Sponsored by:

side pipe ID question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default side pipe ID question

I bought my '74 with the chrome side pipes (aftermarket) and headers already on the car. the headers are discolored but in good condition. the side pipes have pin holes and some rot holes on the bottom of the tubes so I want to replace them,. my question is how do I know who's make header it is so I can buy a replacement side pipe. I don't see the normal "hooker" badge on the header nor do I see any other stamping's. I see you can buy Hooker and Dougs replacement side pipe tubes, are they all the same? I just don't want to buy one that either wont bolt up or my muffler inserts don't slide into. Is there any way to tell the side tubes apart, I figured someone else on here must have come across this dilemma once or twice?
Paul

Last edited by Lyndwood; 03-16-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

No answers? I believe the side pipes are basically the same. There may be 3 1/2" versions around, but most likely you have 4" pipes. The inserts are almost certainly all interchangeable, so the pipes should be as well.

For my Craigslist headers, the PO bought a set of 4" diesel truck smoke stacks. Whatever fits I s'pose.

Check with Jegs or Summit or wherever first to see if they accept returns on these items (even when they fit, they won't be "new" after you test fit them). Or buy them from Amazon (or Costco!), who never seem to question returns.
The following users liked this post:
Lyndwood (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:53 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

My experience was when inserting a Dougs muffler into a Hooker side pipe the fit was extremely tight, I dont think the mufflers will ever come out. So there may be a slight fractional variation in dimensions.
The following users liked this post:
Lyndwood (03-17-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To side pipe ID question

Quick Reply: side pipe ID question