Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 08:39 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Marilyn's journey with Corby

Hello C3 crew,

I'm going to use this to document the changes I make with my - new to me - '68 Convertible. Here are my plans.

Short term:
Interior Fasteners - already ordered and shipped.
Radio (currently radio delete) - Radio received, speakers, wire, connectors, etc. ordered and shipped.
Exhaust, Side Pipes - When my travel restrictions are lifted, I'm going to get some headers. The rest will be budgeted for next month - including black powder coating
Keyless Entry (not power locks) - system ordered and in shipment.
Shifter Linkage (she's locked in gear on me twice already) - Need to order kit.
Power Windows - Budgeted for May 20.

Long term:
Electric Headlight Upgrade - Haven't decided on this yet
Electric Wiper Door/Motor Upgrade - haven't decided on this yet, either
Paint - she's a lovely driver currently, we'll get her a new dress, perhaps in a different color. She'll also need some body and bright work.
Frame Maintenance, Suspension/Rear End Upgrade
Stroke the Engine - currently a 350 crate engine, circa 79 (roughly), plan to take to to 383. I need to talk to some experts - maybe a hot rod shop for recon.
5 or 6 Speed Upgrade - maybe, I'd like to find someone that's done it and ride in theirs.

I'll also be sprinkling in wiring fixes and LED bulbs. I'd like to look into fixes for the clock, as well. I'm sure the list will grow.

As you can see, lofty goals. What I can do, I will. I love to learn, and I've got friends that are willing to assist. What I can't do, I'll manage via shop(s).

See below for her current condition.

Cheers,
Corby
Attached Images       
The following 8 users liked this post by Corby'sMarilyn68:
20mercury (03-26-2020), carriljc (05-01-2024), crb1961 (07-24-2020), Haggisbash (03-27-2020), Hopper12 (01-28-2021), Jstan2014 (07-22-2020), Newbomb2469 (05-01-2024), Rescue Rogers (03-27-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,127 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Very nice...good taste in color too

of course I’m biased

With hard top

Gill chrome and 69 side exhaust
The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
Corby'sMarilyn68 (03-27-2020), Hopper12 (01-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2020, 03:49 PM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

The name is cool.
The following users liked this post:
Corby'sMarilyn68 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 12:23 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Marilyn is hot!
Corby'sMarilyn68 (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 05:39 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone - I'm extremely satisfied with her. I even get to wrench on her.

For instance, I'm chasing a leak in the power steering. Thus far, I've just cleaned the grease off (first pic), but it looks like I'm going to have to pull the Control Valve completely off and replace the o-rings. It seems to be coming from the connectors on the top. I didn't get a before pic - I'll work on getting better on those.

She's stuck in third a couple of times, so I did some research on the shift linkage (Quite poor second pic), and will wind up ordering a kit. For now, I just cleaned them, and I'll be gentle when I shift. Two good things: 1) I know what's happening now when it happens. 2) In third she still drives, from a stop even (not a great practice, I know, but needs must), so I can get her home. One other good thing - I know how to get it out of gear with just some channel locks. On the bad side, it can't be done with her sitting on the ground, so if it happens while I'm out, I'll have to put the left front tire up on a curb or something - if that will give me enough clearance to reach the linkages. So, the Linkage Kit may move up the list of projects. I found a set of instructions posted on a different page, so I attached that, too.

This (past) week I've received the radio, the 4x6's (still working out how to mount them behind the kick panel), and the keyless entry system, so there's plenty to do. Hopefully I don't screw up the wiring too much. The goal is to get them working - I can go back and make them sexier later, when I've learned better techniques - perhaps I could volunteer on fellow forum members projects and learn some.

Hope you guys are staying safe, and still enjoying life. Now I'm going to re-heat some left overs from an awesome lunch - a version of this
, then I'll enjoy some tequila, and perhaps a root beer.

Later, crew,
Corby
Attached Images   
Attached Images
Old 04-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I gave her some lungs - I successfully tested the radio. Unfortunately, I couldn't try it while running because while installing the radio I broke the plastic line feeding the Oil Pressure Gauge. That's the next fix, along with the clock. All the necessary components are in shipment. A big thanks to Corvette Ben for help with the housing, wire and two prong plug.

The radio is by no means a professional install, but it's functional. I'll clean it up later. Like maybe this winter. Earlier, if it has issues. I'm still waiting on the boxes for the rear speakers, as well as the antenna. Both of which I'll have to figure out how to wire. I did find rear speaker wires near the radio, I just need to climb in the back and find the other ends. The antenna may prove more challenging. For now, I'm racking out. I'll be up early tomorrow to get to Home Depot for some hardware.

Everybody stay safe.

Corby
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2020, 08:39 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

So, I've been gathering ideas and thoughts.

I just tested the re-wiring of the center gauge cluster (with a short cruise, obviously). All gauges are good save the Oil Pressure Gauge (which I recently upgraded to electric, and was previously operating fine). Referencing other posts, it seems the Ohms wire from the sender isn't connecting. I had to pull it back out, anyway, to finish the LED light install.

I put in some LED strips, just have to wait on a 12V cigarets lighter splitter so I don't have to break apart and re-wire a cigarette lighter to USB plug. I'll just cut one of the sides off and wire it up to the gauge light power and ground. Seems pretty simple, but we shall see. Currently, it's SO much simpler to disconnect. I'll have to figure out were to put all the wires now - plenty of extra length. Next, I'm going to try new connectors for the wiper controls.

I've got the PS control valve in, so that will be swapped out, likely this weekend. I also received Richard454's new electric headlight kit, and I'm looking forward to installing those. New valve cover gaskets are on the way, as I have a bit of a leak, and I'll need to get new hoses that lead from the reservoir to the radiator. They must be cracked, because they seep fluid. I'm fairly certain it's an aftermarket setup (it's a crate engine from the late 70's), so it would probably just be easier to take them off and have the guys at the auto parts store check their inventory for something close.

Also this weekend, I'm planning to disassemble the shift linkage and give the connectors an upgrade/cleaning/replacement. It keeps getting stuck in 3rd on me (the resolution of which I found on a different post. I've already priced a 6 speed manual, which we in the plans, anyway. I'd like to wait for winter on that project, but if the connector upgrade doesn't fix the linkage, it may move up.

These forums, and all you guys willing to share knowledge and wisdom, are awesome. Many thanks!

Pics of the wiring change are below, plus the setup for the LED lights, and how they looked plugged into the wall (without gauges).
Attached Images       

Last edited by Corby'sMarilyn68; 04-23-2020 at 08:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corby'sMarilyn68:
carriljc (05-03-2020), platinummaker (03-28-2021)
Old 04-23-2020, 09:08 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Wow, what a nice wiring job. The factory setup is like someone tossed a bowl of spaghetti back there.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:45 AM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Indeed - very short spaghetti. And thanks!
Old 04-24-2020, 09:59 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,741 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Corby'sMarilyn68
Indeed - very short spaghetti. And thanks!

Ahhhh- I see you used the Deutsch connectors. I really like them for smaller wires - Good Job!!!
Old 07-21-2020, 08:55 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

At long last, an update - between the extra work from COVID impacts and working on her, I haven't been sharing anything, apologies.

I got the side pipes installed (many thanks to Paul71LT1). I went through couple of fuses with the wiring, and decided to run it to see what all was the issue. There seems to be a lot of "bubba"-ing behind the dash, so that's high on the list of things to fix. I've been without a radio (no biggie) and gauges (bit of an issue) for a couple of weeks. I got her left dash out to run the wiring, and had friends come into town. So, I put the dash back in and took them on joy rides. Worth it. Now I have to take the dash back out to get back at the wiring. Not sure if I want to fix the current harness, or just upgrade to one of the pre-fabbed ones. Price is an option, so I'll have to see just how much potential work is associated with the current one. Plus, it'd be nice to get the newer fuse type into her.

I've noticed that she gets quite warm after about 30 minutes on the road, so I'll be putting in thermal barrier this winter, and may look at shut-off valves for the heater lines into the passenger compartment.

I got her new engine today, a Gen V L83, that I've got an LT4 supercharger for. That will provide me with some fun nights of checking, gapping the rings, installing a new cam, and deleting the DOD system. Then I get to figure out how to mount the supercharger, and which spindle (if that's the right word) will line up with the accessory drive. And how to tune (lots of friends that tune - think I might take it up as a side job, myself).

I've got a T56 on order, I'm just paying it down each month. I'll make the drivetrain a winter project, as well. Though I'll likely find a local shop to actually install it - I don't want to eff-up the geometry. (More money, but that's one of the joys of having them, isn't it? Plus, I'm only working with jack stands and floor jacks. A two post lift would be amazing . . .)

Did I mention that I installed the electric headlight kit from Richard454? It's awesome. I'm looking forward to the electric wiper/wiper door setup. Then I can take all the vacuum out from behind the dash. I guess I could get most of it now, as much seems to be for the headlights.

I'll try to get a pic of the side pipes tomorrow. I didn't have my phone on me today when I got the delivery of the engine. After I got it on the stand, I put everything back in the (one car) garage and didn't feel like dragging it back out just for a picture. What can I say - I got lazy. Plus I had to get back to work.

Last edited by Corby'sMarilyn68; 07-21-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a pick of tonight's "after dinner" project. Now, onto the other side! I haven't powered them yet, I'll work on that later.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Corby'sMarilyn68; 01-27-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:16 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,741 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

WOW- that (can't say those yet!) turned out great!!!

OH- have fun running the wires and keeping them away from the window & track.

Richard
Old 01-28-2021, 10:04 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,093 Likes on 997 Posts

Hey Corby, I somehow missed your thread when started. Great looking '68 and I really like what you're doing. Nice quality work! Stay well, Paul
Old 01-29-2021, 09:19 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Richard454
WOW- that (can't say those yet!) turned out great!!!

OH- have fun running the wires and keeping them away from the window & track.

Richard
I'm quite happy with (them). I'm sure the wiring and routing will be a challenge. As will getting the windows and tracks back in . . .

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Hey Corby, I somehow missed your thread when started. Great looking '68 and I really like what you're doing. Nice quality work! Stay well, Paul
Thanks Paul, I'm quite delighted with her, especially since I get to make her mine.

On that note, I got the second mirror hung tonight, and grabbed a few shots, including two of approximately my views from the driver's seat for each one. I'm not sure I could have hung them any different, given how the metal on the backing of the door panel bends. However, if I could make changes, I'd've hung them a little more nose down, as they will live at the very top of their range of motion while I own her (which will be for a long time, if I have anything to say about it). Enjoy!
Attached Images      

Last edited by Corby'sMarilyn68; 01-29-2021 at 09:20 PM.
carriljc (05-01-2024)
Old 01-30-2021, 10:37 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Wow! A right side mirror from which you can actually see something beside & behind you. Flat-glass right side C3 mirrors suck!
Old 03-02-2021, 11:38 AM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I took her for a drive last week - the mirrors are a game changer! I'm working on getting the doors back together - and the handles are a challenge. Going to break out the Dremel and figure this **** out. I put on new latch mechanisms, so the gaps are all wonky - I'm planning to slot the mechanism and the handle so I can mount them. I'll post pics of progress. Here's a pic after I got back from my drive last week.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Corby'sMarilyn68; 03-02-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Marilyn's journey with Corby

Old 03-27-2021, 10:01 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I finally got the doors back together, pics of wire routing below. Also, a few shots from the mirror mounting process and how I handled mounting the door latch on the new interior hardware.

I took her for a ride today, it was lovely. Hope everyone's doing well.
Attached Images        
Old 05-01-2024, 06:44 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 930 Likes on 804 Posts

Corby'sMarilyn68
Wow. Those mirrors look pretty dang good. Where did you get them?

Originally Posted by Corby'sMarilyn68
I'm quite happy with (them). I'm sure the wiring and routing will be a challenge. As will getting the windows and tracks back in . . .

Thanks Paul, I'm quite delighted with her, especially since I get to make her mine.

On that note, I got the second mirror hung tonight, and grabbed a few shots, including two of approximately my views from the driver's seat for each one. I'm not sure I could have hung them any different, given how the metal on the backing of the door panel bends. However, if I could make changes, I'd've hung them a little more nose down, as they will live at the very top of their range of motion while I own her (which will be for a long time, if I have anything to say about it). Enjoy!
Old 05-01-2024, 07:02 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 861 Likes on 589 Posts

So I just stumbled across this thread after Mr Carriljc posted and brought it back. The car looks fantastic. I put the same mirrors on my 78 and WISH I had done as nice a job inside the door as you have. I had to cut up the door skin itself on the inside so that I could reach the nuts for installing the mirrors. My template looked just like yours with circles crossed out. FWIW they are C6 mirrors. Same as the ones on my 2012 C6 and I got mine from Rock Auto. A few years ago they were less that $120/pair. As you said, they are a game changer, you can actually see what is behind and next to you. Great work.

Quick Reply: Marilyn's journey with Corby