a number one Toyota.
If you like them, you can afford one go for it, (after a test drive).
Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:56 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by hdal
Wow,nothin' but negative responses! Car looks pretty nice,altho it is not a L-82,big deal. Price is right,buy it and have some fun. You will figure out after driving it whether it's a fun-keeper or not. Make sure the heater works,lol.........Hdal
Exactly. 10k is decent for a clean driver C3 plenty of these sat outside. If it drives nice, enjoy.
You can tell who drives their cars and who doesnt.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Exactly. 10k is decent for a clean driver C3 plenty of these sat outside. If it drives nice, enjoy.
You can tell who drives their cars and who doesnt.
I think Salem, Massachusetts may get just a tad more snow than Valencia, California..... Just say'n.

Valencia, CA annual snow

Salem, MA annual snow

Quick Reply: Advice for first time classic car buyer