Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound system upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 11:19 AM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Years ago...R&T (I think) Mag had an 'April fools edition'....following the same time-old 'young guys obsessing about stereos'.

They flipped it on it's ear...
Cut the Air cleaner apart and installed two horn tweeters in the lid...and tongue and cheek claimed that 'gas mileage and performance' went up due to the sound pressure waves atomizing the fuel more efficiently! They went on to 'rate' what songs gave you the most performance....I think Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon won.
They took the car to the drag strip.

Frankly...a remote stereo in the jack compartment 'wins' for me.

Love the yellow! 'Stairway to Heaven' is good for .6 seconds in the quarter.

Unkahal
Old 03-26-2019, 11:24 AM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default Tear your head off you BET!

Originally Posted by gjohnson
Dont cut anything. Keep it stock and get a Portable Blu tooth rig.Heres mine. It will tear your head off.
Some years ago as a Senior Mechanical Engineer I was responsible for all the crash tests at this particular factory. 30 mph impact is 20G's....how much does that unsecured speaker box weigh?....multiply times 20 and THINK about what form of maiming you will endure (or not)!
NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL. Secure the box for AT LEAST 20G's.
Nobody dies on my watch! Be safe...tunes are not worth DEATH!
UnkaHal
Old 03-26-2019, 12:40 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Thinking about the results of 'actions taken'??? Come on.....we drive Corvettes, man!!
Old 03-26-2019, 06:13 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

=platinummaker;1599111374
Nonn37 I really like your stealth aporoach. Can you share what controller and remote you’re using. Is it hardwired, IR, or RF?
Thanks much. Dave
Kenwood Kac-M1824BT. its basically a mini amp( i put it behind the mappocket panel. And get power from the original radio wires, and input from the radio(speakers out).
THe controller is included with the mini amp. it is wired to the amp. ran the wire under the center console.on the ashtray I dremel out the sqaure to get it to sit flush.(the control has a insert case that the control fits into) epoxied the remote case to the dash.
When you turn on the bluetooth it overides the other inputs so the radio signal dies out even tho its still technically on(you dont need a radio, works as a stand alone, but you can input other device). Since its wired with the radio the bluetooth only powers on with radio and key so it wont drain.

the amp has rca utputs for speakers and i have aftermarket 4 4x6 indash and foot. I can use regular speakers because the amp is between the oem radio and aftermarket speakers(it acts as a normal amp with bluetooth off). i plan on outputing another amplifier to add 6x9s or subs in the rear. you can plug in a usb to charge your phone but not input sound. also no mics or anything for handsfree calling. still pretty nice out of the box.

Last edited by NONN37; 03-26-2019 at 06:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
platinummaker (03-27-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Cdub270
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the car and make it your own, upgrade it , but save the orignal parts , just incase you want to become an old purist one day ,,LOL, and enjoy it the first thing I did with my 72 and 82 was upgrade the sound system and Im still young at ripe strappen young age of 52 ....enjoy the car.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:06 AM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Stev-o
I recently upgraded the system in my '70 convertible and changed out the gauge bezel as Craig suggested above.
[The previous owner did a crap job of cutting the original trim to fit an aftermarket stereo].

I installed an Alpine double din system, they are not expensive at all. Since I need to change my cracked dash pad, I installed new Infinity 4x6" speakers in the original place by the windshield, but they do not put out much good sound. I then added two 6x9" Infinity's in boxes in the cargo area behind the seats.

The sound now is very good but still not loud enough above 40 mph when I want to rock out. I bought an amp and will be installing it soon.

Some guys may recommend Custom Autosound, my buddy has one, it is crap, dont waste your money.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Stev-O, where did you get the DIN ready gauge bezel?
Old 11-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjamison
Hey Stev-O, where did you get the DIN ready gauge bezel?

Hey Scott...I believe I bought it here...

https://www.corvettepacifica.com/sea...&submit=SEARCH

Quick Reply: Sound system upgrade.