Sponsored by:

Printed Curcuit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Pace Car BobH
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Printed Curcuit

I just purchased a 78 Pace Car. I need to replace the dash panel printed curcuit. What is the correct way to remove the three clips that the tach slides into, it powers the tach. I've been unable find this information.

Thanks for your help.

BobH
Old 02-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Which clips? This is the back of the speedo/tach

Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

I would assume he meant the three clips on the top right of your image, behind the tachometer, that aren't the twist-in lights.

I have the same question, and would love to have an answer (or a video), before I attempt to replace the printed circuit board.

Last edited by Bikespace; 02-14-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Pace Car BobH
Advanced

Exactly, it's the three clips to the upper right of your image. I'm just not sure if there is a trick to remove the clips to replace the PC without mangling the clips and the gauge carrier. I'm assuming the clips are removed from the front to the rear as you drive the car.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Pace Car BobH
I just purchased a 78 Pace Car.
BobH
Oooo! Now you need to post a full suite of interior and exterior pictures
Old 02-15-2019, 12:56 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

you need to remove the tach and give them a bit of a squeeze to get them to come out. Nothing complicated, no special tools.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

What operational problems are you experiencing? Before you 'assume' the P/C board is bad, you might want to remove all connectors, clean contacts and replace. 'Stuff' gets loose and corroded over that many years. Also, if one foil is torn/broken on the P/C board, that could be repaired without having to replace it. My advice is to check it out thoroughly and try to find the real 'cause' of your problems....then try to repair before just throwing money at it.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The clips shown in the picture below are easiest removed from the back side with a small flat head screw driver... as you put the screw driver under the backside you pinch down with your fingers on the other side... Just squeezing the clips from the inside can, and in most cases will result in a broken clip.

So go to the back side, ,slip a tiny flat head screw driver under the clip and work it outward while pinching with your fingers... taking your time.

The clips are not hard to get out but you don't want to break one, finding replacements has become expensive for us, and while I do have them in stock... the cost to buy them has gone through the roof... so take your time and you'll get them out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Willcox Corvette:
Bikespace (02-17-2019), cu79vette (04-24-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:12 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The clips shown in the picture below are easiest removed from the back side with a small flat head screw driver... as you put the screw driver under the backside you pinch down with your fingers on the other side... Just squeezing the clips from the inside can, and in most cases will result in a broken clip.

So go to the back side, ,slip a tiny flat head screw driver under the clip and work it outward while pinching with your fingers... taking your time.

The clips are not hard to get out but you don't want to break one, finding replacements has become expensive for us, and while I do have them in stock... the cost to buy them has gone through the roof... so take your time and you'll get them out.
Thanks Ernie! This is just what I was looking for.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Pace Car BobH
Advanced

I removed mine by using a curved needle nose pliers, by applying pressure from the front and pushing thru to the back. I had to release the clips a side at a time.

I needed to replace the printed circuit because it was torn in one corner. Even though my car only has 3,100 miles, someone else had the car apart before I got there.

Thanks to everyone for your reply.

Bob
Old 04-24-2019, 10:56 AM
cu79vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
What operational problems are you experiencing? Before you 'assume' the P/C board is bad, you might want to remove all connectors, clean contacts and replace. 'Stuff' gets loose and corroded over that many years. Also, if one foil is torn/broken on the P/C board, that could be repaired without having to replace it. My advice is to check it out thoroughly and try to find the real 'cause' of your problems....then try to repair before just throwing money at it.

Good luck.
Good advice. I have some foil torn and separated in spots but overall my PCB looks good. How can those issues be repaired? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:01 AM
cu79vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

Do you have these clips on the website? If so, what name are they under or can you provide a link? I want to be prepared in case I have an issue. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:11 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cu79vette
Good advice. I have some foil torn and separated in spots but overall my PCB looks good. How can those issues be repaired? Thanks!
I have heard you can use rear window defogger repair kit, google it should give you the instruction.
The following users liked this post:
cu79vette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:41 AM
cu79vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
I have heard you can use rear window defogger repair kit, google it should give you the instruction.
Thanks!! Looking that up now. I actually may be able to start with some good epoxy also.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:57 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by cu79vette
Do you have these clips on the website? If so, what name are they under or can you provide a link? I want to be prepared in case I have an issue. Thanks!
Yes I do, but they are discontinued and no longer available and I have a very limited supply.

But for you, take your time and work a small flat screw driver under the back side of the clip, then squeeze with your index and thumb and clips should come out. If you break one I can have it to you in a few days.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ner-clip-78-82

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Printed Curcuit

Quick Reply: Printed Curcuit