Pertronix Q?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 11:25 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default Pertronix Q?

Hi guys, I installed a pertronix 3 in my 68 distributor. I called pertronix they said the original resistor wire can be used as long as there is 9v minimum . Now my Q is:
what is the voltage of the OEM feed wire?
should i remove it from the harness and install a normal wire?
give me your thoughts all! Thanks troy

HAPPY 4TH ! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Old 07-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Saddlehorn
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

On my Pertronix install I shortened the resistor wire and and it has worked OK for over 2 years. Got lazy and have not run a new wire - yet. I know it's recommended to run a new wire from the fuse block to get a full 12 volts, but Pertronix is right, it will operate OK with the resistor wire in place. If you go this route, just cut it shorter and replace with some good 12 ga wire to lower the resistance.
The following users liked this post:
20round (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:08 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I have had Pertronix 1, 2 and now 3 on my 69. I did not remove the resistor wire and left it connected normally. I just ran a 12ga bypass wire from the IGN terminal on the fuse box to the coil. I can change back to points in less than 20 mins and nothing on the original wire harness has been removed or worse, left hanging there waiting to short out on something. I found with the resistor wire only it worked fine but the problem is if if you have a really cold day or a low battery it isn't going to fire. I ran the bypass wire from the empty fuse box IGN terminal across just above the steering column and through one of the upper carpet/insulation plugs that go through the firewall just to the left of the upper gas pedal assembly mounting bolts and comes out less than 6 inches from the base of the coil. The plugs are hollow except for the pointed tip at the end on the engine side. Clip the tip off and the wire fits right through the rubber grommet for an excellent insulator through the firewall.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 07-04-2019 at 01:13 PM.
20round (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 05:23 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I first hooked a pertronix up to the ignition wire (had the 9v they wanted) and it was ok, until I turned the headlights on.... on the test drive, far from the garage.... go figure
Leave the resistance wire, run a new one, labe and tape everything to allow you to reconnect the points easily if you get stuck somewhere
M
20round (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 10:01 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Thanks guys. You confirmed everything I was thinking. I will run a clean line to it. But I will not eliminate the factory wires.

Get notified of new replies

To Pertronix Q?

Quick Reply: Pertronix Q?