Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rectangular pop up headlights

Old 06-10-2019, 07:09 PM
kanvasman
CF Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 79 Posts
Default rectangular pop up headlights

I have come across a thread or two about swapping out the OEM lights for a 4 rectangular light set up. Not the FIAA things behind the plexiglass, but a true pip up system.Those threads are pretty old so I can't access a lot of the pics or links. I thought I had my build all figured out until I saw some of those pictures and now my TO DO list just got longer. If anyone has any info on this type of swap I would love to hear it. I know that the company that made the kits is no longer around, but I want to start with what make/model gm cars would have a set up for the swap. I know this thread will appeal to only a few, but I would appreciate whatever I can find out. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 PM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Received 134 Likes on 128 Posts

I did this change out in steps over the years, the OEM lights got wiped out by a deer back in '98, and so in went the Eckler's sugar scoops, and the taller rectangular bulbs they used, then a truck backed his fugly hitch into the left front and wiped out a bunch of crap....so went to the shorter rectangular fixed bulbs and reduced the opening from that huge gap, down some 50% fore/aft.......and the later F body lights GLASS and from junkyard complete with all the mountng/adjustment hardware, made my own mounts from PVC plastic from hardware store, and stainless screws and GOOD glue, they stable today about 15 years later.....AND on the glass I found, the bulbs were glued in, so replacement is simple.....

see pix below.....

BTW, my concept before, the first wipe out was to use these bulbs in the operating setup, but opening about 1/2 as high, and electric ......well so much for those DEER thoughts......
Old 06-10-2019, 07:47 PM
kanvasman
CF Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 79 Posts

Mr V. your pictures didn't come through so please try again. I figured from what I was able to find out that the later F body was where I needed to go for the guts, and fabbing up some mounts. ANd I also read that I will need to cut off some of the aluminum behind the old set up. Not an issue for me. I have already made the electric motor swap on the lights. I feel myself getting sucked into a big dark hole. But I just loved the look on the ones I came across. Then I just found one of the bezels for $30, and it's off to the races....Thanks.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 PM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

Received 661 Likes on 611 Posts

apparently there are about 4 or 5 different pop up f body headlights. What year did you use. I had a 68 Firebird vert. So to me a 71 is a late f body.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rectangular pop up headlights

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: