Sponsored by:

power steering control valves

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:23 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Sometimes it's cool to have an all-original car, with all of the faults of a 54 year old design forced to work with modern reproductions and rebuild parts assembled by people who DGAF. But sometimes there's a better way. The Borgeson in my 79, with a fresh power steering pump, doesn't leak. The manual conversion using C3 parts in my 80 doesn't leak. I'm assuming that a fresh rack and pinion unit wouldn't leak, either. And none of these three options are going to do this:

fix it right, fix it once, and never look back.
Sometime after they ceased production of the verts., Gm used thinner material for the frames. Part of the weight reduction/millage thing.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill
is it a corvette only part or do other gm cars have that control valve? might find one elsewhere?
The power steering control valves used on 63-82 Corvettes were also used on 58-64 full size Chevrolet's, and 62-67 Chevy II/Nova's. The Corvette slave cylinders are similar to, but not quite the same as full size and Nova PSSC's. The end with the hose wholes is positioned differently in relation to the mounting stud, on full size slaves, and the Nova ones have one corner of the square end removed for added clearance.

The Corvette power steering system is a 60 year old design, and like the early Powerglides, they've always seemed to leak. While in high school around 70-72, I worked in a gas station and saw plenty of leaking Nova and full size control valves and slave cylinders. I seem to remember that we did a lot more slave cylinders, mainly because the seals were often damaged, or the shafts scored, by dirt or other debris, getting in the seal.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:53 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Sometimes it's cool to have an all-original car, with all of the faults of a 54 year old design forced to work with modern reproductions and rebuild parts assembled by people who DGAF. But sometimes there's a better way. The Borgeson in my 79, with a fresh power steering pump, doesn't leak. The manual conversion using C3 parts in my 80 doesn't leak. I'm assuming that a fresh rack and pinion unit wouldn't leak, either. And none of these three options are going to do this:

Fix it right, fix it once, and never look back.
That part was originally bolted to the frame. Looks to me like someone got too excited with a welder and caused the problem.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:06 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob K
Corvette America list new units (1999) for $226.99.
That is where my "new" valve came from. Normally I expect better quality from them

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
IMO, the seals in the rebuild kits are not the problem. They seal just fine (10 years on mine and NO LEAKS). The problem is installing them without cutting/damaging them and/or correctly installing them. Even builders of "new" stuff [apparently] do not test their parts: WE test their parts. And a significant percentage of them fail.

Poor assembly work probably accounts for the largest percentage of early new & rebuilt control valve problems, as well as for most 'owner' rebuilds. But, I suspect that the owner failure rate is LESS than the rebuilt failure rate.

Or you can throw more than 1000 dollars at it and buy a Borgeson box....which isn't really any "better" than what you have now (except in the case of new build quality). For the HUGE difference in expenditure, I would choose to throw 20 bucks at a rebuild kit for my C/V and "take my chances". I did just that and have been happy with the results for more than a decade.
I agree. I rebuilt a valve and damaged a seal putting it together. Got lazy and installed a new valve which leaked worse than the one i rebuilt. Installing a Borgeson box here would mean lots of extra certification costs and would end up at something like a $2000 job, and that's if you do it yourself.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:39 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi everyone, what's the correct torque on the bolts holding the 2 halves of the C3 power steering control valves? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:46 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,551 Posts

Originally Posted by hgoodwiniii
Hi everyone, what's the correct torque on the bolts holding the 2 halves of the C3 power steering control valves? Thanks.

Valve mointing bolt cannot see torque but with lockwashers 30 pounds?

Or use this?

Last edited by interpon; 03-05-2022 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bmotojoe (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 10:15 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,012 Posts

I went through both the Service Manual and the Unit Repair Manual with no luck for the bolts connecting Valve To Adapter assembly.
The chart interpon posted will work just fine, just make note if the bolts are plain or plated.
I did learn something new though, now I know what the C stamp means...lol

interpon (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 11:02 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. My car is a 76. I have the 74 manual and there is no mention of the halves/torque, at all. I believe the bolts are 1/2". According to the torque tightening chart, I believe 57 - 70 ft lbs. may be reasonable. I'd be a little nervous going any higher; I may post in the performance section to see if I get any other feedback. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:38 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by hgoodwiniii
Thanks. My car is a 76. I have the 74 manual and there is no mention of the halves/torque, at all. I believe the bolts are 1/2". According to the torque tightening chart, I believe 57 - 70 ft lbs. may be reasonable. I'd be a little nervous going any higher; I may post in the performance section to see if I get any other feedback. Thanks.

I don’t think I’d wanna go that high, 35 ftlbs or so sounds familiar to me. Put some blue loctite on the threads if you’re concerned about it coming apart.
hgoodwiniii (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 10:00 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I don’t think I’d wanna go that high, 35 ftlbs or so sounds familiar to me. Put some blue loctite on the threads if you’re concerned about it coming apart.
Yea, even 50 ftlbs sounds a bit high for that little unit; I will take your advice and go around 35ftlbs and locite it. Thanks.
REELAV8R (03-06-2022)

Quick Reply: power steering control valves