Sponsored by:

Checking birdcages using inspection cameras

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:57 PM
brandyspaw
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Checking birdcages using inspection cameras

How useful are those digital inspection cameras for inspecting the amount of rust in the birdcage areas? Is there enough room above the interior kick panels to probe with a flexible camera cable to see anything? Or will I still have to remove parts to properly inspect a car for rust?

I ask as I've been looking for a 68-72 Corvette lately and rather than asking owners to remove panels I thought it might be better to bring an inspection camera/borescope along. I just don't know if there is enough room to get in and use them without doing disassembly. Of course, they'd be handy to have for other uses in auto repair as well so I did order one. I was just wanting to know how much value they'd be to bring one along when I go to look at a potential purchase,.

Last edited by brandyspaw; 02-16-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:59 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by brandyspaw
How useful are those digital inspection cameras for inspecting the amount of rust in the birdcage areas? Is there enough room above the interior kick panels to probe with a flexible camera cable to see anything? Or will I still have to remove parts to properly inspect a car for rust?

I ask as I've been looking for a 68-72 Corvette lately and rather than asking owners to remove panels I thought it might be better to bring an inspection camera/borescope along. I just don't know if there is enough room to get in and use them without doing disassembly. Of course, they'd be handy to have for other uses in auto repair as well so I did order one. I was just wondering know how much value they'd to bring along when I go to look at a potential purchase,.
You basically have to look in every nook and cranny on these cars, verify history and turn them inside out to be sure you're not taken to the cleaners. Crooks are everywhere selling BS Corvettes and people buy them everyday unfortunately. Do your homework but be willing to pay for the "good ones" there out there too. Btw, if the seller hesitates putting the car on a lift it might be a good time to walk. It's your money spend it wisely.
Good Luck
Old 02-16-2019, 11:20 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

You may find this recent C2 Forum thread useful.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-birdcage.html
Old 02-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Yes.....There is room to go up and over the kick panel trim. I did exactly that on my 72 when I bought it.....The guy did have a lift so I got a good look underneath. Even if they will not allow you to take off the inside trim around the windshield ask to remove and put back each screw. All holes should still have good threads left.

Brian
The following users liked this post:
Dagious (02-26-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:19 PM
brandyspaw
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks to all for the info. I'll certainly ask if they'll let me remove the trim to get a better idea of the condition but I want something just in case. For example, I just looked at a Corvette and the seller refused to allow me to remove anything. But then I think the birdcage wasn't the only thing he was trying to hide so that car was scratched off the short list.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I think you could scootch the borescope over top of kick panel to see down to #2 body mount without removing it.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

2 points here. First if you look under the car & if the frame is nice & clean with minimal surface rust then it's probably not a problem if rusty or painted black it needs checked big time. Second look at the A pillars & windshield header bar. If you can feel rust or have some fall off if you rub your fingers under the plastic trim or see rust or bubbling down the A pillars there is probably rust all the way to the front body mount. I have looked at many C-3'S that had nice frames even the ones from the south that had nice frames but rusty Windshield frames which are a bitch to repair. You don't need a scope or tear hell out of a guys Corvette. I would never let someone tear parts off my cars. Put it on a lift & look with 7 of your expert buddies but except removing the air cleaner I would not remove a screw.

Get notified of new replies

To Checking birdcages using inspection cameras

Quick Reply: Checking birdcages using inspection cameras