Sponsored by:

82 crossfire injection sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Trevor Robinson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 crossfire injection sugestions

Hi there i own a 82 crossfire injection corvette this summer my transmission went out on me so have decided to drop some money in her with a new crate motor from blueprint plan on going carb and mechanical pump but curious if anyone recommends getting my 700r4 rebuilt or just purchase a crate tranmission instead how much work it be to swap them out and the best rebuild price i can find locally is 2400 with no warentee.. Thanks for your time
Old 02-10-2019, 12:43 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Good luck on your project. You need to enjoy your beautiful car. But, consider the high frequency of ‘82’s with non- Crossfire “stroker” engines that often appear to languish for months on selling sites (i.e. eBay and others) despite their otherwise beauty. Certainly, not all of them "languish", but a lot of them do as observed through the years at both, dealer and private seller sites even when the rest of the car appears bone stock.

Last edited by Lakeside49; 02-10-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

Trevor, that was the first year of the 700r4, they are not very strong and I am not sure if you can rebuild them anymore.. You should look for one that was made after 1986.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Trevor Robinson
3rd Gear

I wanna thank everyone for the quick responses theresnothing wrong with my crossfire just keep hearing it would be easier to bypass all that witha dependable carb and will a crate transmission that is not a 700r4 still mount into where my current one is or if theres alot of fab work needed? Thank you all again
Old 02-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I don't know if you've considered swapping over to manual, but a Super T-10 4-speed requires no vacuum connection, and no electrical connection save the backup light switch. They are also crazy fun to drive. There are plenty of 5 and 6 speed options, including "crate" options from Silver State Transmission and others, as detailed on the forum.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

By crate trans not 700r, I hope you are not thinking of th350 or 400. The first time you hit 60 and it is still in essentially 3rd, you will regret it. And your 82 is a fuel injected car. Going to newer efi is less doing than any other C3.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Trevor Robinson
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by derekderek
By crate trans not 700r, I hope you are not thinking of th350 or 400. The first time you hit 60 and it is still in essentially 3rd, you will regret it. And your 82 is a fuel injected car. Going to newer efi is less doing than any other C3.
Yes all my research im tryin to do seems like the 700r is a much better option but findimg someone to rebuild it is becomig difficult.. Thanks for the input
Old 02-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I don't have a dog in this fight, but how about a 4L60e transmission? If I could drop the drivetrain in my truck (4.8L LS motor, 4L60e 4-speed auto) into my wife's 79, she'd be thrilled. You can buy a new crate transmission for $1700-, though a bit of work is required.

http://www.levelsevenmotorsports.com...l-block-chevy/

The extent of my involvement is 30 seconds of Google searching, so I have no idea if this will fit, or if anyone has done it, but you did open this thread with "crate transmission". A manual will be a lot more fun, though...
Old 02-10-2019, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor Robinson
I wanna thank everyone for the quick responses theresnothing wrong with my crossfire just keep hearing it would be easier to bypass all that witha dependable carb and will a crate transmission that is not a 700r4 still mount into where my current one is or if theres alot of fab work needed? Thank you all again
I work on these and know how to get them running right...so when I read how some people hear that getting rid of the Cross-Fire engine and going with a carb...is due to those people who advise getting rid of the Cross-Fire engine have no clue on how to get them to run right.

Now if the owner wants insane horse power ...then obviously buying a Cross-Fire engine is NOT the one to buy.

Now I cannot say for a fact if your transmission can be rebuilt but I can check with my transmission guy tomorrow and see what he says due it he is a 'straight shooter' and will let me know what is up with that. NOT saying that what has been mentioned about this year model/era of transmission not beign able to be rebuilt...I have my doubts. It can be that the costs to rebuild that design is much higher than buying a new one of a much later era

And IF you are not caring about increasing more engine power...then why would you want a transmission that can handle MORE power than your engine can throw at it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 82 crossfire injection sugestions

Quick Reply: 82 crossfire injection sugestions