Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-Joint replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 11:25 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

I overpaid a Chevy dealer $750 to do all of them. Without a lift certain jobs I just don't do.

I thought that was highway robbery.

It's a long story as to why I didn't just go pick up the car and take it over to the pro's, "Phoenix Rack & Axle"

Make an appointment, drive down, and I'll give you the Phoenix nickle tour while they work on it.

Last edited by wadenelson; 03-08-2019 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fastimes (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 11:33 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by jackson
What's Dan's quote turn-key solid dana-spicer x6 + balancing x3 ?

is your car a show car? Do you plan to have it judged per NCRS or AACA standards?
Still waiting on the final Estimate from Dan's. My car is far from NCRS/AACA condition, however I do want things done correctly.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:38 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wadenelson
I overpaid a Chevy dealer $750 to do all of them. Without a lift certain jobs I just don't do.

I thought that was highway robbery.

It's a long story as to why I didn't just go pick up the car and take it over to the pro's, "Phoenix Rack & Axle"

Make an appointment, drive down, and I'll give you the Phoenix nickle tour while they work on it.
Thanks Wadenelson! That is a generous offer. I'm still waiting on another estimate from a local driveline shop, but I'll do a bit of research on Phoenix Rack & Axle.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:18 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

I would think any competent repair shop could do U joints. The main drive shaft is not anything unique to Corvettes. The only thing on the half shafts is to make sure if they use greaseable u-joints they install them so that the fittings will be accessible once the joints are installed.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
I would think any competent repair shop could do U joints. The main drive shaft is not anything unique to Corvettes. The only thing on the half shafts is to make sure if they use greaseable u-joints they install them so that the fittings will be accessible once the joints are installed.
The U-Joints themselves, no, nothing special (though you should use the solid Spicers). The Spicers are a bit tight, so they will need to use the thinnest shims.

Having only done it myself by taking the entire rear apart first and cutting the straps, it may not be the easiest thing to get the half-shafts out of the car and back in. I had to cut the trailing arms out of the car, and cut the strut rods out of the trailing arms. It might be easier with a proper lift and an extra set of hands.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:40 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bikespace
The U-Joints themselves, no, nothing special (though you should use the solid Spicers). The Spicers are a bit tight, so they will need to use the thinnest shims.

Having only done it myself by taking the entire rear apart first and cutting the straps, it may not be the easiest thing to get the half-shafts out of the car and back in. I had to cut the trailing arms out of the car, and cut the strut rods out of the trailing arms. It might be easier with a proper lift and an extra set of hands.
That's my fear with these things! I'm somewhat comfortable doing certain things. When i finally invest in some ramps or a quickjack, I'll venture further into undercarriage maintenance and repair, but the thought of busting off bolt heads and cutting straps to get them out is not something I would want to tackle right now.

I'm going to have Dan's Driveline Shop do some work on my Jeep. I'll get a feel for the work they do and see if I'd trust them with my C3.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 AM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

I just had the driveshaft removed, new Dana u-joints installed, driveshaft balanced, and reinstalled for $200. I’ll do the half shafts myself later this spring. I just think the the driveshaft is a little more of a b-tch to get to.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:51 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by fastimes
That's my fear with these things! I'm somewhat comfortable doing certain things. When i finally invest in some ramps or a quickjack, I'll venture further into undercarriage maintenance and repair, but the thought of busting off bolt heads and cutting straps to get them out is not something I would want to tackle right now.

I'm going to have Dan's Driveline Shop do some work on my Jeep. I'll get a feel for the work they do and see if I'd trust them with my C3.
I get your unease of U-Joint replacement but the only thing that comes into question are the French Locks. Stainless Steel Locks are better than the metal or some people just use a lock washer instead at the hub I believe at times. It's pretty simple really.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...t-replacement/
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...t-replacement/
The following users liked this post:
fastimes (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 03:05 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

It was an easy job on jackstands. I found the french locks sucked and twisted up before I got the TQ spec.
I used Red lock tight like GM is using on new cars instead.

In the rear without a helper I use the parking brake to hold the shaft in place to do a few bolts then turn the wheels to get to the others.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For what it is worth:

The quote you got from that Corvette shop in your area is as you have seen.... well in line and they are not raking you over the coals.

YES..I would also stick with the solid Spicers myself...but do as you wish.

DUB
Old 03-12-2019, 09:52 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
For what it is worth:

The quote you got from that Corvette shop in your area is as you have seen.... well in line and they are not raking you over the coals.

YES..I would also stick with the solid Spicers myself...but do as you wish.

DUB
Thanks Dub. I paid a visit to the shop today and met the owner. I have to say, he put me at ease. The shop is full of C2 and C3 cars, he showed me the projects he's working on, took the time to talk with me about the job and how he does it. Very nice guy that seems to care about his customers. To me, that is worth the few extra dollars he may charge over the competition,
I've decided to stick with the solid Spicers and have him do the work.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:34 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

the french locks are a pain.. extra labor, shops will charge for that.
the outer half shafts u joints are a pain where you need a special tool and skill to not mess that up.
spicer solids are great but cost and the shop will have a markup.
get your drive shaft balanced, and your half shafts blasted and painted.
1000 bucks total for a nice, correct, total job....
Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joewill
the french locks are a pain.. extra labor, shops will charge for that.
the outer half shafts u joints are a pain where you need a special tool and skill to not mess that up.
spicer solids are great but cost and the shop will have a markup.
get your drive shaft balanced, and your half shafts blasted and painted.
1000 bucks total for a nice, correct, total job....
Thanks Joewill!

The shop I spoke to offered, as an additional option, to sandblast and correctly finish the half-shafts. With doing that, it would put me right at a grand.
I do have to confirm that they will balance the driveshaft.
Great estimating on your part!
Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Find a reputable axle and gear shop.I had all three done including balancing $350.Of course thats r n r myself. Taking it to a "Corvette" shop adds hundreds of $$$
Old 03-13-2019, 11:31 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
When you say "not equipped to attempt myself", d'you mean no jack or axle stands? Apart form some usual hand tools that's pretty much all you need to get the shafts off the car. Then take them to a local 'shop (that you guys over there have all over the place!!) and they will do the pressing out and in of new U/Js.

That's how I did ours the first time around, 15 or so years ago. (That cost me not much more than a "drink") More recently, I pressed them out myself - I think I'd let someone else enjoy that task next time!

It ain't rocket surgery. I always do mine myself. Was actually surprised when a friend paid a shop to press his in??? I grew up working on a farm shop and the equipment used tons of u-joints and they got abused....and they were located in all kinds of goofball locations. We were changing u-joints routinely (that means like all the time!). Not sure what you mean by "not equipped" but if you can remove the parts, then you can replace the u-joints.

Last edited by carriljc; 03-13-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply: U-Joint replacement cost