Sponsored by:

rectangular pop up headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:09 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 544 Posts

Default rectangular pop up headlights

I have come across a thread or two about swapping out the OEM lights for a 4 rectangular light set up. Not the FIAA things behind the plexiglass, but a true pip up system.Those threads are pretty old so I can't access a lot of the pics or links. I thought I had my build all figured out until I saw some of those pictures and now my TO DO list just got longer. If anyone has any info on this type of swap I would love to hear it. I know that the company that made the kits is no longer around, but I want to start with what make/model gm cars would have a set up for the swap. I know this thread will appeal to only a few, but I would appreciate whatever I can find out. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I did this change out in steps over the years, the OEM lights got wiped out by a deer back in '98, and so in went the Eckler's sugar scoops, and the taller rectangular bulbs they used, then a truck backed his fugly hitch into the left front and wiped out a bunch of crap....so went to the shorter rectangular fixed bulbs and reduced the opening from that huge gap, down some 50% fore/aft.......and the later F body lights GLASS and from junkyard complete with all the mountng/adjustment hardware, made my own mounts from PVC plastic from hardware store, and stainless screws and GOOD glue, they stable today about 15 years later.....AND on the glass I found, the bulbs were glued in, so replacement is simple.....

see pix below.....

BTW, my concept before, the first wipe out was to use these bulbs in the operating setup, but opening about 1/2 as high, and electric ......well so much for those DEER thoughts......
Old 06-10-2019, 07:47 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Mr V. your pictures didn't come through so please try again. I figured from what I was able to find out that the later F body was where I needed to go for the guts, and fabbing up some mounts. ANd I also read that I will need to cut off some of the aluminum behind the old set up. Not an issue for me. I have already made the electric motor swap on the lights. I feel myself getting sucked into a big dark hole. But I just loved the look on the ones I came across. Then I just found one of the bezels for $30, and it's off to the races....Thanks.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

apparently there are about 4 or 5 different pop up f body headlights. What year did you use. I had a 68 Firebird vert. So to me a 71 is a late f body.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:33 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

I am siting here outside of Charleston waiting for the hurricane to show up and thought it might be a good time to finish up this thread. I managed to get my hands on the driver side bezel, which is what was holding me up. Many thanks to everyone who helped me track it down a guy who had one, including AllVettesForMe and 13Bats. Thanks for Mr Picasso for the inspiration. WHile I was at it I managed to finish up my Probe motor elec headlight conversion, and thanks to Richard454 for the wiring help. I also wanted to be able to leave these new lights up anytime at all for all to see, so I got ahold of a C2 headlight bucket switch and wired it up accordingly. I have been working on this project for about 4 years and with a frame off, L98 engine build with computer etc, this has been the most rewarding thing so far. Of course I haven't driven the car yet, only sat in the garage and blinked my lights at the wall. I will come back later and post a video, once I figure out how to do it.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5542.MOV (1.32 MB, 13 views)

Last edited by kanvasman; 09-02-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: trying to add video
The following 2 users liked this post by kanvasman:
Picasso451 (09-02-2019), qwank (09-03-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:51 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

IMG_5535.MOV
Old 09-02-2019, 01:53 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Any tips on posting video would be a big help. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:48 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Any tips on posting video would be a big help. Thanks.
post it to you tube , then copy the link across

EDIT , the link you posted works fine for me .!!!

Last edited by bazza77; 09-02-2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: watched link after posting.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here you go Jim-

That turned out great!!! I was going to edit the video -and add a sound track of the Door's "Riders on the storm!!!"

The following users liked this post:
qwank (09-03-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 07:28 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Ha, thank you guys. I didn't know about the you tube thing until I searched the forum and had the correct words to get the right answers. WIll do more with some other video I have. Richard, thanks again for the tips on the flip up headlights and relays. I am actually getting a lot of my wiring done right now and underrstanding the purpose of relays helps. The bulbs I used are halogens ( used similar round ones 30 years ago on a C2) , but I think the big difference was the larger wire that I can use because of the relays.
The following users liked this post:
qwank (09-03-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To rectangular pop up headlights

Quick Reply: rectangular pop up headlights