Sponsored by:

Blasting cabinet recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blasting cabinet recommendations

So, my buddy has a bench top blaster and did some pieces for me last weekend. Now I’m dying to get my own...any recommendations on brand / model and even associated air tanks?

Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:07 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Got mine about ten years ago from TP Tools & Equipment, full cabinet and I love the crap out of it. Can throw just about anything in it, including wheels. Seems I paid around $760 back then and its painted red. Freshened up the entire engine compartment of my 78, brackets, oil pan, etc. Have gone back since to buy replacement parts...nice to know they are still around and with correct replacement parts including bead blast material and all sorts. Walnut shells, bead blast, etc.

https://www.tptools.com/Most-Popular...-Cabinets.html
Old 02-14-2019, 06:43 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,280 Likes on 3,916 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I bought mine at Harbor freight. it came with the nozzle and gloves and didnt cost more than $150 when I got it. THey may be more now but they always have a 20% off coupon in magazines.

buying a decent used 80 gallon air compressor is going to be pricey. I found one on FB market place for $350 and had to clean the crap out of it, but it was worth it.Then all the plumbing and wiring was another $200.

Most are going to be around $500 or more

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 02-14-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:16 AM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts

I'll second the TP tools skat blast cabinets. i've had mine like 7 years. zero issues with it other than the normal wear items.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:48 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I got one locally and it is one of the best $100 spent. Now everything I dismantle and that is sandable I do it and repaint it!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:16 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
I bought mine at Harbor freight. it came with the nozzle and gloves and didnt cost more than $150 when I got it. THey may be more now but they always have a 20% off coupon in magazines.

buying a decent used 80 gallon air compressor is going to be pricey. I found one on FB market place for $350 and had to clean the crap out of it, but it was worth it.Then all the plumbing and wiring was another $200.

Most are going to be around $500 or more
I'll second the comment about 80 gallon or larger compressor. My Harbor Freight blaster is hooked up to a 60 gallon, and it ALMOST keeps up, but not quite. It gets me by for small parts, just have to take breaks to let the compressor cool down.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:30 AM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts

in my shop i have 2 5 hp compressors- 80 and 60 gallons- hooked together. each one puts out about 17 cfm

if i only run 1 at a time, it will run the entire time i blast unless i take a break and let it catch up and stop.

if I turn them both on, they will actually fill back up and shut off while im blasting
Old 02-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Yup. It's all about the CFM. Any cabinet will work well IF you have enough air. That's the REAL cost.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:16 PM
slapjack9
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the floor standing model from HF. I replaced the gun it came with, with one from Lowes and it works way better now. I also built a cyclone to catch the media in the air.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:04 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Got mine about ten years ago from TP Tools & Equipment, full cabinet and I love the crap out of it. Can throw just about anything in it, including wheels. Seems I paid around $760 back then and its painted red. Freshened up the entire engine compartment of my 78, brackets, oil pan, etc. Have gone back since to buy replacement parts...nice to know they are still around and with correct replacement parts including bead blast material and all sorts. Walnut shells, bead blast, etc.

https://www.tptools.com/Most-Popular...-Cabinets.html
Definitely appreciate the input...when you blast parts like the brackets etc, do you have them professionally powder coated or painted...or do you just spray paint them the original color? Yes, basic questions but I'm just getting a sense of the process!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:41 PM
itsforfun
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Agree with all posts. Consider: Blast media can be harmful to the lungs, so consider an outside vented exhaust system!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:02 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Originally Posted by itsforfun
Agree with all posts. Consider: Blast media can be harmful to the lungs, so consider an outside vented exhaust system!
That's a good reminder. I have a woodworking shop that I'm thinking of converting over...it has overhead air cleaning unit, but guessing that's not enough. I was also considering the option of getting a smaller cabinet and strictly doing the blasting outdoors (and of course always using a breathing mask).

Definitely a rabbit trail of cost to do correctly...maybe I should just find a good local source to do the parts for me?

Last edited by mkalman4867; 02-14-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:41 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
I'll second the comment about 80 gallon or larger compressor. My Harbor Freight blaster is hooked up to a 60 gallon, and it ALMOST keeps up, but not quite. It gets me by for small parts, just have to take breaks to let the compressor cool down.
Which HF blaster did you get? I have bought several woodworking power tools from HF and the quality is spotty at BEST! Did some reading about the HF desktop model and it appears that if you replace the light, caulk every seam, and light a candle at church, the cabinet will do a good job. What was your experience please?
Old 02-14-2019, 05:00 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mkalman4867
Which HF blaster did you get? I have bought several woodworking power tools from HF and the quality is spotty at BEST! Did some reading about the HF desktop model and it appears that if you replace the light, caulk every seam, and light a candle at church, the cabinet will do a good job. What was your experience please?
Yep, the light that it comes with sucks, and I did caulk the seams (but opted not to light a candle at church ). Mine is the larger floor model, not the table top one. It has a connection on the side that I connect my shop vac to that helps keep the dust out of the air, and I still usually wear an N95 mask also (I use those for my woodworking dust also), I might investigate the Lowes gun that Slapjack9 mentioned, but the one that comes with it seems to work ok. It lists for $180 on their website, and you're probably aware that you can get 20-25% coupons fairly easily (sign up for their text messages via the website is an easy way to receive them).
Old 02-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I've had mine for 15 years- from Harbor Freight-

https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasi...net-68893.html

Jegs has one that looks the same-

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81500/10002/-1

Yep- replaced the light- easy to do and with a LED there is no heat.

I replaced the gun- after the media blew a hole in it- 7 or so years of use

Built a wet dust reclaimer with a 5 gal tub -some PVC fittings - and a cheap shop vacuum

Running a 60gal 220V 7HP Cambell Hausfeld compressor that I got from Lowes- don't remember the price but it was a display model.

With the Harbor Freight Gun- it would just keep up- however the replacement gun (don't remember where it came from) but it doesn't use as much air and the compressor has no problems.

A set of ear muffs from Harbor Freight is also requirement !!!

...when you blast parts like the brackets etc, do you have them professionally powder coated or painted...or do you just spray paint them the original color? Yes, basic questions but I'm just getting a sense of the process!

As far as finishing the parts?

I sometimes paint them- and will toss the part in the oven for 30 minutes at 210 degrees-paint cures really nice.

I have the Harbor Freight powdercoater- works great IF you use media from Summit or simular quality. The HF powdercoat media sux-

Got a cheap digital toaster oven for less than $100

Here's my hood hardware- "kromezone" powdercoat

Last edited by Richard454; 02-14-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard454
I've had mine for 15 years- from Harbor Freight-

https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasi...net-68893.html

Jegs has one that looks the same-

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81500/10002/-1

Yep- replaced the light- easy to do and with a LED there is no heat.

I replaced the gun- after the media blew a hole in it- 7 or so years of use

Built a wet dust reclaimer with a 5 gal tub -some PVC fittings - and a cheap shop vacuum

Running a 60gal 220V 7HP Cambell Hausfeld compressor that I got from Lowes- don't remember the price but it was a display model.

With the Harbor Freight Gun- it would just keep up- however the replacement gun (don't remember where it came from) but it doesn't use as much air and the compressor has no problems.

A set of ear muffs from Harbor Freight is also requirement !!!

As far as finishing the parts?

I sometimes paint them- and will toss the part in the oven for 30 minutes at 210 degrees-paint cures really nice.

I have the Harbor Freight powdercoater- works great IF you use media from Summit or simular quality. The HF powdercoat media sux-

Got a cheap digital toaster oven for less than $100

Here's my hood hardware- "kromezone" powdercoat

So are you saying you spray paint then cure the paint in the toaster oven as well as the powder coated pieces?

And thanks...great stuff!!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

So are you saying you spray paint then cure the paint in the toaster oven as well as the powder coated pieces?

And thanks...great stuff!!
Yep- if I paint it- I'll cure it in the oven. After the 30 minutes in the oven- and cools for a few minutes - you are able to handle the piece without any issues.

I doesn't smell like cookies though-my wife will come down to the basement as say " Oh, you have been baking!!!"

Use the same oven for powdercoating, a lot hotter at 400- there is no odor at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Blasting cabinet recommendations

Old 02-14-2019, 06:51 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Yep- if I paint it- I'll cure it in the oven. After the 30 minutes in the oven- and cools for a few minutes - you are able to handle the piece without any issues.

I doesn't smell like cookies though-my wife will come down to the basement as say " Oh, you have been baking!!!"

Use the same oven for powdercoating, a lot hotter at 400- there is no odor at all.
Ok so if you have a two sided piece, how do you set it up? Maybe you figured out a way to hang them?
Old 02-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Ok so if you have a two sided piece, how do you set it up? Maybe you figured out a way to hang them?
S hooks AKA paperclips repurposed-

Old 02-14-2019, 08:26 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

S hooks AKA paperclips repurposed-

AWESOME. Thanks again! Last question (maybe)...when you have a piece that can’t hang, I see that you put down foil and set the piece on that while curing, but what about the section that’s touching the foil? Do you flip it over and heat again?

Last edited by mkalman4867; 02-15-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Blasting cabinet recommendations